legalities - boot smoothing

Detailing & Bodywork
Rupie
Bronze Member

legalities - boot smoothing

Post by Rupie »

just wondering if anyone knows the legalities of having a full boot smooth on say a 6n? with no recess for the numberplate ive seen alot of people sticking them in their rear windows... doesnt this casuse a problem as they are not lit etc? anyone been pulled for it?
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

i think they have to be lit up, can be anywhere on the back but have to be lit up at night.. don't quote me on it though
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I was thinking about this the otherday, numberplate lights are listed in MOT check lists, so I'm sure it would be illegal to not have a light at all.
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

yeah, i knew you needed it lit, but was wondering if its illegal to have it behind your rear window? surely the glare/etc could hide it from cameras? :lol:
Josh_polo
Gold Member

Post by Josh_polo »

On my old project 6n i had a fully smoothed boot and the number platesd mounted on the back bumper with no lights over it... dunno if it was legal though, always got pulled over for routine checks and nothing ever said.

[/img]
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

ohhhh... seems weird, unless u were pulled at night they probably wouldnt realise.
dunno, probably just depends how anal the cop decides to be...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Rupie wrote:probably just depends how anal the cop decides to be...
Yeh it's exactly that.

It's definitely illegal to not have a light on the rear plate. And I'd say it's also definitely illegal to have it in the rear window, just for the reason you've stated and because it will also have no light source there either.
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

haha yeah... so the next question:P
can you get lights for your plates if your going for a boot smooth? ive seen one on here thats had them flipped, and the holes in the top filled, think its that rather delicious blue mk4 belonging to mk4mike.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh course you can, there's all sorts of different numberplate lights out there, one of them will be the right angle and size. It's just a case of working out what you want, and finding it.
Supraking
New

Post by Supraking »

for lights i have seen a few people that have led washer jets at each side of the plate as long as you have white ones ull have no bother
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

They are more likely to be actual numberplate clips, you can buy them for the fully smoothed bumpers nowadays
6n_polo
New

Post by 6n_polo »

aslong as the number plate is lit up it can be mounted anywhere on the back of the car. as far as lights are concerned the light must not be directly visible to the vehicle behind. Therefore you can use l.e.d washer jets as they are not a direct light behind. You can get away with only having a number plate light for the test but i imagine if the eagle eyed plod catch you without any then your most likely looking at a fine. Hope that helps.