new cleaning stuff needed

Detailing & Bodywork
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

new cleaning stuff needed

Post by pip_polo »

right well up until about a month ago i used a sponge and 1 bucket..

now i've been doing 2 bucket method, still with a sponge :lol:

but what i want are a list of good things to use, any maybe links to buy them online?

i have shampoo, and autoglym SRP.

so i need stuff like mitts, polish applicator pads/take off pads.

and what ever else to get the car looking a bith healthier.

don't want to be spending uber loads, but baisicaly to get my car really shiney.

also though about clay, but i think i'll fcuk it up and kill my car lol

any thoughs/recomendations?

cheers
(looked on detailing world and it's all for super detailers and can't find owt that isn't toooo much effort to do lol)
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

Right, here goes. This is my "On a Budget" list of products to get, solely from my own experience.

- Wash using the TBM, with a lambswool mitt like this. And clean the wheels using shampoo and a sponge. Dry with a towel/chamois or whatever you feel comfortable with, I use one of these. I spray a bit of detailing spray before drying, which makes the surface a lot easier to dry.
- Next you can clay, or if you have clayed recently, go straight to the polishing. Apply the SRP VERY sparingly using one of these. Buff off with a microfibre cloth, I use these, they're awesome.
- Next is applying the wax. This is getting a lot of good press at the moment. Apply it with the supplied supplied applicator, and buff off with a towel. You can spray a bit of quick detailer on the surface, to add some extra gloss and to remove excess dust.

There are loads of sites where you can buy these products, my recommendations are;

www.seriousperformance.co.uk
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
www.detailedobsession.co.uk
www.elitecarcare.co.uk
www.cleanandshiny.co.uk

And if you want some more information, and if you aren't worried about hundreds of acronyms, try;

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

yeah the acronyms are allover, the reason i stopped looking.

whats the best ways to clean, polish etc..

bit of a step by step needed tbh.

obv i know bout washing, to do that first :lol:

btw ollie, i've bought basicaly the stuff you mentioned.

cheers
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

If you've bought the AutoBalm, Pip, you should be able to skip the SRP in fact, as it's an All-in-One product. And it's meant to hide swirl marks and scratches quite well. And the durability is meant to be awesome as well.

When applying the polish, dampen the applicator pad, as it helps make the polish go a lot further. A 10p sized blob should be enough to do the bonnet, and try not to cake it on. Apply to the whole car, and let it cure for around 20-30 minutes. Buff off, and add further layers if required.

When washing, try to rinse the mitt in the second wash bucket with clean water. Then, run your fingers through the mitt quite roughly to remove any other grit then rinse again. To dry, get your towel or chamois and lay it on the panel if it's horizontal. You can either pat the panel dry or drag it along the panel, it's your choice. If the panel is vertical, I tend to get the towel and fold it, then you mop up the excess water. A good way to get minimal water on the car after washing is to use an open-ended hose and you try to run the water off the surface, which is called "sheeting".

Have I missed any thing there?
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

no i didn't get the auto balm.

after the autoglym SRP whats the best thing to do? or is that it
(too keep the shine)
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

pip_polo wrote:no i didn't get the auto balm.

after the autoglym SRP whats the best thing to do? or is that it
(too keep the shine)

Personally i use www.cleanyourcar.co.uk for all my car stuff.... They've now started up a points system so that the more you you spend the more points you get which can then be taken back as cash off following orders etc.....

I apply snow foam to the car firstly then leave for a few mins before then going round and washing with a lambswool washmit. My washmits are cycled every 12 months.... i.e. i get a new one every 12 months and the old one gets relegated to wheel / exhaust washing only.

Polish/wax wise i use microfibre cloths to apply and buff up the SRP then megs foam applicators (slightly dampened) to apply the wax with a microfibre cloth to buff off and another to finally buff over the car.

Then smooth peanut butter to get rid of any wax marks on the plastic trim on the car..... Sounds daft but it works..... It's the peanut oil in the peanut butter that "moisturises" the plastic!!!

More importantly the cleanyourcar lot do this following guide which may be of some use to you regard your question above.....

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/generalImg/guide.gif

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

Dave.
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

cheers for that.

so after i've buffed off the SRP whats the best 'sealent' or wax to put on after then?

must be cheap ish lol
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

pip_polo wrote:cheers for that.

so after i've buffed off the SRP whats the best 'sealent' or wax to put on after then?

must be cheap ish lol

I'm currently using Collinite 476S as it's had some good reviews regarding it's durability. As mine's a black car i used to use Swissol Onyx as it gave a really deep shine but it's a lot more expensive than the Collinite.

You can see some pics of mine after 2 coats of SRP then 2 coats of the Collinite in this thread.....

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... 004b92e40a

Cheers

Dave.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I also use collinite 476s, it's brilliant wax!
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

ah yes i remember reading that thread, lol @ the dog.

i may have to buy some off that then.

also when you said about putting that snow stuff on. i'm guessing it's just shampoo in a bottle through a power wash and left to 'loosen' up dort of the car?
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

pip_polo wrote:ah yes i remember reading that thread, lol @ the dog.

i may have to buy some off that then.

also when you said about putting that snow stuff on. i'm guessing it's just shampoo in a bottle through a power wash and left to 'loosen' up dort of the car?
It's actually called snow foam and is a concentrated soap.... You use a snow foam lance with a pressure washer and it comes out really thick and covers the car.....

Cheers

Dave.
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

quite expensive

as i don't have a karcher (sp) power wash i have an aldi one 8) i doubt it'l fit.

but i could always go for this
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_i ... cts_id=188

i'm guessing it's alot easier to use and quicker?

i actually think we have a karcher attachment from back in the day of our old karcher (that i put on the dustbin out way of water and it fell off :lol: )

i'll remind my dad we need a new one :)
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

The Gilmour is alright, I wouldn't recommend it however. I have one, and it creates some nice foam, but it doesn't have that much cleaning power. I've tried different dilutions and it hasn't impressed me.

I'm going against the Collinite grain here, but I recommend this;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/poorb ... od_11.html

It's sooo easy to apply and it leaves the paint looking glossy and wet 8)

Collinite 476 has awesome durability, and is a great contender for the money.
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

'The first thing we recommend you doing when you get this is to smell it, it smells just like bubble gum'

it has to be good for this to be the first thing in the description :lol:

i dont think i'll get any wax yet never used it so might wait.
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

the drying towel really does dry good, i didn't like it at first but it soaks up so well and i didn't even need to ring it out it did the whole car.

also if anyone is after a real sheep skin wool mit there buy one get one free with free postage http://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/