water leek though carpet

Detailing & Bodywork
matsaul
New

water leek though carpet

Post by matsaul »

Just in front of the passenger seat I have a water leek. Seems to be just in one particular area. I can feel it squelching. Can not see any leeks from the door or roof.
Would anybody know how to remove the carpet? This would give me a better idea.

polo 1.4 2002
Mike
Bronze Member

Post by Mike »

your going to need to take the seats out and the centre consul, check your header tank, it maybe the heater matrix is leaking.
92 rocks
Bronze Member

Post by 92 rocks »

seconded for the matrix
The_phat_controlleruk
Silver Member

Re: water leek though carpet

Post by The_phat_controlleruk »

Check the drainage holes under the scuttle are blocked, mine were and the water would run off the roof and straight into the car when ever I washed the car.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If its the heater matrix, the water will smell sweet (coolant)
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

matsaul wrote:Just in front of the passenger seat I have a water leek. Seems to be just in one particular area. I can feel it squelching. Can not see any leeks from the door or roof.
Would anybody know how to remove the carpet? This would give me a better idea.

polo 1.4 2002
Sounds like it could be the pollen filter housing not been put back on properly this is located under the passenger side shelf and is a bit awkward to get in at there are acouple of screws to remove first and you can removed the black panel , once this kind of panel /shelf is out of the road you will need to stick you head in the foot well and look up yoga could be handy here. you will see aplastic box with two slides on it move thes slides to allow the lid to come off. youw ill then see the pollen filter I would remove this and check if it is dirty or not and if it is wet either wat remove and replace it should be white in colour but wont be if it hasn,t been replaced. It can only go in one way so take not of the arrows direction when removing. replcae the cover making sure the clips retain cover tightly in place and refit the tray /shelf. If this is not the problem then it could be the windscreen or as previous replys have put the heater matrix but there will be a sweet smell if it is that and the water level in you expansion tank will be showing low. Just before I finish have alook under neath the car there should be three rubber gromets fitted but are sometimes dislodged when using trolley jacks the big round one will cause a leak if not there and you have been driving through puddles.

good luck sandy,
Bethesda
New

Post by Bethesda »

I have a 1999 Polo Estate 1600cc, which I've had for just 5 weeks. I notice that after car has been standing in rain, and when moving off, a clean water leak appears just below passenger door (under speaker cover) and runs down the inside of carpeted sill. I'm afraid I'm not yet familiar with the car's Mark, and therefore wonder if the above problem is the same, or different, to mine. Could anyone help with a diagnosis and solution, please? (Also, car has sliding roof bars. Could some kind soul please tell me how these, and their sliding support brackets, are removed? My local main VW Agent hasn't a clue!)