Best wax to use for winter?

Detailing & Bodywork
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sport

Best wax to use for winter?

Post by polo1.9TDI SPORT »

Hey just a quick question. Have been real lazy recently and cleaned the car once in about 2 months :oops:
So to prepare for winter what is the best wax to use, and is there anything else i should be doing?
Also my wheels are disgraceful,so they could do with a proper clean, anyone used anything to really get off ground in crap?

Cheers.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Wax - hands down Collinite 476s. You can use this as sealant on your wheels also. But if you want some a little more suited get poorboys wheel sealant.

Wheel cleaner - megs all purpose cleaner is good on a strong dilution, or even just the 'hot rims' stuff they have.
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member

Cheers , thats awesome!! will have a look around for some for prices and availability! Need the good ish weather to last just till next week now!!

Also quick question not sure where this should be tho.
What paint/primer should be used on an engine cover, plastic abs i think it is.
Had some paint on a while back. Now its flaking off as its crap. So am sanding it down but need to really repaint it.
Got me a new smart looking oil filler cap too. The audi R8 one! Just need to clean the engine, get the cover painted and then can show some pics!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Check out elitecarcare.co.uk for products, they're great.

Not too sure on the paint sorry.
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member

Cheers will be buying some!!
Which is going to be better , ?
Collinite Super Double Coat Auto Wax or
Collinite #476s Paste Wax Detailing Kit

Cheers , sorry for all the questions.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Dont be, this place is made for questions.

The wax is the same in each kit. It's just whether you want some applicator pads and micro fibre clothes or not. If you haven't got these, get the detailing kit! It's a little awkward applying collinite without an applicator pad.
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:Cheers , thats awesome!! will have a look around for some for prices and availability! Need the good ish weather to last just till next week now!!

Also quick question not sure where this should be tho.
What paint/primer should be used on an engine cover, plastic abs i think it is.
Had some paint on a while back. Now its flaking off as its crap. So am sanding it down but need to really repaint it.
Got me a new smart looking oil filler cap too. The audi R8 one! Just need to clean the engine, get the cover painted and then can show some pics!
Haha ive sprayed most of my engine matte black and I have the R8 cap as well :D

You can get heat resistant primer, but most thermal paints do not require primer use, they are straight on, leave to dry 15-30min, place carefully into the car, run the car till engine heats up. Turn off car and leave overnight as the paint needs heat applied. Otherwise it cracks like the sand on a desert and looks crappy. If you plan on doing plastic, sand them down and then paint, same for metal as well really (as this will insure a far smoother and cleaner surface).

I have used hycote paint plenty of times now and its brilliant as a thermal paint.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

So for a plastic engine cover you'd recommend getting hold of some 'hycote' paint (where would I find this?) give it a quick sand, paint it on, run the engine up to heat then take it off and let it harden over night?
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Tim_GTi wrote:So for a plastic engine cover you'd recommend getting hold of some 'hycote' paint (where would I find this?) give it a quick sand, paint it on, run the engine up to heat then take it off and let it harden over night?
Can get it in some local motor spares shops, but loads of the stuff on ebay for a few quid. Think its zombiecars that sell it... here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYCOTE-VHT-HEAT-R ... 286.c0.m14

You basically got the details rights,

1) Take of part that you will be spraying
2) Sand/smooth down the part
3) Paint, several coats and allow the coats to dry (but not fully which is 15-30min), basically you don't want the paint looking wet but instead it looking dry
4) put item carefully back into the car, trying not to catch any paint work
5) Run engine till it reaches normal running temperature (90c I think)
6) Except that after running the engine you can leave the item on, this is because as the engine cools there's still allot of heat in the bay which is an ideal environment for the paint to dry and get use to the temperatures (especially for thermal paint as in workshops its baked).

If the paint is to wet and you didn't let it settle down for 15-30min so it looks dry it will crack after being exposed to heat and then cooling, which is why you need it to dry abit before shoving it back into the engine bay, the engine bay is really ideal as the temperatures also drop slowly inside after which is extremely ideal for baking thermal paint, hope this helps.
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member

Cool , will have to have a look at this then! I have heard that you can use normal car spray paints too due to the engine not being "that" hot. Dont know what to do. Like the idea of candy red or something but they are not available in high temp paint.

By the way
Will be gettin the wax kit with applicators!!
Best to really!
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:Cool , will have to have a look at this then! I have heard that you can use normal car spray paints too due to the engine not being "that" hot. Dont know what to do. Like the idea of candy red or something but they are not available in high temp paint.
If you got a local paint dealer then you might be able to get custom mixed temp paints, problem with that is you need a compressor to be able to spray mixed paints.