Stubby mirror - your experiences?

Detailing & Bodywork
olop_chris
Sponsor

Stubby mirror - your experiences?

Post by olop_chris »

Hello,

Fitted my Stubby mirror on my Drivers side to replace the large one last night...I think it looks great, but obviously knew the visibility would almost be lost!

Just wondered what people thought, or if people turned back to the large mirror after a while? I don't really mind it, but the only view i get is of my shoulder and the rear seats and a tiny "half moon" view of the road! lol...Have to lean forwards a fair bit to see.

I also just want to know if what I have said about the view is related to the majority of people on here, or is it that my mirror isn't opening wide enough so I can see a little bit more?

That's all for now :D
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

The stubby is definitely limited. I've just got used to it though. mine's not quite as extreme as yours it seems though. I don't find myself running out of angle. Maybe they're alot different on the Ibiza and 6N2 though as it's a slightly bigger car?
Verity
Gold Member

Re: Stubby mirror - your experiences?

Post by Verity »

My car had a stubby mirror when i brought it.
which is random i dont know anything about the previous owner but its a random mod to make considering it seems like the Only one.
i didnt relise on my test drive (i always get nurvous driving a different car is a different area)
but the morning after the night she arrived i realised.
ive got used to it now. but it was really odd not being able to see as much.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh some of them came with one as standard. Weird.
Dakota
New

Post by Dakota »

My mk5 has a stubby on the passenger side only but my mate`s GTi has stubby`s both sides! I first thought that maybe my Polo had been in a crash and that somebody had put a mk4 Golf mirror on the Driver`s side..
I personally don`t like the stubby and plan to change it to match the driver`s side. It limits my blindspot even more and I also think having different sized mirrors is a bit odd, I like things to match
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh they were a bit of an odd ball. Some of them came with sutbbys all round whilst others had larger drivers side mirrors.
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

dont see any differnce in viewing when it comes to the stubby mirror- having a few myself in the past
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

Na my stubby is fine to look behind, same as the oem large one really,

I just pushed the glass all the way out before fitting it up and using the electric adjuster.........
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Tim_GTi wrote:Yeh they were a bit of an odd ball. Some of them came with sutbbys all round whilst others had larger drivers side mirrors.
Iye mine came with two stubbys as standard, I think all the early GTI's registered in January 2000 came with stubbys on both sides.
One thing they didnt come with is Front & Rear GTI badges however, bit weird really.
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

My 6n2 had those stubby DTM mirrors on them, I got used to them fairly quickly