Best place to buy paint?

Detailing & Bodywork
Karson3270
Silver Member

Best place to buy paint?

Post by Karson3270 »

Looking to buy some decent paint in a rattle can. Looking to paint the splitter and skirts when I get them.

The thing is, I don't know where wil supply me the best paint, for example, a colour which matches perfectly and the paint isn't too thin.

I've tried halfords paint and it was total crap :( It was runny and at the same time the nozzle was useless and wasn't like normal spray cans.

I've heard that the VW dealers sell them, but at a very high price, but then again I heard that local paint shops could mix the paint for me and sell it to me in a spray can?

I'm looking for the colours LC9Z/Z4 which will be the black I want to spray the mirror bases and LA7W which will be Reflex silver I would use to colour code the splitter and skirts.

Also a final question, would I need to primer before I spray them, and would I need to us a clear coat of lacquer after painting? I'm new to painting

Thanks guys
Verity
Gold Member

Re: Best place to buy paint?

Post by Verity »

Karson3270 wrote:Looking to buy some decent paint in a rattle can. Looking to paint the splitter and skirts when I get them.

I've heard that the VW dealers sell them, but at a very high price, but then again I heard that local paint shops could mix the paint for me and sell it to me in a spray can?
You should find out the price from VW cose i work in Halfords and my Boyfriend works at VW.
I now no longer buy anything from Halfords as i get it a hell of a lot cheaper from VW, and thats before his discount!
im not sure about rattle cans but i got my mate a paint a touch up kit from vw for her lupo. was a fiver for paint and lacquer. and yet its i think £8.99 just for the paint and no lacquer from Halfords.

Also a final question, would I need to primer before I spray them, and would I need to us a clear coat of lacquer after painting? I'm new to painting
Primer amd Lacquer is a must!
when spraying on metal you want zinc primer really as this helps protect from rust.
and plastic primer for the plastic bits.
(never ever buy clear primer. my mate did that and it was awful!)

also deff do lacquer. it protects the paint. without it dirt and such will work its way into the paint and u will never get it clean again, the colour will fade, and itll more then likely chip off.

hope this helps :) good luck with it