Painting mirror covers.

Detailing & Bodywork
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Painting mirror covers.

Post by Ben90 »

So I've got a black 9n with colour coded mirrors that I'd like to paint silver, Bluemotion/Seat/Alfa/Volvo style 8) I've got a few options but wondered which might be the best;

1 - Vinyl wrap them - I called a local wrapping place and was quoted £80 for the pair because of their awkward shape taking hours to do properly. I guess the pro is that it's temporary so I can remove it prior to selling if I/the buyer should wish..

2- Bodyshop - not obtained a quote yet but I'm pretty confident that they'll be cheaper than the above!

3- DIY - Has anybody with no past experience picked up some grades of sandpaper, a rattlecan of primer and paint from Hellfords and given it a go? I understand that rattlecan jobs don't get the best and most even finish..

4- On the off chance does anybody want to swap their silver mirror covers for some LC9Z ones :lol: or have some for sale
md1
New

Re: Painting mirror covers.

Post by md1 »

Buy These and use very fine wire wool to make themlook like alloy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Polo-9 ... 1e6261527f
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Hadn't thought of that! Those are 9n3 ones but I've seen 9n ones and thought the chrome looked a bit tacky, wire wool is a great Idea it'll give it an Audi RS look rather than reflex silver. :)
md1
New

Post by md1 »

Yes use the wirewool in the same direction (not in circles) back and forth motion, only use fine wirewool and even pressure and TAKE YOUR TIME.. and you will have th brushed alloy look..
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Good post. Thanks!