Badge Removal

Detailing & Bodywork
cr44
New

Badge Removal

Post by cr44 »

Just about to pick up my 6R and wanted to remove the POLO and 1.4 badges from the boot.

I'm sure some of you must have removed them but was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to remove them easily without damaging the boot and second I just wanted to make sure they were stuck on with a sticky back and not metal pins that would leave holes in the boot.

Thanks
tt509
Gold Member

Re: Badge Removal

Post by tt509 »

think they are sticky back mate
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Yep,just stuck on with goo,I used a length of button thread and "sawed" mine off...

John :wink:
ChrisRaeburn
New

Post by ChrisRaeburn »

As others have said, it's extremely easy to remove the 'POLO' and 1.4 (1.2 in my case! :evil:). Arm yourself with a hairdryer and the strongest thin thread you can find. Blast the section you wish to remove with the hairdryer until you can wiggle it with your finger, pull the thread tight and 'saw' through the sticky back bit. Rinse and repeat until your boot is clean. Afterwards you may need to use some adhesive removal spray/liquid to scrub off the remains (halfrauds does some for pretty cheap which works quite well).

Looks beautiful when it's done and you can have a laugh as well:
Last edited by ChrisRaeburn on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cr44
New

Post by cr44 »

All them tips worked well, and that spray is called Sticky Stuff which worked a treat on the residue.

For future reference.... if like me you can't get a hair drier to the back of the car, use quite warm (NOT BOILING) water and that helps quite a lot.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

I removed some badges from an Audi the other day. Found that dental floss worked quite well to saw through the adhesive, although you need a decent length as it snapped a couple of times! Clay bar sorted out the remaining adhesive on the tailgate and only took about 5 minutes to do.
Rubz94
New

Post by Rubz94 »

All the tips are good! Ive found that using a hair dryer or hot water to loosen it then placing a thin card such as the thin plastic calling car at the corner of each letter and pushing while moving the card left and right takes of the adesive and badges at once and it does not scratch the car if done carefully. Ive done it a ou three times with great results.