Window Tinting

Detailing & Bodywork
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Window Tinting

Post by Lucaio »

Looking all 5 of my windows tinted and am just looking for general advice really.

I have noticed there are two options, getting tinting film from a shop or getting it done professionally at a tinting garage. What's the difference and is the more expensive professionally done option worth it?

Anyone had this done and have any tips/recommendations?
Also price wise, does around £175 sound right?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Window Tinting

Post by benmkiv »

Basically the garages use the film but probably slightly better quality so it will last longer they also know te best wy to do it without bubbles. I'd say could be worth trying yourself but don't be peeed off when you get bubbles in it :)

Also it's illegal to put any film on the front widows due to te factory standard green tint ;) just some friendly advice.
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Re: Window Tinting

Post by Lucaio »

benmkiv wrote:Basically the garages use the film but probably slightly better quality so it will last longer they also know te best wy to do it without bubbles. I'd say could be worth trying yourself but don't be peeed off when you get bubbles in it :)

Also it's illegal to put any film on the front widows due to te factory standard green tint ;) just some friendly advice.
Thanks mate! :)
Will probably try giving it a go myself if it's significantly cheaper.

I thought you were allowed to tint up to 30% on the front windows and 80% on the rears? Although I did read that a while back so it's probably outdated by now.

EDIT:
These seem pretty cheap, may give it a bash
http://www.visionwindowfilms.co.uk/Volk ... -Full.aspx

Or I've been quoted £125 from a garage.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Window Tinting

Post by Ben90 »

The law states that the front windows have to let through a minimum of 70% visible light, this caused a misconception among many who thought they were allowed to tint up to '30%', when in fact the OEM clear glass doesn't let 100% of light through in the first place, more like 70- 80%, so any tinting to the front windows at all would reduce the figure below 70% and thus be illegal.

That website almost has it right, saying that a 70% transmission would be legal. Unfortunately the 70% figure is a total of glass + film.