Quaife LSD for G40...offer closing soon!

Place to check out UK-Polos Group Buys!
Tav
New

Quaife LSD for G40...offer closing soon!

Post by Tav »

Introduction:

With the possibility of running ~170bhp in future I have been looking into limited slip differentials for the Polo G40. I was thinking that traction will become a big issue when the power and torque rise. I've already seen how a friends lightly modified car (~120bhp) can struggle in some situations with getting the power down.

My first stop was Quaife's website: http://www.quaife.co.uk/

This is a company name I was familiar with from magazines/TV. They currently make their Automatic Torque Biasing Differential (ATB) for a wide range of OEM and retrofit applications (more on this later). Sadly they do not have a Polo G40 model.

This prompted me to email them and I received a quick reply a day later. I have summarised all of the email information contained within this post:
Thank you for contacting Quaife, Happy New Year to you.
  • I am sorry that we do not currently have an ATB available for your application. We are always open to the possibility of adding new applications to our production schedule if there is a demand.
  • Therefore, if you are considering a batch of 10 or more then we can advise you on the possibility of a batch order, the price, delivery information and freight charges.
  • We would need a sample of your current differential and then our technical & sales team can proceed from there.
What is a Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Differential?

Perhaps the most important piece of information I can give you is a description of just what an ATB differential is and how it can improve your car. The following is from the Quaife internet site:
The 'Automatic Torque Biasing differential is Quaife's unique patented design, and is an after-market differential that provides smooth, constant traction for racing or slippery road conditions.

Suitable as an ideal replacement for any front, rear or four wheel drive application, these ATB differentials have the added benefit of no adverse effect on the steering of a front wheel drive vehicle.

Quaife ATB differentials have been used in a wide array of applications, from Formula 1 cars to emergency and public utility vehicles, where all weather mobility is essential, and where the product must perform in the most demanding of conditions.

Available to suit a very wide range of vehicle applications, from Alfa Romeo to Volkswagen and including Ford, BMW, Honda, MG & Rover, Vauxhall/Opel, as well as a range of light commercial vehicles.

The characteristics of the differential are that it progressively locks as torque increases; there are no plates or clutches to wear out, as the more conventional limited-slip designs incorporate. The ATB differential is particularly effective in combating the effects of FWD torque steer and understeer.

Quaife Engineering also offer their ATB differential with a lifetime warranty [see terms and conditions later in post], as a demonstration of the quality of the product.

The Ultimate Differential

The Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How?
Simply by getting the power to the ground!

The Quaife differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one.

With an normal open differential, fitted as standard on most cars, much precious power is wasted through wheel spin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip - along the path of least resistance.

The Quaife differential, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and automatically biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the QUAIFE biases greater power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife differential also controls loss of traction when the drive wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife ATB differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife ATB differential's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage, whether you are on the track or on the street.

The Quaife differential is extremely strong and durable, and since it is gear-operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly and regular replacement. There is no maintenance required to the unit, so once installed the unit can be forgotton, apart from the better road responses.

The Quaife differential is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the cars towards its limits.

The Quaife differential is proven in everything from SCCA Rallying to drag racing and Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.
The Quaife differential comes as only one setting for all types of application.

It is the same in operation whatever the weather. If it is used in a track day/event or on the road it would not require any modifications. Making the Quaife differential somewhat unique.

Current Applications:

Quaife already has over 4 years experience working with the big three global car manufacturers, Ford, General Motors and Daimler Chrysler. Quaife has 40 years experience as an industry leader.

Over 35,000 Quaife ATB differential units have already been sold as original equipment, and a clean warranty record complements the quality of the product itself. This is supported by Quaife's ISO 9001 approval.

Ford Focus RS:

The Ford Focus RS is probably the most well known of the OE applications of the Quaife ATB LSD. It is because of the Quaife ATB LSD that the Ford Focus RS has become known for its impressive grip and handling. With out the Quaife ATB LSD the Focus RS would struggle to transmit the 215bhp from it's 2.0 Turbo engine effectively. Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear commenting on the extreme grip which over comes the "under powered" engine:

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000004601?da ... 1429d6f7fd

Polo GTi Cup Car

After Phil Quaife's recent appearance in the 24 Hours of Dubai at the Dubai Autodrome driving one of the GTi Cup-spec cars (with a couple of upgrades), the proof was already there that with the Quaife ATB differential fitted to the car, performance and drivability was greatly improved.

However this new test has really proved the point. During a back-to-back test, the Golf GTi Cup cars proved to be a full 3-seconds per lap quicker than when it was fitted with the standard VW differential!

That kind of advantage makes a night or day difference to a competitor's chances in motorsport, and Quaife invite other motorsport competitors to purchase an ATB differential for their vehicle and join in with the success.

Other Applications:

Of course there is a vast list of other applications for the Quaife ATB LSD including Lotus and Mitsubishi Ralliart.

Life-time Warranty

For more information on the Quaife life time warranty please visit the following link:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Quaife-ATB-diff-warranty

Will it fit my gear box?

This differential is being made for the 085 series of gear boxes. For the differential to work your gear box must have a bolt on final drive.

I hope Andy doesn't mind me quoting him. The following is a list of codes for gear boxes with bolt on final drives:
Bolt-on final drives in Mk2/3 Polo 'boxes are found in the following: ATV, CEK, CEH, CMC, CEG. I have a feeling all the 6N 'boxes might be bolt-on final drive...
The main application will be the ATV G40 gear box.

I am unsure about use in the Mk4 Polo but I am sure someone can clarify which application will work/not work.

The Cost:

Unit Cost

The RRP for a single unit is £525.00. However, for a batch order of 10 a discounted price of £436.00 per unit would be offered.

Michael Quaife himself has confirmed that if more buyers are found Quaife can offer better pricing as follows (exclusive of VAT so +17.5%):

10 Units £436.00 per unit
20 Units £408.75 per unit
30 Units £381.50 per unit

A DR Grippa differential cost in the region of £700. A Drenth differential costs over £1100 and Ricardo differentials are both hard to get a hold of an expensive. With these figures in mind it makes the Quaife ATB differential great value for money.

A full and detailed break down of pricing will be provided by Quaife when I confirm the number of orders.

Installation/Servicing Costs

Installation and servicing costs can be found on the Quaife website. The following outlines the details:
QUAIFE offer a fitting service and after sale support for all QUAIFE products, from a gear lever to a complete universal gearbox.

Our service enables our customers to have their new QUAIFE product professionally installed. Whether fitting a new ATB differential to the customer's supplied casing, or building a gearkit into a customer's gearbox, QUAIFE's professional fitters can complete the job to a highly proficient standard.

SERVICING QUAIFE PRODUCTS - COSTS (Labour only, plus VAT where applicable)

QUAIFE ATB differential - £35
Fitting ATB differential to customer supplied casing - £70

On purchasing a QUAIFE product, you are able to take advantage of our servicing facilities at any point in the year. Whether you want regular servicing on your complete QUAIFE gearbox, or a simple inspection and service of your ATB differential, you can simply send your parts to QUAIFE and your job will be booked in.

In addition, QUAIFE offer technical advice over the telephone between 8.30am and 5.30pm, for those customers who need the expert tips on fitting a differential themselves, or for advice on problems incurred on your latest event.[/indent]
Delivery

£16.00 per unit to the UK

Development Time Line:

The following is an outline of the order process:
  • Send sample G40 ATV gear box to Quaife for evaluation ---> DONE
  • Quaife draw it up for production ---> DONE
  • Finalise order and collect 30% deposit before production can start
  • Production commences 10-14 weeks
  • Final payment required
  • Finished differentials are ready for shipping/installation
Purchasing:

So fianlly....how do you get in on the group buy? Basically I need a list of at least 10 people who are commited to purchasing a Quaife ATB Differential. From these people Quaife will require a 30% deposit before production commences. This will be ~£130.80 and less if we get 20 people on board.

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST OF CONFIRMED BUYERS BELOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED

Feel free to PM me or reply in the thread for more information.
MateyGuv
Sponsor

Post by MateyGuv »

There is another group buy on this diff that already has 4 people with money waiting. Only need another 6 to make it happen...................anyone?

Link below

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.p ... 0&start=50