cold air intake?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
daveb887
New

cold air intake?

Post by daveb887 »

hi, new to vw polos, only got my mk3 1.4cl a few weeks ago. i was looking under the bonet yesterday and noticed that the cold air intake has a connector on it with a flexi pipe from the heat shield from exhaust connected to it, this does not make sense to me as its a ''COLD'' air intake and theres nothing cold about the exhaust. would it be better to have my own cold air intake? as i would like to get a induction kit for it anyway, if any1 has any sugestions, thanks
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: cold air intake?

Post by fonzooorooo »

It normally runs to a vacuum operated flap in the air box... In some situations it automatically draws warm air. This prevents icing (the SPI is effectively an electric carb, so icing is still a possibility, though normally causes no issues except perhaps in VERY cold weather!)

When I was running a Weber carbed mk2 scirocco, the valve had failed, so I used to run warm air (only) in winter, both warm and cold through the spring/autumn, and only cold in the summer. Worked beautifully doing this, though the power was slightly lower in the winter, but was free from the icing issues which would plague it with only a cold feed.