Alternative to seat ibiza cupra mk3 1.8t 20V?

Forum to discuss the Seat Ibiza
yosin
Silver Member

Alternative to seat ibiza cupra mk3 1.8t 20V?

Post by yosin »

I was just generally thinking what is a good alternative to the cupra?..Doesnt have to be VAG..but just in general a good alternative to it like price wise.

Because ive been looking into them and a few of my friends been saying why do i like it so much? i really dont know why, and they keep saying the CTR is better and faster :? ..not for me though 8)
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

ctr is a good choice for general looks and out of the box performance but the engine is already maxed out as it is, a simple remap makes the cupra fast enough to s**t on one in a straight line..

Other choices I was looking at before i went back and got another cupra:
E36 m3/z3m
ITR
LCR
Mk4 golf r32

Or the usual route of scoobies/skylines/evos
I love sleepers too much though and the fact the cupra is unknown to most with an engine so tunable you really can't go wrong

All the above have their pros and cons but for me the beefa comes out on top

If you need some reasurrance I'll take u for a spin in my ihi cupra :)
yosin
Silver Member

Post by yosin »

With the CTR is it true that u need to get a new ecu for it when u want to remap it ?

i was looking at the the mk4 golf r32 aswell but i think with that with the extra u pay to get the on the r32, that could be well spent on a cupra to tune it up and be quicker than the r32 as standard?

i really havent seen an cupra anywhere and they are so rare, and most people dont know about them and how quick they can go which is 1 thing i like. Where as the others are common and people already expect what they can do and seen it whereas with the cupra it makes them :shock: ..lol

O by the way, what is the views on the cupras brakes? i heard they wasnt to good from some guy i know and he ended sticking it up on the back of a lorrys arse lol
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

The mk4 r32 was the hardest for me to turn away from seeing as I've wanted one for ages, their only let down being their engine. a ctr would see off an r32. 0-60 in 6 secs WITH 4wd makes you realize that, once they are rolling the power really is poor, I don't doubt a cupra with just a map would Cain one, my old cupra ate one so badly the guy started chasing me with serious road rage. They are only worth getting if you don't like power and prefer looks and noise unless you bolt some turbos on. Which won't leave you much change from 10k just for the kit let alone fitting

As for ctrs I don't know about the ecu but I do know to get any real benefit u need to look at supercharging or sometihbg along those lines otherwise IMO the performance doesn't cut it

Oh and as for brakes they are basically g60s so pretty good but for real performance u need brembos as seen on the Ibiza cupra R
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

You hit the nail on the head exactly mate, we love them because they are pretty rare and nobody knowes what it is until you wound them at the lights. CTR is a good car dont get me wrong but as james says the engine is already maxed out and with a mapped cupra you will easliy see a CTR off i know from experience :lol: and its rare now a cupra comes without a remap, if not its best 500 quid youd ever spend.

Cupra looks miles better also, CTR is a bigger car more in the golfs league though, but im guessing practicallity isnt hwat you are thinking of!

Imo id get the cupra over and over and over again its just an amazing car that puts a smile on your face everytime you drive it and wipes one off many a face at the same time!!!

only bit about the type r is the handling which is meant to be immense, but nothing some strut braces ARBS and suspension wouldnt solve. The fact that a good second hand ctr is much more expensive than a good cupra has gotta offset that cost!

The brakes are very good as standard but if your going to upgrade turbo and go 200+ then as james said probably worth changing to a set of cupra r brembos!

Cupra you know you want to!

Honestly the most fun car, i never want to get out of it and if your serious about power go bit turbo like james for 380Bhp and i've even heard of them running 460bhp that would definitley wipe the smile off more than CTR's
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

Bill badger is now running over 600hp at wheels ;) lucky git!
yosin
Silver Member

Post by yosin »

LOL the guy started chasing you on road rage..now that must of been a caining..

Ye most of the cupras have a remap already that i see for sale and i was thinking if i wanted to remap it further would i need to take it back to the first person that remaped it originaly or could it be remapped further by another company?

Guess that there aint much alternatives ...cupra ftw although its quite hard looking for a black 1 lol..

Looks like i will just have to show my friends why im after this then lol
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

yum yum...brembos....mmmm :) stopping POWA!

keep an eye out for the Cupra R's as they dont go for alot more and come with a few extras including the brembos (the calipers cost around £600 to buy)...unfortunately there were only 75 in the U.K so they dont come up that often..

black ones are tough to find definately...good luck with the search
yosin
Silver Member

Post by yosin »

Did you know anything the cupras thats already been remaped i said above ^^? :lol:
stani540
Gold Member

Post by stani540 »

i think you can take them to anybody mate as long as theres no lock on the map all it takes is a phone call to revo or jabba to fidn out!

Imperial Blue FTW!!!!
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

Sorry LOL any excuse for a pic, I'm pretty sure can write over maps although I could be wrong.
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

X2 for that!
yorks GT TDI
Sponsor

Post by yorks GT TDI »

shantybeater wrote:Bill badger is now running over 600hp at wheels ;) lucky git!
not yet i was at bill new place at the weekend his motor was there but shes not done yet
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

ye you can write over maps, my engine/ecu had Revo stage 1 on it then when i put in into the polo i needed a new custom Revo stage2 map for my K04

revo over jabba all day long
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

b*******s to that, jabba over revo anyday...a real custom map to drive the turbo to inches of its life :lol: