Opinions on Ibiza Cupra 1.8T?

Forum to discuss the Seat Ibiza
mkone
Bronze Member

Opinions on Ibiza Cupra 1.8T?

Post by mkone »

Hi there I'm looking at saying farewell to my Polo GTi soon :cry: and I'd had my eyes on the Cupra for a while now, simply due to the REVO 200Bhp upgrade :twisted: . If anyone has any experiences of what they are like good or bad please leave your opinions.

Ta!

Mark
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Nice little cars, have huge potential, but to get there you need to spend money on it.

The main criticisms of the car are that they have poor suspension, little track at the rear and if you want an aftermarket stereo you have to spend hundreds on getting it mounted in a special place.

My mum has one until Saturday, it's being traded in for a new Ibiza Cupra TDI 160. She's loved it in the 2 years she's had it, and will be upset at having to trade it in.
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

ever thought about the Leon instead?
Muz
New

Post by Muz »

Are you one about the new cupra or the old ones? i quite like the new ones but not sure what after market stuff is about for them.
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

Considered the Leon Cupra but not a big fan of 5 door motors, much prefer the understated hot hatch 3dr Ibiza.

Looking at the new (out in Nov) and old (00-02) but don't like the £15500 OTR price of the new cupra. Reaching in at Type R teritory.
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

My mum paid £14200 for her new one in Platinum Grey with lots of dealer fit extras.

She got £8000 for her 02 reg 20vT Ibiza with 9k...yes 9k on the clock.
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

thats not too bad man...
what are the performace figures like for the 160? :)
david burton

Post by david burton »

yeah you can pick up a leon cupra (not R) for about 9k that's still got warranty!

cheap considering you have a 180bhp car with warranty on it!

5 doors - i know what you mean :roll:
Vdubber
Sponsor

Great little cars

Post by Vdubber »

I traded in my 51 reg Ibiza Cupra for a 04 polo TDI

I was regularly getting 32-34 MPG from the cupra which isnt bad to say I was booting it every now and again. :twisted:

They are great little cars and with the revo chip you are looking at 0-60 in 6 seconds.

The only negative things I could say about the car was the driving position. I could never quite get it right. and fitting people in the back was a squeeze.

I had an Imperial blue Ibiza which was always getting stone chips. Apparantly that colour paint was really soft.

and To fit 17s on you had to get the arches bent out slightly

All in all though I fully recommend 1. :wink:
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

Just out of interest what made you swap for the Polo? Insurance costs?
toXXin

Re: Great little cars

Post by toXXin »

32-34MPG? You're complaining about that? I get 27 out of my TDI!

The driving position is a complain I've never heard of. I've been driving mums one for the last week and I think it's perfect!

Not fitting people in the back is part of owning a small car...I bet you still have that problem in the Polo!

Paint is a big SEAT downfall...it's so thinly applied and very prone to chips, which is a real shame. It's not just Imperial Blue, but all colours.

Arch bending for 17s? What offset were the wheels? I know people running ET25-28 on the back with lowered suspension and no problems.
Vdubber wrote:I traded in my 51 reg Ibiza Cupra for a 04 polo TDI

I was regularly getting 32-34 MPG from the cupra which isnt bad to say I was booting it every now and again. :twisted:

They are great little cars and with the revo chip you are looking at 0-60 in 6 seconds.

The only negative things I could say about the car was the driving position. I could never quite get it right. and fitting people in the back was a squeeze.

I had an Imperial blue Ibiza which was always getting stone chips. Apparantly that colour paint was really soft.

and To fit 17s on you had to get the arches bent out slightly

All in all though I fully recommend 1. :wink:
Vdubber
Sponsor

Post by Vdubber »

Fuel costs mainly. I am doing 15-20k miles a year and needed something cheaper to run.

I considered getting a run about diesel and keeping the Ibiza but ended up getting the polo 1.9TDI.

With fuel, tax and insurance savings the car is paying for itself 60 MPG on the way to work on a good day. :D

If I had a job where I could get the train into work I would still have the Ibiza now and chipped. :twisted:

I even considered my girlfriend having it through the week and driving her Saxo 1.1 to work, then I came round to my senses. :lol:
Vdubber
Sponsor

Post by Vdubber »

The driving position is a complain I've never heard of. I've been driving mums one for the last week and I think it's perfect!
My knees where always catching on the steering wheel even with the steering column adjusted fully up and the seat nearly all the way back and down :?
Not fitting people in the back is part of owning a small car...I bet you still have that problem in the Polo!
There is loads more space in the back with the polo. Maybe because I dont need to put the seat as far back I dont know.
Arch bending for 17s? What offset were the wheels? I know people running ET25-28 on the back with lowered suspension and no problems.
I cant remember what ET they were but there was enough room at the back it was the front that needed bending out slightly.

All in all just minor things really. I do miss it though.
cuprabaz
Getting There!

Post by cuprabaz »

Hi guys, i've got a 2001 ibiza cupra, i got it tuned to 200bhp and i love it

I've got some pics but i'm unsure as how to put them up on this forum.

Not sure about the need to roll the arches as my one is lowered 55mm & 65mm with 17's.

As for chips/remaps, i'd stear clear of REVO although they give very impressive results they also have the worst record for things going wrong.
Have a look at AMD, RSD, APR, Upsolute, STAR PERFORMANCE and Jabba for custom remaps!!
Last edited by cuprabaz on Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkone
Bronze Member

Post by mkone »

If you could post some pics I'd be grateful as I've not had cnahce to see what one looks like inside and out in close detail.

How much are you looking at for ECU upgrade etc?

Thanks for your comments.

Mark