Polo 9N3 dash tray removal.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Polo 9N3 dash tray removal.

Post by coopern »

Dash tray, no lid. If anyone has removed the little tray in the top of the dash could they please say how it can be done without damaging the dash plastic. I know the tray has grippers/hooks underneath, maybe it can be pulled out using fingers?

Thanks
N
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo 9N3 dash tray removal.

Post by RUM4MO »

That is how I removed the one in my wife's late 2002 Polo when I decided to replace it with the version with the hinged top. She never did like the hinged top one and I can see why VW did not push that accessory as the hinging mechanism makes noises all the time! It does look good though, and that was what sold it for me, that and the fact that I had the choice to change/upgrade something.
coopern
New

Post by coopern »

Thanks for that, so I can use my fingers.
It seems to be stuck fast, should I try and pull it up first from the front or the back?

N
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, I can not remember, but I'd think that I just used my nails - can you not put both hands into it and wedge them against the front and rear and ease it up? If it is a secondhand car, the previous owner might have glued it down to stop it creaking, I'll see if I can find the original one to check how it fits/grips and get back to you.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, as we don't have a 9N Polo now and I've looked at the old tray, the end which has the sloping face - either front or rear end, is the one that has hard lugs on it, so do not attempt to lift that end up, all other three sides/ends have lugs that can flex. The lugs that can flex on the sides are at the opposite end to these sides to the sloping face, only one per side and approx. one inch in from the corner, the end opposite the sloping end, has two lugs that can flex and they are approx. 3/4 inch in from the corner.

So to round up, the end of that tray with the recessed or concave face is the face to grab and lift.

If anyone is interested, the replacement tray - ie box with hinged lid is VAG P/N 6Q0 857 465 A/1QA and is called a shelf(??) by VAG.
coopern
New

Post by coopern »

Okay thanks, I'll check it out.