9N3 GTI - already remapped?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Dave_A
New
Drives: 2008 9N3 Polo GTI

9N3 GTI - already remapped?

Post by Dave_A »

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and have just bought a 2008 GTI. One plus point for me was that the 1.8T engine is so easily tuneable; as I understand from reading here and elsewhere, even just a simple remap will take it from 150BHP to about 180 or 190 and up to 50% more torque - con-rods permitting :). I got the car from a local VW dealer and it's come with a year's VW warranty, but even the salesman mentioned how easy thay are to remap. On a test drive it felt quick, but in a very different way to my previous car, where the power and torque arrived at much higher revs.

Now, I thought even if I did plan on a remap, I should at least get a feel of the car first, including performance and fuel economy. The 'problem' is, a few test runs today indicate to me that it's already significantly faster than it 'ought' to be. For example, 0-60 stock ought to be 8.2s (VW claim) or at best around 7.7s (Evo magazine test). I'm not the best driver and I got nearer six seconds. 0-80 was measured by Evo at 13.2s and I got 10.4. Finally, in gear 50 to 70 in 4th was measured by Evo at 5.8s and I got a shade over 4s.

Tests were done with an audio recording - I just shouted '3,2,1,go' and 'sixty' etc. I adjusted my reading of the speedo by some tests with GPS over a decent distance at steady speed (I found it over reads by about 4%). Even allowing for a decent margin of error at the start, I think the results indicate it's already been remapped. Do people agree? I'm not sure whether to be happy or not!