GTi MAF Sensor Missing Resistor?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
srh007
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTi 2006

GTi MAF Sensor Missing Resistor?

Post by srh007 »

Hello everyone...

I am after some advice please?

I have a 2006 Polo GTi that I have recently had remapped at R-Tech, they have done a fantastic job and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a custom tune… Whilst I was having my remap however, I was informed that there was "something" wrong with my MAF, the guys tried to look into the matter, but could not see any issue apart from the ECU was compensating for an issue that was caused by a faulty MAF and I was advised to have it replaced.

This I am happy to do, but I thought I would give the actual sensor inside a clean with some electrical cleaner first and see if I could feel any noticeable difference.

When I removed the actual MAF element inside the main MAF housing, I noticed that it was missing what looked like a resistor, there was a diagram for one, yet there was not one there! This worried me because there is only one place it could have gone if it was supposed to have one originally! :roll:

Please see the attached picture to see what I mean… After some intense Google'ing I discovered that some sensors should have a resistor, and some should not have one! This has now confused me no end! Do I need a new resistor? Or do I just need a whole replacement MAF housing including the sensor?

Any advice from anyone who has had this issue or knows of a reason why this has taken place would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you… :D

ImageMAF Sensor by srh007, on Flickr