New owner - A write up and some questions !

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
rayaans
New
Drives: Polo 1.4S

New owner - A write up and some questions !

Post by rayaans »

Firstly Id just like to say Hello! I bought a 1.4 Polo S - its actually my first car so obviously overexcited! Picked it up from an auction for £2.6k altogether - done 47k miles and generally in good nick with just 2 dents in the passenger side door.

It also STINKS! Previous owner was a smoker I believe so a full valet is on the cards. It also explains the FabFresh in the pictures (which didn't touch the stench AT ALL!)

Being a student, I don't have tonnes of money to spend on the car so apologies beforehand if not much goes on with it. Also don't mind the mismatched L and P plates - the P flew off from the back and they've both been taken off now and fitted some fully magnetic ones.

So here she is -

Now the few things Ive done so far are:
1) Fitted an aerial (someone stole the other one).
2) Fitted some tailored cheapo car mats - not the best quality but they were only £13. Besides its better than just carpet!
3) Had the service done - car hadn't had a service in 30k miles but that's sorted now. All was well apart from the front 2 "Infinity" tyres wearing on the inner edges. Inevitably, that meant getting 2 new tyres fitted (Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance) and having alignment done. Total cost £112. Completely transformed the car at this point - steering is much lighter, before I was leaning on the steering wheel to get the car to turn.
4) VW badge was missing from the key, searched the bay of E's and fitted one.

Ive also realised that the wipers are shot. These are to be fitted once the greasy film on the car has been removed:

I mean just look at that grease! The car has definitely spent a long time somewhere without being driven.

Anyway my question really was about this:

I think it looks horrid - previous owner must have dropped some coffee on it or something :shock:

From what I can tell, it seems to have a rubberised peelable coating on top of dark plastic. Im contemplating either plastidipping it, wrapping it or painting it with a rattle can. Of course, Ill remove the piece beforehand!

Ideally Id prefer an OEM look but "Dark Brushed metal vinyl wrap" seems very appealing! Any advice on this front would be much appreciated! Thanks! :D
Hennerzz
New
Drives: 9N3 GTI Shadow Blue

Re: New owner - A write up and some questions !

Post by Hennerzz »

Hello,

First well done on passing and getting your first car!
Bodywork and interior are looking nice and clean.

Iv tried wrapping the interior in my polo. I used a brushed brushed aluminium wrap but didn't like the look of it, wasn't dark enough.
Think your right and a darker metal wrap would look good.
Best thing about vinyl wrap is for the price and ease of doing it you can change it around for next to nothing.

Hope Dean doesn't mind but linked his build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68033
He has done his centre console in gloss black and it looks lovely!
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sport

Re: New owner - A write up and some questions !

Post by polo1.9TDI SPORT »

hi There, congrats on passing and welcome to the forum (late reply i know)

if your looking for something to "wrap" with you could always try the spray paint vinyl, which can be peeled of if you get fed up with it.

i have used this on my badges and so far have lasted a good few months in rain and shine and cleaning.

standard paints are matt in finish, and have a rubbery feel to them, once sprayed on any overspray can be peeled off.

http://matt-pack.co.uk/

obviously there are numerous ways to achieve wrapping, it depends what best suits you!

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Dave