Replacing drivers seat 9N3 Match

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Replacing drivers seat 9N3 Match

Post by coopern »

Does anyone know if its easy to replace the lower part of the drivers seat (the part I sit on), inc the padding. Is it clipped together like everything else? Also, is it a big job or something that can be be done in say an hour if I've got the right tools and some diagrams and know how?

Cheers
N
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Replacing drivers seat 9N3 Match

Post by alexperkins »

Fairly easy to do. Just a case of release the clips and wire, remove the fabric, then swapping the foam and refit in reverse

Just be mindful of the airbags as youll need to disconnect them (which means removing the negative battery terminal for 10 mins prior to doing this!!) and removing the seat.
coopern
New

Post by coopern »

Thanks.

On the subject of seats, is it possible to swap the drivers and passenger (front) seat bases, inc padding, are they the same part? Its to even out the wear.
And can it be done without removing the seat backs/backrests. At £200 for new seat fabric from dealer can't afford to buy new!

Thanks

N
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Yes they can be swapped, thought there might be some subtle differences at the back where the backrest attaches

No, the backrest has to be removed as it all locks together

What fabric have your seats got? Post up a pic
coopern
New

Post by coopern »

Don't know how to post pic, there's no attach option. Fabric is dark grey with black white stripes. Starting to think its a big job and probably not worth starting, especially if there's doubt about whether the seat bases are the same. Vagpart.com appears to give only one part number for the seat base.

VW dealer tells me the seat cushions/bases are the same part for driver and passenger. Appears that the whole seat might have to be removed and then dismantled and re-assembled (of course), so that's both front seats. To many thats all in half a days work, but to me its a big job.

Does anyone know how to remove the front head rests, they move up and then stick. Perhaps the seat has to be dismantled in order to remove the head rest!!!!