Polo 1.2 S 2007 Windscreen Fluid leak in passenger footwell

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
tarnishedriver
New
Drives: 57 plate Polo 1.2 S Petrol

Polo 1.2 S 2007 Windscreen Fluid leak in passenger footwell

Post by tarnishedriver »

Just bought a Polo 1.2 S petrol 57 plate and have a bizarre problem.

Pushing the right stalk towards me allows the washer fluid to squirt on the front windscreen with no problem.
Pushing the stalk away from me makes a noise but no washer fluid on the rear windscreen. Instead it squirts fluid onto the floor of the passenger side from below the glovebox! Taking a closer look there is a hole with a black pipe coming from it, the pipe which contains the washer fluid.

On top of that the rear wiper now cannot be turned off after the fluid leak when turning the key in the ignition, every few seconds it moves. Also when using the left stalk it won't increase in speed using the little dial on top which moves left to right. i assume this is the speed for the rear wiper?

Also where does the washer fluid come from at the rear windscreen? I just can't find the nozzle which tend to be at the top of the rear screen.

Any help would be appreciated
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo 1.2 S 2007 Windscreen Fluid leak in passenger footwell

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, the rear wiper speed or period is fixed, that switch on top of the stalk is only to change the front wiper intermittent period.

There are a few pipe joins on this washer fluid system, you need to find where they all are and check them.

Normally this sort of thing would start when the washer tank has been left filling with just water and that has frozen in winter, does your system have enough washer fluid of the correct type in it to survive winter temperatures.

I think that you will now need to look under the bonnet and find the other end of that pipework and re-fix it - under the ABS block?

Of course it could be that the rear washer jet is chocked with dirty water being used, if so, you will need to remove that jet and see if the open pipe sprays out washer fluid, then if you can't clear that jet, get a new one ordered up at your local VW dealer.

The nozzle/jet on that car might still be at the pivot end of the arm, ie the drive shaft for the wiper is hollow with a washer fluid tube inside it.