Intermittent power steering

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
richmike
New
Drives: Mk7 1.2

Intermittent power steering

Post by richmike »

1.2 litre petrol Polo here.

Power steering is intermittent, started failing yesterday with a fault shown on the dash. Scanning codes shows 01309 - Power steering control module. Fluid levels are fine, power steering goes from fine to non-existant randomly.

It's dark and cold tonight so will be taking a look tomorrow. Apart from the obvious, checking the power steering fuses, checking earths and cleaning connectors to the power steering modules, is there anything that should be looked at?

Thanks for your help

Rich
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Intermittent power steering

Post by RUM4MO »

What is your battery health like, if the battery is old and failing, the power steering will be the first to get "knocked out" to keep the car running okay. If not battery, is the charging system working okay?
richmike
New

Post by richmike »

Battery measured 12.4v engine off, dropped to 10v cranking and measured 14.2v engine running so all is good there. Going to put car on a ramp Monday at some point and check connections. All fuses were fine.

I'm thinking steering yaw sensor might be the issue? Power steering still works, just gets a bit heavier intermittently with a MIL.
richmike
New

Post by richmike »

Right, well steering had completely gone now, any tips before it goes to the dealers?
richmike
New

Post by richmike »

Right, well steering had completely gone now, any tips before it goes to the dealers?
Jack9N
New
Drives: Polo 9N

Post by Jack9N »

Having this same problem, 1.2

Fluid is empty though, but can anyone help me on what fluid to get? Went to my local GSF car parts dealer today and on there system there's no certain one to get so instructed me to ask VW, anyone know?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You know one thing, these systems do not "use" fluid, ie if that system started off full of fluid and now that reservoir is empty or low, then that system has a fluid leak somewhere. Easiest place would be on a solid but rusted fluid pipe - worst place would be that the rack seals have failed and the oil has been forced out into the bellows at the steering rods, meaning a failed rack! Have you found where the fluid has leaked from?