Return of the Polo GT (warm hot hatch)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
richl123
New

Return of the Polo GT (warm hot hatch)

Post by richl123 »

Anyone seem this:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/geneva- ... egt/261639

138bhp 1.4-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine, 0-62mhp time of 7.9 seconds and 60mpg!

Might make a good compromise regarding performance versus reliability of the current GTI engine!
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Re: Return of the Polo GT (warm hot hatch)

Post by CANDYMAN »

Not to keen on the seat material :? Wonder if they are going to bring in a WRC polo?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

From my point of view, ie needing to get my wife another small car that has enough, but not too much power, that engine just scares me, the "two cylinder switch-off" technology will probably be as robust, reliable and as untested as VAG's other new technologies - ie super/turbo charging. What I need as a second car is a simple(ish) competant small car and that means one with enough power and enough "bells and whistles" - unfortunately, for a petrol liking person that still means an engine capacity of 1.6 litres as all smaller "smarter" ones are continuing, it seems to be unreliable long term, and in many cases just too heavy and servicing costs still too high. I can see me trying to find a 1.6 previous model Polo to keep my wife going until VAG straighten out their way forward. I must admit that I seem to have been wrong about the way the FSI camshafts were manufactured - or is that part of the very reason why none of the previously labelled "FSI" engines are now known by that name? I see the small Audi will soon be available with 4 doors and that "cylinder switching" engine - I doubt if that brand's customers will accept early engine failures.

Hopefull the "Blue GT" will also be available without some of the "Blue" stuff - no skinny tyres please!
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

What about a 1.4 16v? 4 cylinder no stop start technology :wink:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

CANDYMAN wrote:What about a 1.4 16v? 4 cylinder no stop start technology :wink:
Well, that is probably still the 85PS previously known as FSI engine, I'm not knocking it as my wife's 2003MY Polo has the older 75PS 1.4 16v and its a bit of a dog. My choice I must say - I thought, forgetting the FSI engine, two 1.4 16v engines available at that time, the 75PS and the 100PS, firstly, at that time the 100PS was not available as a 5 door and I reasoned it would be a bit like a racing engine so crap to drive at lower speeds/throttle openings, whereas the 75PS "MUST BE" infinately better to drive - what flawed logic!! Daughter has the 1.4 16v 85PS in her Ibiza SC she thinks its a bit flat - but a lot better than her old 1.4 8v 65PS Ibiza - now that was a noisy little engine with good low down pulling effort (for its age or 10 years earlier!).
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

RUM4MO wrote:From my point of view, ie needing to get my wife another small car that has enough, but not too much power, that engine just scares me, the "two cylinder switch-off" technology will probably be as robust, reliable and as untested as VAG's other new technologies - ie super/turbo charging. What I need as a second car is a simple(ish) competant small car and that means one with enough power and enough "bells and whistles" - unfortunately, for a petrol liking person that still means an engine capacity of 1.6 litres as all smaller "smarter" ones are continuing, it seems to be unreliable long term, and in many cases just too heavy and servicing costs still too high. I can see me trying to find a 1.6 previous model Polo to keep my wife going until VAG straighten out their way forward. I must admit that I seem to have been wrong about the way the FSI camshafts were manufactured - or is that part of the very reason why none of the previously labelled "FSI" engines are now known by that name? I see the small Audi will soon be available with 4 doors and that "cylinder switching" engine - I doubt if that brand's customers will accept early engine failures.

Hopefull the "Blue GT" will also be available without some of the "Blue" stuff - no skinny tyres please!
Well, I was under the impression it was only the twincharger engines that had problems, the 122PS 1.4 (turbo only) was reliable (fitted to MK5/6 A1 A3 Skoda)?

This is an evolution of the 122PS engine, so here's hoping...

I see VW are still doing the "old school" 1.2/60 1.2/70 1.4/85PS so there is some (cheaper) options still available.

I had a 2008 1.6 105PS Sport model, which was completely reliable, if a litle flat to drive.

This has the same size wheels as the GTI, in the style of the Zolder wheels on a R32.
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

RUM4MO wrote: or is that part of the very reason why none of the previously labelled "FSI" engines are now known by that name? I see the small Audi will soon be available with 4 doors and that "cylinder switching" engine - I doubt if that brand's customers will accept early engine failures.
!
I think proper FSI engines work in both homogeneous and stratified modes (and have a somewhat complicated extra NOX catalyst).

To my knowledge all the turbo engines still use direct injection but do away with the modes and only operate in homogeneous mode.

For a full explanation see http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_253.pdf
DubbisH
Getting There!

Post by DubbisH »

Looks and sounds quite good I think...... I'll wait for the R though :-)