Headlight switch stuck

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
haflidij
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4 2013 6R

Headlight switch stuck

Post by haflidij »

Hey there i bought a new headlight switch for my 1.4 6r and when i was going to take swap it out the switch doesnt come out. It seems as its stuck in there, ive tried pushing it more inwards and nudging but it doesnt seem to get loose.
Any trick you guys know of to get it out ?.
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Re: Headlight switch stuck

Post by peter_dk25 »

Remove the side panel and push it from behind....
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

peter_dk25 wrote:Remove the side panel and push it from behind....
You mean the side panel that the door closes up against ?. :P
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

I tried pulling the side panel off and pushing the switch from behind but it wouldnt move. Im worried its just jammed in there , maybe its just about the push harder tecnique :P.
The clips that are supposed to go in when you push and turn the switch seem to be jammed or something, they dont budge.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Once the switch knob is inserted and secured in the dismantling position you should push it from the rear. Turn the switch assembly slightly to one side and another while pushing.

If it does not come out in this way use the hands of the neighbor to extract it ... :mrgreen:
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

ciclo wrote:Once the switch knob is inserted and secured in the dismantling position you should push it from the rear. Turn the switch assembly slightly to one side and another while pushing.

If it does not come out in this way use the hands of the neighbor to extract it ... :mrgreen:
Yeah im going to have to try that. Its pretty annoying that its stuck like this !.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I seem to remember having that problem when I first thought about retro fitting foglights to my old Passat - eventually I managed to get it out - I'd think that it is these "dismantling/locking" latches that are still causing you problems - can you see what is happening to one or both of them while you look in through the side panel and pressing the switch inwards and turning it slightly to the left?
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

RUM4MO wrote:I seem to remember having that problem when I first thought about retro fitting foglights to my old Passat - eventually I managed to get it out - I'd think that it is these "dismantling/locking" latches that are still causing you problems - can you see what is happening to one or both of them while you look in through the side panel and pressing the switch inwards and turning it slightly to the left?
I did not look into the side while i was trying to get it out but im going to be trying again today and i will tell you if the latches move when i turn the locking system. Its pretty annoying that its stuck in there. What exacly did you do to get it out in the end ?.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

I assume you have turned the switch to the '0' position, pushed inwards and while holding in turn the switch clockwise to release the catches and then pull out?
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

joe6 wrote:I assume you have turned the switch to the '0' position, pushed inwards and while holding in turn the switch clockwise to release the catches and then pull out?
I know how to do it . I am doing exacly that but the thing is it wont budge. Its like the clips that hold it in place dont move inwards like they are supposed to do when i turn it clockwise.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry but I don't remember how I got it out in the end, I do know that I checked the procedure for removing it on my wife's Polo, and that worked out okay, so probably I just tried and tried and tried -------------- and then it came out!
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

RUM4MO wrote:Sorry but I don't remember how I got it out in the end, I do know that I checked the procedure for removing it on my wife's Polo, and that worked out okay, so probably I just tried and tried and tried -------------- and then it came out!
Yeah i just tried today and i cant see if the clips that lock the switch go in when i push it down and turn it clockwise. So i dont really know if they are moving at all when i turn it or not. No way to see it, i tried removing the side panel but you cant see it from there.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I had this happen.

You need to pull really hard on the headlight knob and pull that off, then you can prise the front of the switch off and release the catches

Itll be a new headlight switch afterwards as theres no way to save it
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

alexperkins wrote:I had this happen.

You need to pull really hard on the headlight knob and pull that off, then you can prise the front of the switch off and release the catches

Itll be a new headlight switch afterwards as theres no way to save it
So you are saying if i wanted to get it out i have to jut pull really hard on the switch ?. In the locking position or the unlocking position ?.
It will be just ruined afterwards ?.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

You have to remove the bit you turn, then prise the rest apart with a screwdriver which will allow you to get to the catches and release them. Easiest to lever it out with a screwdriver

Itll be destroyed.