Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by JohnPolo »

Polo Driver recently reported that the Polo will get a revamp next year. Interestingly the GTI is apparently going to get a 1.8 litre 185bhp unit, could this be true??
Would it be an admission that the 1.4 unit was fraught with oil consumption issues?
As someone who has had a new engine under warranty and still can't say that I'm completely satisfied with it, I for one will be watching with interest!
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

Not heard anything but if they're going to change the unit I doubt if will be back to the 1.8, more likely that 1.6 turbo unit if at all.

After my experience with the 6R GTI it's made me quite dubious about the 1.4tsi/dq200 combo that has found it's way into the hot VAG hatches. Why would they not offer the 1.4tsi engine with a manual box? It's counter intuitive to the hot hatch market - DSG must have been a handicap for the sales of these cars, it's made them more expensive and fault prone.

I could just about put up with the oil consumption if I didn't need a crystal ball to tell me how hard to press the pedal, to ensure I get out of this particular junction without lighting up the wheels and looking like a twoc or ending up in an RTA. Then there's the occasional cattle grid of clutch judder that refuses to rear it's head when you've actually got a VW technician in the passenger seat.

So why did they do it? Was it about emissions/economy or was it a marketing decision?

Why is there a speaker on the bulkhead mimicking the sound of another engine? Why is the supercharger, a device that generates lots of heat, insulated in a plastic box? It has teflon coated rotors and spins at 20,000 rpm for christ sake!?

The whole thing stinks to high hell of marketing interference. Someone in VW's marketing department must have really hated supercharger whine - and I'm not really surprised...

With so many stuck up motoring journo's, circle jerking to the 'purity' of the naturally aspirated engine and spewing vitriol about downsizing and turbocharging destroying the soul of an engine, it's no wonder. Well I'm sorry, this isn't a Reinheitsgebot I subscribe to - I actually like the sound and feel of forced induction because I grew up in the 80's. To me the golden years of motoring will always live there, alongside the early turbo charged car's that didn't pretend to be anything but.

I accept the lag, the whine and the big armfuls of torque. That to me is soul. Muting and mangling it into pretending it's something different is ridiculous, especially at the behest of some stuck up idiot with an English degree and a motoring magazine's captive soap box.

Anyway... After just over 2 years of ownership I'm done and dusted with it. I've still got just under a year left on my contract and it can't come soon enough, I just don't envy the poor sod who buys this car or any other 1.4tsi/dq200 powered vehicle out of warranty.

MB :evil:
adzmofo
New

Post by adzmofo »

So after having a new engine 20,000 miles ago my oil consumption is gradually going up again. I've been keeping a record of it and now am using 1L in just under 1000 miles. Sadly, I feel if i go to VW they will just pass this off as it's not under the magic 600 mile mark.

Anyone had any luck using different oil? I remember someone mentioned using mineral oil or a more semi-synth oil previously?
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

Just put cooking oil in if you're on a contract and the car will be going back eventually. Don't waste your money buying decent stuff, it will just keep drinking it.

If you've bought the car outright - flog it, cut your losses. It isn't going to get solved or "fixed" by the dealer no matter how many engines they put in it. The engine/drivetrain is just not fit for purpose. I pity the poor mug who buys one out of warranty.

My DSG box is juddering a lot now - I've been back to the dealers but they say they can't get it to judder and there is nothing coming up on the diagnostic so there is nothing they can do. The clutch plates are probably blue but a computer won't show that up.

I've not got the time any more to take the car to the dealer - it's a ball ache. I've totted it up and the car has spent well over 3 weeks with them since I took delivery.

Lifelong VAG enthusiast but I'll never buy another VAG group car again. My VCDS is going on ebay...
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

Done about 5k and it used on oil at all so looks like they fixed it :D
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

tt509 wrote:Done about 5k and it used on oil at all so looks like they fixed it :D
That is great news! I have done about 3,300 miles but still used about 0.6L of oil on replacement engine, I am expecting this to tail off as the engine beds down more.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

skipster wrote:
tt509 wrote:Done about 5k and it used on oil at all so looks like they fixed it :D
That is great news! I have done about 3,300 miles but still used about 0.6L of oil on replacement engine, I am expecting this to tail off as the engine beds down more.
I would say that 0,6 is normal.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Yes - I am happy with that Martin, the original engine was burning off 1 litre every 600 miles at its worst!
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

Actually - my local dealer and VW customer service say 1 litre every 600 miles is considered normal. That doesn't stop it from being wrong.

VW won't help you - it would be an admission that their award winning little engine isn't worthy of all the back slapping they got in the press for it a few years ago.

It's full of fail and is fast going down the route of the w**k rotary in the Mazda RX series cars - revered by those who never actually owned the vehicle or had to live with it.

:roll:
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

hahaha PHPbb won't let me say w**k

W an kel

W A N K E L!!!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

@mousebat, yes - I was told by one dealer that 600 miles per litre was normal, as the car at the time was throwing out blue smoke from the exhaust, I could feel the anger building inside me. I disputed it and won my case in the end but only after getting VW customer services involved.

I owned a Mazda RX/8 from new a few years ago, and to be honest, it is a myth they use lots of oil (fuel yes). They only use a little more than a normal engine. The difference is you have to keep an eye on it as they burn off a little. I can safely say our Polo was burning way more than my RX/8 until we had the engine replaced.
vedubber
New

Post by vedubber »

3k on the clock now - used about 200ml and that was about 3/4 of the way down the dipstick.

So far things seem ok.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

My engine replacement appeared to solve the problem at first but over the proceeding months the oil consumption has increased and the tell -tale signs of smoke have appeared on occasions.
I got one more oil consumption test in before the warranty ended but it showed everything within tolerances. My dealership is keen to buy my car back, they are in demand apparently. I'm going to replace it in the spring and only would consider another one if the engine spec changes. So I'm awaiting the Tokyo motor show where they are apparently going to reveal the tweaked Polo with revised engines.

In addition to the new engine I had a new clutch pack fitted as the DSG used to shudder on pulling away from stop. So all in all it has been a case of design over substance with my Polo GTI.
G77
New

Post by G77 »

Don't know if this helps but, I have just traded in a 2010, Seat Leon CUPRA R that was stage 2+ Revo tuned, 380bhp. They used to use a lot of oil but I switched to Millers Oils NANODRIVE CFS 5w-40 NT Full Synthetic and it hardly used a drop.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.
Kemik
New

Post by Kemik »

Hi all,

I'm running a 2011 plate Polo GTI and have been experiencing the same issues as people have described here. I took it to the dealership who, after two "measure how many miles you do before the light comes on", they done something to the pistons and replaced my DSG which was juddering. After this it continued to drink oil so they agreed to replace the oil breather pipe. This has continued so they asked me to come in so they could do an oil weigh test. Unfortunately, as I explained to them, they wanted me to do it over Christmas to 620 miles. This basically resulted in me doing a return trip up North to see family and then they immediately performed the test. The result was 0.3L of oil use for 620 miles or "Well within specification".

I'm currently arguing that it uses way more than that, even after the breather pipe. They refuse to do another test, explaining VW won't pay for it. My warranty runs out in March so I'm kicking off to VW customer service via phone and fb page. Anyone have any other suggestions? It is obvious it needs a new engine!