Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Edi30
Gold Member

Re: Using Oil!

Post by Edi30 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Said it states can use 1 litre ever 900 miles in handbook he said so normal :roll: using a bit thicker oil instead
Checked on a few other forums regarding 1.4 TSI engine and oil use when running in looks quite common but these settle down once bedded in, so I am a little more relaxed about it now but will keep and eye on the level.
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

well just checked mine and 709 mile on the clock and 700 ml gone in so not quite a full 1lt, hope this dose settle down alot soon.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

bennyboy wrote:well just checked mine and 709 mile on the clock and 700 ml gone in so not quite a full 1lt, hope this dose settle down alot soon.
Thanks for the update it's nice to know we have had the same experience and is regarded as normal :? Mine has done 2000 miles now so I need to check the oil again at 2100 so will update at this point.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Checked my oil at 1000 miles as told to by the VW dealer oil seemed ok was within range check again at 1500 and it was right at the bottom of the dipstick. So i had to stick a litre in last week. seems to be a standard thing with this engine as it seems almost everyone is having to top it up around similar mileage.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

big_amir wrote:Checked my oil at 1000 miles as told to by the VW dealer oil seemed ok was within range check again at 1500 and it was right at the bottom of the dipstick. So i had to stick a litre in last week. seems to be a standard thing with this engine as it seems almost everyone is having to top it up around similar mileage.
Thanks for the update, yes I had mine topped up at 1600 miles. Checked mine again today at 2100 and the level had dropped very slightly but does not need topping up. Checked the manual and this said that this engine can use a litre of oil every 2000 miles if driven hard but may be even higher when new. The good news is mine seams to be settling down so I am not worried. Looked at some more forums on Polo GTI and this is very common.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Mines ok now 5w30 seems to have done the trick
mt8
New

Post by mt8 »

When i picked mine up from the dealer the service guy said keep a close eye on the oil level as these new tsi engines are prone to using oil, he quoted 1lt per 2/3000 miles is common and my wife has a tt and previously golf gti and these both needed/ need to be carefully monitored.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Mines ok now 5w30 seems to have done the trick
Good news :D
Blaade
Bronze Member

Post by Blaade »

Mine needed 500 ml top up at 1600 miles.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I have been monitoring the oil level and it has been getting low but have left it until the warning light came on to see if usage is less than before. I can confirm that the engine is using the same amount of oil at 3000 miles as the warning light came on today and have put in 900ml. Called the dealer and they have made a note and will update VW to provide the info. I am not really worried more annoyed as I have not had to put this amount of oil in any car I have owned in the past.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

Edi30 wrote:I have been monitoring the oil level and it has been getting low but have left it until the warning light came on to see if usage is less than before. I can confirm that the engine is using the same amount of oil at 3000 miles as the warning light came on today and have put in 900ml. Called the dealer and they have made a note and will update VW to provide the info. I am not really worried more annoyed as I have not had to put this amount of oil in any car I have owned in the past.

dont buy an rx8 :lol:

its something im a bit worried about even though its normal :(
Last edited by daydotz on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

daydotz wrote:

dont buy an rx8 :lol:

:lol: need to replace rotor tips every time you change the oil :wink:
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

daydotz wrote:
its something im a bit worried about even though its normal :(
Relax, that's why you have a warranty :D
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

what oil are you using ive just looked at 4litres of castrol edge and its 45quid :o
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

daydotz wrote:what oil are you using ive just looked at 4litres of castrol edge and its 45quid :o
Shell Helix, has the same VW 502 spec.