Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: Using Oil!

Post by whitegtipolo »

Mines ok now thicker oil req dont use 0 grade like cat p*** use 5 or 10 as long as its fully synthetic its fine my dealer said every 900 miles can use litre normal thin gay oil
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Ok, well you guys aren't filling me with confidence in my purchase!! :(

This happened to a guy here in australia, but no warning light, the car just stopped and when it got back to the dealer, there was no oil in it. He is taking this up with consumer affairs australia because he only had the car for 2 weeks and did less than 1000 kms in it, therefore this would lead us to believe that the car had nowhere near enough oil in it to begin with. I would bet there is some form of internal damage from this. I had a toyota surf diesel that used to drink oil due to very worn rings after 500,000kms, but not to these levels, it would use around 1 ltr per 2000-3000kms. This is a ridiculous figure. Like toyota here in australia, saying that the new v8 diesel in the lancruiser 200 series is ok if its drinking 1L of oil per 1000kms. Uh uh, not believing that for a minute people!
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Its true new cars are designed to use oil its so thin it slips past rings etc etc ask any dealer even hondas are bad for it i go to many cars working for the aa and most use oil alot. Vw say 1 litre ever 1000miles is normal
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Its true new cars are designed to use oil its so thin it slips past rings etc etc ask any dealer even hondas are bad for it i go to many cars working for the aa and most use oil alot. Vw say 1 litre ever 1000miles is normal
So for me 1500-1600 miles between top ups is good then :shock: doesn't seem right to me. I have topped up with Shell Helix Ultra 5w 40 so this should hopefully be better than the long life oil that VW use :?
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

id hope it wouldnt use that much oil for its entire life hopefully it will settle down
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Just checked my oil after 3850 Miles and it is bang on the middle of the dipstick. Which means i have only had to fill in 1 litre of oil in. When i filled it up though i did only put the cheap VW oil in it not any branded one. maybe that's what's making the difference and its half the price. :shock:
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Could it be how the engines were worked in the first 200 or so miles? I know there are several schools of thought on this, but how much did all of you with oil consumption issues load up your engines in the first 200 miles?
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

gavs wrote:Could it be how the engines were worked in the first 200 or so miles? I know there are several schools of thought on this, but how much did all of you with oil consumption issues load up your engines in the first 200 miles?
I used the same approach as I did with my Edition 30 which was to use the first 30 miles to bed in the rings. I then used the car normally (but not hard or labouring) and didn't run it in as the book says. As I picked mine up mid Nov the weather was really poor so could not drive the car hard even if I had wanted to for the first 1500 miles. Any way using this method my ED30 never needed any oil between annual services 10k Miles per year and it was driven fairly hard. So the only thing is that is different is the engine.
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

Just checked my oil level and it's almost at the bottom of the hatched area on the end of the dipstick, nearly minimum and I've only done 956 miles in mine.

Taking it to the dealers tonight as Ive got a big trip on thursday so I need to make sure shes feeling ok before I go.

as a side note for gavs, I drove mine relatively hard for the first 20 miles, then eased off and drove normally for about 300 and then started openning up the throttle and booting it when I had the opportunity, since then it's been driven pretty hard but not stupidly; always warm the oil up to at least 90 before I give it any beans.

My dealer recommended that at about 250 miles I take my car onto the motorway (when its quiet), put it in manual and hold it near the redline in each gear to maximise the tolerances. He didn't really elaborate much past that, and I'm not overly mechanically minded (car wise anyway) so it would be interesting to know what effect that would have?

The only things I know about the start of an engines life I read on that Mototune USA Breaking In Secrets article.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

interesting article like. maybe worth a discussion in another Topic, instead of this one.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Yes this is the method I used for both the Polo GTI and Edition 30 so why does the Polo use oil and the ED30 didn't? :?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Crappy ring tolerances and typical of VW being arrogant and refusing to admit there is a problem? Or is that just VW here in australia that does that.....

bansaiTiger, if you have left it untill you have done 250miles, you have left it too long according to that article. The critical period to load up the engine is in the first 200 odd miles.
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

gavs wrote:Crappy ring tolerances and typical of VW being arrogant and refusing to admit there is a problem? Or is that just VW here in australia that does that.....

bansaiTiger, if you have left it untill you have done 250miles, you have left it too long according to that article. The critical period to load up the engine is in the first 200 odd miles.

Well like I said I hammered it in the first 30 miles which according the article is the prime time for it. After that I took it easy because of fuel and speed limits and stuff. Maybe your right though, I might have missed the boat.

I went in to my dealers last night and he gave me a litre of oil for free! 5w30 eps stuff from mobil 1. Came in a little case and everything. Nice guy man, I like my dealer he's a good guy we have a laugh.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Sounds like you did the right thing ref the article. Nice that your dealer gave you the oil, did they top it up as well?
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

I thought I had. We shall see though.

Nah he was with a client, I mean someone else could have done it but it was like quarter to 7 and I know how to top the bloody thing up so I just got out of there. It's spot-on though man I mean its a really small dealership and they're super helpful, I went to the one in Liverpool and when I said I was interested in the GTI I was with my mate, we both looked well scruffy and he basically told me I probably wouldn't be able to afford it. I was massively offended but knowing that I could afford it was enough for me to ignore the daft ba***rd and crack on to the audi dealership down the road where I was rudely brushed off again when inquiring about an A1.

When I went in to the VW dealership thats two minutes away from my sleepy village in seasidey southport (CORKILLS southport) I was with my girlfriend and after a two minute conversation with me the guy sat down with me for an hour and a half to help me find a GTI available in the next TWO WEEKS , even though there was a 7month waiting list, and he found one! AND he tagged it for me there and then even though I wasn't 100% certain I would be purchasing it!

Small Dealerships for big car companies all the way, my dealer even gave me free GAP insurance for gods sake!? I'd be lucky to get a handshake off the other two idiots.

<Rant>/
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Yes it's nice when you get treated properly and also the other dealers probably did you a favour in a way but they should not be so pompous.