Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
craig200588
Getting There!

Re: Using Oil!

Post by craig200588 »

I just checked the oil in my car, its only done 350 miles and its hovering just above the minimum on the dipstick. Away to top it up with some 10w40. Hope i dont break it lol!!
CTCELT900
New

Post by CTCELT900 »

craig200588 wrote:I just checked the oil in my car, its only done 350 miles and its hovering just above the minimum on the dipstick. Away to top it up with some 10w40. Hope i dont break it lol!!
That can't be right. For the car to have used nearly 3 litres in only 350 miles doesn't make sense. I would get it checked if I were you.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

CTCELT900 wrote:
craig200588 wrote:I just checked the oil in my car, its only done 350 miles and its hovering just above the minimum on the dipstick. Away to top it up with some 10w40. Hope i dont break it lol!!
That can't be right. For the car to have used nearly 3 litres in only 350 miles doesn't make sense. I would get it checked if I were you.
If the oil is still showing on the dip stick it will have used less than a litre. However this usage over over only 350 miles sounds excessive. Mine is using 1 litre every 1500 miles so far (3500 miles to date) so have topped it up twice. Might be worth your dealer taking a look?
craig200588
Getting There!

Post by craig200588 »

Really??

I think I might pop into VW next week! planning a 500 mile trip next weekend, dont want the dam thing clunking out on me!!
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

small update from me checked my oil again today ... not good had to put i about 1 1/2 lts showing on the minimum , miles done 2041 so im using 1lt every 1000 miles ISH, still waiting for this to start to settle down as i carnt aford to keep topping up this amount this often. :(
BUT on the + side love driving every mile i have done still putting a smile on my face the only problem i have is every time i put my right foot down my petrol gauge seems to go down just as quick any 1 else having the same problem ? :lol:
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

how long have you had it bennyboy? I've had mine three weeks and already done over 2000 miles!! F********K. depreciation monster.
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

picked mine up on the 15th jan after a monster wait of 9 months.
craig200588
Getting There!

Post by craig200588 »

can I ask a dumb question! But what oil should I really using? my brother told me to stay away from the cheap Tesco crap that I normally keep in my boot!!
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

craig200588 wrote:can I ask a dumb question! But what oil should I really using? my brother told me to stay away from the cheap Tesco crap that I normally keep in my boot!!
He is correct. The manual will tell you what spec to use something like VW 502 00. There is a different spec between normal and long life oil so check. I use Shell helix ultra which is about £15 a litre or if you aren't sure go to the dealer. If you don't use oil with the correct spec you may damage the engine.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

as long as u use fully synthetic oil you be ok get the car serviced every 10000 miles you will have no problems at all £15 a litre well expensive :shock: this thread needs locking new cars use alot of oil :roll:
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Reading this with interest, I have had a Polo GTI for 3 months now and have been a bit concerned by the oil its using. Noticed after about 600 miles that it was hovering just above the minimum so topped it up just a little (always worried about over filling). After a another couple of hundred it had dropped again, so again topped it up woth some Castrol Edge fully synthetic.

Last weekend while taking it for a bit of a blast, pulling away from some lights, I noticed quite a cloud of blue hazy smoke out the exhaust, I felt sorry for the guy behind me. I was quite worried but the car was behaving normally. Further down the road I booted it to get past something and again I saw a cloud of exhaust smoke :o

For the rest of the journey there was no smoke evident. Admittedly it was the first proper workout for the car for a few weeks as it had just ben in town all stop/start driving for a while.

Anyone else seen smoke out the exhaust similar to how I described? Now have 1,400 miles on the clock.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

skipster wrote:Reading this with interest, I have had a Polo GTI for 3 months now and have been a bit concerned by the oil its using. Noticed after about 600 miles that it was hovering just above the minimum so topped it up just a little (always worried about over filling). After a another couple of hundred it had dropped again, so again topped it up woth some Castrol Edge fully synthetic.

Last weekend while taking it for a bit of a blast, pulling away from some lights, I noticed quite a cloud of blue hazy smoke out the exhaust, I felt sorry for the guy behind me. I was quite worried but the car was behaving normally. Further down the road I booted it to get past something and again I saw a cloud of exhaust smoke :o

For the rest of the journey there was no smoke evident. Admittedly it was the first proper workout for the car for a few weeks as it had just ben in town all stop/start driving for a while.

Anyone else seen smoke out the exhaust similar to how I described? Now have 1,400 miles on the clock.
No I haven't noticed any smoke, this does not sound right have you taken it to the dealers? I will watch for it next time I boot it.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

No, I have not been back to the dealer with the car, I did mention to them that it is drinking a lot of oil to which they said that is 'normal' for a new engine.
You certainly don't expect blue smoke to be coming out of a '60' reg car for sure. I will keep an eye on it.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

skipster wrote:No, I have not been back to the dealer with the car, I did mention to them that it is drinking a lot of oil to which they said that is 'normal' for a new engine.
You certainly don't expect blue smoke to be coming out of a '60' reg car for sure. I will keep an eye on it.
No blue smoke out of mine, so I suggest you get it checked out.
Tyler Owen
Getting There!

Post by Tyler Owen »

Nope I don't get any blue smoke either, even after a spirited drive!