Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by skipster »

Thanks guys for your replies, I mentioned the smoke from the exhaust to my dealer today but they were not too concerned, as it can occur after a period of 'low RPM'.

The car had been driven mainly in town on short journeys for 2-3 weeks with rpm probably not exceeding 3krpm. When I took it out on a run, it was then I noticed it. It happened twice and not seen it since.

I still think back to when I bought the car as the salesman took it to 6000rpm when the engine was cold! That could not have done it much good, but am confident the engine is fine anyway.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

skipster wrote:Thanks guys for your replies, I mentioned the smoke from the exhaust to my dealer today but they were not too concerned, as it can occur after a period of 'low RPM'.

The car had been driven mainly in town on short journeys for 2-3 weeks with rpm probably not exceeding 3krpm. When I took it out on a run, it was then I noticed it. It happened twice and not seen it since.

I still think back to when I bought the car as the salesman took it to 6000rpm when the engine was cold! That could not have done it much good, but am confident the engine is fine anyway.
Blame the salesman for damaging the engine when cold :D Hmm, you will get a build up of oil at low RPM if the valve guide seals are not sealing properly (had this on a previous car not a VW I hasten to add). Anyone technically competent (not me) got any further thoughts? My car goes from slow town driving to A and B roads and no smoke.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

skipster wrote:Thanks guys for your replies, I mentioned the smoke from the exhaust to my dealer today but they were not too concerned, as it can occur after a period of 'low RPM'.

hence why they are a sales person, they have no idea about engines :evil:
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Believe me everyone stop worrying over this oil loss it will only cause u head ache it's common for new engines to loose oil and yu have warranty so don't worry :roll:
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

whitegtipolo wrote:Believe me everyone stop worrying over this oil loss it will only cause u head ache it's common for new engines to loose oil and yu have warranty so don't worry :roll:

Agree I am not worried, it's just useful for those of us not used to any and/or heavy oil consumption to understand that you are not alone with this 1.4 engine. This really is the only downside to this great engine.
BonsaiTiger
Getting There!

Post by BonsaiTiger »

Mines calmed down a bit now at 4500. Im on the motorways and a roads though, Once its warm I basically boot it everytime I put my foot on the pedal. Im addicated to that noise!! and the noise of the turbo and the super spinning away. I bet whitegtipolos sounds flippin sick with the forge BOV fitted. YES!!! IT'S THE WEEKEND!!! LETS GO AND DRIVE OUR CARS ON NICE ROADS!!! YEEESSSSSSS

I AM EXCITED!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

I love mine cant wait for de cat and exhaust yum yum
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Hey, guess what mine needed another litre at 4200 miles :!: took it to the dealer who topped it up and is doing a controlled level check so have to take it back after another 500 miles to be checked. I am not that bothered that it is using oil but making sure the dealer is aware in case of any issues. They are interested in my car as they have only sold 3 so using it to keep tabs on usage plus they are paying for the oil :wink:
darrenpolo
Getting There!

Post by darrenpolo »

Mine has done 1700' miles and already used 2 litres of oil. It ain't cheap either lol :lol:
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

darrenpolo wrote:Mine has done 1700' miles and already used 2 litres of oil. It ain't cheap either lol :lol:
I believe this to be the biggest issue. if it was specced to us any old oil, then we could all top up with $5 iL bottles but it's not. The oil specced is stupidly expensive and for all teh blah blah blah about how good modern engines are, I do not personally believe that to use this much oil should be accaptable especially as this engine is marketed for it's environmental friendliness, how would the greenies like the fact that 100% synthetic oil is being torched in these engines at the rate of 1L per 1000kms?! over the average life of the car (3yrs, 60,000kms), that equates to 60 liters of torched oil. Go burn that in your backyard with petrol and see how long the EPA takes to get to your doorstep!
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

gavs wrote:
darrenpolo wrote:Mine has done 1700' miles and already used 2 litres of oil. It ain't cheap either lol :lol:
I believe this to be the biggest issue. if it was specced to us any old oil, then we could all top up with $5 iL bottles but it's not. The oil specced is stupidly expensive and for all teh blah blah blah about how good modern engines are, I do not personally believe that to use this much oil should be accaptable especially as this engine is marketed for it's environmental friendliness, how would the greenies like the fact that 100% synthetic oil is being torched in these engines at the rate of 1L per 1000kms?! over the average life of the car (3yrs, 60,000kms), that equates to 60 liters of torched oil. Go burn that in your backyard with petrol and see how long the EPA takes to get to your doorstep!
Good point, hadn't really thought about it this way.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Oil consumption doesn't seem to get better with more mileage. I've done 7400 Miles and the car has had 4 litres last litre at 6800 Miles.
However i don't put castrol in i use the VW OEM oil and it only costs about £5.50 a litre from the VW Garage.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

big_amir wrote:Oil consumption doesn't seem to get better with more mileage. I've done 7400 Miles and the car has had 4 litres last litre at 6800 Miles.
However i don't put castrol in i use the VW OEM oil and it only costs about £5.50 a litre from the VW Garage.
mmmm - This is a bit of a surprise for me if oil consumption has not settled after 7,400. We have just under 2,000, so still very low, I guess I have put in just under 2 litres but that is probably within normal manufacturer tolerance for a new engine. :?
daydotz
Silver Member

Using Oil!

Post by daydotz »

I've put half a litre in at 600miles
I've noticed alot of smoke first thing my car barely warms up an the oil only reaches 78c temperature is critical 10c an the car warms nicely for my run into work

I'm not sure how it's going to like 0 -5 starts an runs to work most of the year
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Had to stick about half a litre in my 1.2 TSI today, only done just shy of 2000 miles :roll: Is it the TSI engines which go through oil for fun?