Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by skipster »

Hi Mate,

Yes - you only have to look at the length of this thread to see that this is a well documented problem. I went through the same hassle, started off with replacement piston rings (I assume thats what they did on yours), and that did improve matters for a while before getting worse again as the rings bedded in.

After further oil consumption tests, I too had the breather pipe mod applied and the ECU update, but if anything I thought the oil usage was even worse after that. I was down to 600 miles per litre. Eventually they agreed to a new engine but that did involve VW customer service, as the dealers have no power to make the decisions here.

Did your dealer really ask you to drive 'until the light comes on'? If they did, that is really not the way to perform these tests and you are into the danger zone once the light is on. The correct method is the one you mention, they top it up with oil and you take it back to them once it has done 625 miles (or 1000km).

The manual says the engine may use 1litre of oil per 2000KM (or 1,250 miles), so that is why they are saying it is within specification, but it is still absurd. Are you seeing smoke out the exhaust?

What kind of mileage is your car on?

In the first instance I would raise a case with VW Customer Services, and get the ball rolling there. This is a familiar story so this will be of no surprise to them. I would be inclined to get another dealer to do the oil consumption tests, I don't think yours have been performed very accurately.

Definitely need to sort it out before the warranty runs out, there is not much time left, and you don't want anyone dragging their heels at this stage.

Good luck - and it is a real pain this!
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

Has this issue been 'resolved' on the newer engines? I specifically asked VW directly last year and they said it had been resolved from factory but I'm not so sure!

I think the 2014 versions of the 1.4 ACT engine puts out 148PS, I wonder if it has been updated in more than one way...

I currently drive a MK4 Astra with a 1.6 16v engine in...206,000 miles so far and it does not use a drop of oil between 20k oil changes...
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

My 1,4 TSI AE211 with ACT doesn't use anywhere near what the factory says is acceptable. So that's prette good. :)

I have done just over 10000 miles in mine now and I changed the oil for the first time last weekend.
Before the oilchange It had used only just 0,7 litres of oil since new.
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

Cheers, there seems to be a wild variation across technically identical engines! I know many with the same engine as my Astra that have major oil usage, and others like me who have never had any.
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

I've just done 2250 miles in my new to me Polo GTI and I've had to put in 0.9 ltrs over that time.

I've not let it drop more than half way down the hatched area on the dipstick.

It's more than is expect to be honest, but well within the spec I suppose, and certainly far better than some of the vehicles that have needed new engines as per this thread.

So, I'll be putting in circa 4 ltrs of oil in between 10000 mile services, which won't do any harm I guess!

I've still got 10 months VW warranty left so will monitor it closely.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Tooks wrote:I've just done 2250 miles in my new to me Polo GTI and I've had to put in 0.9 ltrs over that time.

It's more than is expect to be honest, but well within the spec I suppose, and certainly far better than some of the vehicles that have needed new engines as per this thread.

So, I'll be putting in circa 4 ltrs of oil in between 10000 mile services, which won't do any harm I guess!

That's way above spec... I would go talk to VW about it.
Better get it sortet with as much warranty left as possible.
Tooks
Bronze Member

Post by Tooks »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:
Tooks wrote:I've just done 2250 miles in my new to me Polo GTI and I've had to put in 0.9 ltrs over that time.

That's way above spec... I would go talk to VW about it.
Better get it sortet with as much warranty left as possible.
Way above spec?

I make my oil consumption 1l for every 2500 miles (4023 km), I thought that 'spec' was 1l every 1250 miles (2012 km)?

It's more than I'd like, but can't see them doing anything when it's half what the VW spec says.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

i have use 1,4 litres over a course of 19.000 miles in my BlueGT. So I just think 1 litre pr 2500 miles is a lot.
Tooks
Bronze Member

Post by Tooks »

Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:i have use 1,4 litres over a course of 19.000 miles in my BlueGT. So I just think 1 litre pr 2500 miles is a lot.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but then sounds like you got a particularly good one!

My old S3 used approx 0.5 litre every 6000 miles which is when I used to change the oil anyway.

I'll keep monitoring it.
sony
Getting There!

Post by sony »

I think that people need to appreciate that the GTI is a high performance engine with a turbo and supercharger! Granted, some engines do drink too much but I accept that if the only issue is the engine requiring a fair top up from time to time I'll be happy! Mine is using a bit more recently- about 0.3l every 1200 miles.
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

sony wrote:I think that people need to appreciate that the GTI is a high performance engine with a turbo and supercharger! Granted, some engines do drink too much but I accept that if the only issue is the engine requiring a fair top up from time to time I'll be happy! Mine is using a bit more recently- about 0.3l every 1200 miles.

That's a fair point. 180hp from a 1.4 @37 mpg urban use is phenomenal when you think what size engine or turbo you'd need 10 years ago. It's cutting edge and needs a little attention to keep it running. I've stuck 1.5 litres in, in 4500 miles (plus a service which probably on net balance topped it up) So I'd estimate 2000 miles for litre. Keep a 1 litre bottle in the boot and jobsagoodun.
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by funlovincriminal »

I've got oil service next week on my 14 plate gti, 9,200 miles on the clock and the oil is just over halfway up the hatched area on the dipstick, so don't know how much it's used? any ideas?
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Yes - I reckon about 1/2 litre, absolutely fine in that mileage.
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

Post by tommytse22 »

I'm getting worried only had car 3 weeks now and I done 778 miles and the dip stick is nearly empty! My car is. 2013 model :/ my minds playing now since I only just got the car and already seeing the problem I thought I was the lucky one and didn't get the problem but by looking at things I have it ?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

tommytse22 wrote:I'm getting worried only had car 3 weeks now and I done 778 miles and the dip stick is nearly empty! My car is. 2013 model :/ my minds playing now since I only just got the car and already seeing the problem I thought I was the lucky one and didn't get the problem but by looking at things I have it ?
With it being a 2013 model it should be fine, oil problems with these engines are usually related to the earlier models. All TSI engines use a fair bit of oil anyway its just how they are, I keep a litre in the boot at all times and mine uses around 1 litre every 2-3k, better that than it run out in the middle of nowhere. I'd top it up and measure how much it uses then, if you still feel its excessive take it to VW and request an oil consumption test, but bear in mind that with the tolerances they have even some care which are burning oil still pass the test. I now order my oil online as its £35 for 5 litres + 1 litre for the boot instead of paying £25 each time I run out at a fuel station.