New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Re: New GTI

Post by Andy4791 »

Yeah true resale time it could be useful. If I was looking for a used example though wouldn't let the fact it had or hadn't got sport button sway me one way or another.
MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

Post by MczZippy »

id say cruise is something a lot of people look for and parking sensors.. they make the most difference to re-sale price (and obviously 5/3 door and gearbox) as well as appeal. i have the sport button, i could live without it, but it is such fun when engaged and the car feels like a different animal.
Circle6C9
New
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi

Post by Circle6C9 »

Picked up my 66 plate GTi last Thursday - previously had a MKII Fabia vRS - it was after much deliberation I went for the Polo (it came down to Polo or ST Fiesta) and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations - it's a pleasant place to sit and the 1.8 seems a much meatier affair in comparison to the twin-charger (and I'm a twin-charger fan - when they're not drinking oil... - although mine wasn't too bad) with a healthy dose of torque on tap.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Circle6C9 wrote:Picked up my 66 plate GTi last Thursday - previously had a MKII Fabia vRS - it was after much deliberation I went for the Polo (it came down to Polo or ST Fiesta) and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations - it's a pleasant place to sit and the 1.8 seems a much meatier affair in comparison to the twin-charger (and I'm a twin-charger fan - when they're not drinking oil... - although mine wasn't too bad) with a healthy dose of torque on tap.
I am also a twin charger fan. I had a manual twin charger Scirocco 160 with stage 1 which I kept for 60k miles with no mechanical problems ( one ECU reflash by VW). Produced about the same power as the Polo GTI but heavier and less torque at low revs in spite of the supercharger. MPG was better than the Polo although the Polo is probably still a bit tight. Like the 1.8 for the same reason (meatier as you say).
Circle6C9
New

Post by Circle6C9 »

joe6 wrote:
Circle6C9 wrote:Picked up my 66 plate GTi last Thursday - previously had a MKII Fabia vRS - it was after much deliberation I went for the Polo (it came down to Polo or ST Fiesta) and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations - it's a pleasant place to sit and the 1.8 seems a much meatier affair in comparison to the twin-charger (and I'm a twin-charger fan - when they're not drinking oil... - although mine wasn't too bad) with a healthy dose of torque on tap.
I am also a twin charger fan. I had a manual twin charger Scirocco 160 with stage 1 which I kept for 60k miles with no mechanical problems ( one ECU reflash by VW). Produced about the same power as the Polo GTI but heavier and less torque at low revs in spite of the supercharger. MPG was better than the Polo although the Polo is probably still a bit tight. Like the 1.8 for the same reason (meatier as you say).
The 160 Scirocco doesn't seem as badly affected by oil consumption issues as the 180 in the 6R, Fabia and Ibiza (and the 185 in the A1) - although a work colleague did have a complete engine failure (the old cylinder three) out of warranty (VW replaced the engine out of 'goodwill' but he'd to contribute around a grand).
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

SRGTD wrote:
Penarth Blues wrote:
Andy4791 wrote:After owning mine since October 2015 I wouldn't bother with the sport button in my opinion. I've used it on occasion and it's fun but find myself using normal mode 99% of the time.
For the price I think it's a steal. It sharpens the throttle, weights the steering up a bit, makes it turn sharper into bends, firms up the dampers and puts fake sound into the cabin which does make it SOUND more sporty. That's a personal taste thing but is good fun and should appeal on resale if nothing else.
Like Andy, I also use the Sport setting very rarely. I find the suspension a bit too firm and jiggly in Sport mode for normal everyday use and I'm not too keen on the fake sound, but agree with Penarth Blues, it may appeal to others when the time comes to sell.
I also rarely use the Sport button - mainly because I tend to forget its there as the normal mode is fine for everyday driving. One thing I do notice when it is first engaged is that it takes about a mile for the car to 'settle down'' from a slightly go kart ride to just a firmer ride. However the increased throttle response is well worth having and I'd not want my £250 back regardless of how little I've used it. It's like having a stereo that will still sound good when you turn it up loud - you'll rarely use it but it brings a smile to your face when you do, and isn't that what having a GTI is all about? :D
Circle6C9
New

Post by Circle6C9 »

It's a big improvement off the line compared to the vRS, which usually involved the front tyres scrabbling about.
StuartDonnachie
New

Post by StuartDonnachie »

Penarth Blues wrote:
SRGTD wrote:
Penarth Blues wrote:
For the price I think it's a steal. It sharpens the throttle, weights the steering up a bit, makes it turn sharper into bends, firms up the dampers and puts fake sound into the cabin which does make it SOUND more sporty. That's a personal taste thing but is good fun and should appeal on resale if nothing else.
Like Andy, I also use the Sport setting very rarely. I find the suspension a bit too firm and jiggly in Sport mode for normal everyday use and I'm not too keen on the fake sound, but agree with Penarth Blues, it may appeal to others when the time comes to sell.
I also rarely use the Sport button - mainly because I tend to forget its there as the normal mode is fine for everyday driving. One thing I do notice when it is first engaged is that it takes about a mile for the car to 'settle down'' from a slightly go kart ride to just a firmer ride. However the increased throttle response is well worth having and I'd not want my £250 back regardless of how little I've used it. It's like having a stereo that will still sound good when you turn it up loud - you'll rarely use it but it brings a smile to your face when you do, and isn't that what having a GTI is all about? :D
Think I'm sold on it! A high percentage of used ones seem to have it anyway. Probably most people just adding it for the sake of £250 when they bought them new.
Norfolk Boy
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti

Post by Norfolk Boy »

It's been a while since I've posted on this site. I've moved from my Polo GTI to a Fiesta ST3 and more recently to a Golf R! The Polo's 1.8 engine is sweet, the ST a better chassis in my view but I struggled with the comfort of the Recaros. The R is like a massively grown up Polo and I'm still getting used to it! The thing that annoyed me about the Polo was condensation in the winter which isn't a problem in the R. The Polo is still up there in terms of the cars I've owned.
Pologti17
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 awaiting Gti.

Post by Pologti17 »

Finally my polo Gti has moved to in transit, how long do you normally wait after it leaves the factory to get to the uk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rik762
Getting There!
Drives: 2017 Polo GTI DSG

Post by Rik762 »

Mine was really quick, just over two weeks and it was at the dealer. It all depends on how fast it gets on the ship.
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Yeah mine was quick bout 2 weeks, had taken about 8 months to get to that point but that's another story lol
Pologti17
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 awaiting Gti.

Post by Pologti17 »

8 months?[emoji15] I ordered mine in January! Worth the wait though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ASneakyHippo
New
Drives: 2017 Polo GTI DSG

Post by ASneakyHippo »

Andy4791 wrote:Yeah mine was quick bout 2 weeks, had taken about 8 months to get to that point but that's another story lol
I think we all have the time :)
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Yeah worth the wait. I like it