Retrofitting of Auto leveling headlight system (AFS) for Polo 6R

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Retrofitting of Auto leveling headlight system (AFS) for Polo 6R

Post by iichel »

I cannot guarantee it for your BCM 087H that all will work. I think BCM change is very likely to be necessary. I am sorry.
What I expect, but I am not sure about:
- LEDs will work with brightness adjustment (DRL is high brightness, position lights and low beam is low brightness)
- Cornering lights will work in the headlight, if you want. Then you need to re-wire the fog lights. The cornering lights in bi-xenon headlight is very highly recommended. much more light.
- Low beam xenon will work without a problem
- High beam xenon will work when low beam is on. High beam will not work when low beam is off (DRL or position lights on). You need to check if your BCM has the pin T73a/62 (black BCM connector, pin 62, I cannot see on photo).

So please be patient and wait for ciclo to read the topic. I am not sure about my expectations.
Andrea 6r
Getting There!
Drives: 6r

Post by Andrea 6r »

it all seems clear, but:
1) I did not turning out the lights of fog :cry:
2) I will try to put a new picture to find the pin 62
I thank you your patience and time :mrgreen:

ps a new picture of BCM
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Andrea 6r wrote:hello ciclo, then I do not understand one thing:
why in the diagram you've done is my bcm as compatible?
I tried to help many people with those schemes because I do many tests, never again I'll do this. Out of 100 people who I help only one or two will do reports about the results... and you have to beseech them to do.
People do not want to share, by laziness mainly, or by other circumstances.

By other hand I wondering why people who do modifications in their cars (POLO 6R) do not want to change the BCM when they have all the information available to do so.
IMHO it's the best mod you can do in your 6R, it allows to install the best ORIGINAL equipment available, from factory, or invented (e.g. HBA). Other different thing is to know how to install the best available equipment... with Erwin, Elsawin, Etka, VCDS or alternative diagnostic tools, forums, know to use all this and a bit of luck.

A bit of luck is very important, because all is not written, or it is wrong written. :lol: (many things need updates, permanently, ... logically)

The Polo it is the best car to learn about this electrical and electrónic issues.

The best and only way to get good results with xenon retrofit is to change from BCM high or low to BCM Max. Your beautiful and expensive car from factory is a low range model, but perfect to transform in a high range model with a new BCM. It is the starting point ...
Andrea 6r
Getting There!

Post by Andrea 6r »

that people do not then you know it's almost a scientific law.
I seems to me, if you remember electric mirrors, I tried to find ways to keep up to date
for today I passed your information to some Italian

on BCM
I would avoid change for several reasons:
from the economic (I have seen on ebay which cost a lot);
the amount of work to do (as I understand it is much more the calbaggi for the same which does not seem easy to me);
the consequences that entails (recoding of the same compared with the specifications of my car)
in a nutshell is a great job and if it were possible, maybe even getting a result is not perfect, I would avoid change :roll:

if you and iichel say I can try the "test" Wiring I will be happy to do it and make this evintuali and improvements or additions
you avte I "drove" on AFS then I got there ..
maybe you could do a collaboration like this :D
federicodrdpro
Bronze Member
Drives: White Polo 6R TDI

Post by federicodrdpro »

Hi guys! This thread is very interesting because I think to install the OEM Xenon headlight with the AFS system.
I think Ciclo have reason and I like the discussion about the ordinary people. The results must be public.. different is for the tutorial. Sometimes tutorial are too perfect and full of information that it must be earned :lol: :!:

There are several situations that the BCM is not convenience to change. :idea:

First motivation is the price. It is justified if you can install all retrofit in your Polo. Ok, you can install all retrofit ever.. but if: :arrow:

In my situation, I have a VW Polo 1.2 TDI and I don't have reason to install BCM Max in my car, because the VW Polo diesel cluster don't have the MFA+ and the HBA don't work for example. (MFA+ cluster for Polo 6R diesel don't exist. Yes there is the VW Amarok diesel cluster.. but it is very difficult installation..)

I can install BCM Max only for the OEM Xenon. Yes it is wonderfull, because all is OEM but the solution is very expensive.
In the future, if there are other retrofit with the BCM Max I'll change the BCM with the BCM Max version. But now, if is possible to install AFS without change BCM is a good solution.

I have a 6R0 937 087 K BCM version with the 0251 firmware and I can do tests. :wink:

Thanks Ciclo and iichel for the time you spend on the forum! :!:
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

For Andrea, Federico, Jay-Jay, Sven6r and many others ... about xenon headlights, Bcm Max, automatic lights, light assist, or other equipment.

In the Polo 6R (2009-2014) there are many combinations of electrical installations depending on the year of manufacture and factory equipment. Thus it is impossible to make an installation guide for everyone and it is impossible to provide technical advice without a prior information. Nor is possible to determine whether the wirings that they are for sale in many places are correct for all vw Polo 6R without this prior information.

Necessary information:
Autoscan and images like these.
Image Image Image Image Image

The installation of the bi-xenon headlights in the right way (OEM) is cheaper and easier than other way. The best is that it can be done gradually without involving a drag on your economy. The first thing is to install a BCM Max. (7H0/7E0)

Install BCM Max with its wirings it is not difficult, believe me you can if you want...no need to be an expert. Look for the information on all the links I posted lately.

I can only recommend the best for everyone. I can not provide assistance for different installations from the original, I am truly sorry. (I hope someone can understand this :| )

PS: if you wonder because I do not have for sale the wirings for BCM Max it is because I do not have time right now to give tech support. I can only help here in the forum and my time is very limited.
Andrea 6r
Getting There!

Post by Andrea 6r »

you are very clear, thank you ;)
I have only one question:
if you were able to make them work properly, for example with the French guide, if you wanted to then put the AFS would create problems for me the fact that the link is not like the original?

else, although OT: I sent an email to Mr. Heiko yesterday, for the spinet
but still he sells? :?
iichel

Post by iichel »

The french adapters will make your LEDs flicker, I guarantee. But as long as you connect it correctly, I guess the AFS should work on any BCM.
Andrea 6r
Getting There!

Post by Andrea 6r »

then the connection of the French "solves":
1) of the LED flickering
2) the flashing of headlights that do not go without beam on
and I can still get the AFS?
iichel

Post by iichel »

Andrea 6r wrote:then the connection of the French "solves":
1) of the LED flickering
No the French connection makes your LED flicker
Andrea 6r wrote: 2) the flashing of headlights that do not go without beam on
Probably, yes, the diodes can do the high flash beam. But it puts a lot of strain on the fuse and all the wiring.
Remember, the wiring of high beam is only made for the 50W halogen light, so 4A. Maybe it's not suitable not for the starting powers of the xenon starters, that can be many times higher, up to 10A!
Andrea 6r wrote: and I can still get the AFS?
Yes

But I propose to not mention the xenon adapter from the french anymore. Ciclo was clear: OEM with Max BCM is the best, and I fully support this.
This thread is for the AFS retrofit, not the xenon retrofit.
Andrea 6r
Getting There!

Post by Andrea 6r »

perfect, all clear :D
for xenon adapters speak another topic, no problem ;)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Please, my good friend Andrea think that all it's said above is the best thing for you. You have the original bixenon headlights and want to install the automatic leveling system, so you must buy the BCM Max, worth it (I insist :) ).

Think... some time ago you bought dectane headlights, right?, and you still regrets. The same thing will happen if you don't make a proper installation with your original bixenon headlights (they already installed since 4 years), in fact, it's the reason.

All it's possible if you want it... :wink:
Example: from BCM High 087P to Max 089F + automatic lights, the installation was made by him.

We are here to help you.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Re: R: Retrofitting of Auto leveling headlight system (AFS) for Polo 6R

Post by Jay-Jay »

Hi ciclo,
apologize me if I intrude in this conversation.
Why do you keep saying that replacing the BCM with BCM Max is a cheap and easy operation?
The best price I can find for a BCM Max is not less than 130€, plus I need to spend an incredible amount of time for understanding how to physically replace the BCM, plus the fact that I have the GT-Alarm which will loose its coding by removing the BCM, so I will need to recode it (most probably I will have to pay someone for doing it! Almost 100€!), plus I will need to recode the new BCM (Who can do this? Will I have to pay someone for this?), plus I will have to buy the cable adaptors (about 50-60€) to connect the Bi-Xenon headlights to the new BCM according to your guide.
And all of this just to have the possibility to install the AFS and to have the dimming leds?
I completely understand that this is the only way to obtain a complete installation, but I cannot agree it's worth it, considering not only the money it's necessary to add to the cost of the headlights, maybe as much as the headlights themself (I paid 600€ for the headlights with ballast and bulbs), but also the time to spend for the installation and the coding of BCM, alarm, keys, etc.

Here in Italy (but I guess also all over Europe) it's full of people who installed the OEM Bi-Xenon without changing the BCM: they don't have all the original functions like AFS or dimming leds, but the xenon bulbs work properly as low and high beam and that is what 90% of users essentially want from bi-xenon headlights!

I understand your point of view: you did and keep doing an incredible and free service for everybody, but IMHO I don't think it's right when you say something like "or everything or nothing!". :)

I'm sure there is a middle-way to install these bi-xenon headlights without changing the BCM (lots of people did it! Most probably exactly those who don't want to share their experience on the forums for free).
What I and Andrea are asking you (and to everyone else who would like to share his knowledge) is to help us to find this alternative solution, which satisfies our needs (or at least mine). :)
I'm sure that we can find this way, blending our experience, our knowledge and our tests's results.

Inviato dal mio LG-D802
Andrea 6r
Getting There!

Post by Andrea 6r »

ciclo wrote:Please, my good friend Andrea think that all it's said above is the best thing for you. You have the original bixenon headlights and want to install the automatic leveling system, so you must buy the BCM Max, worth it (I insist :) ).

Think... some time ago you bought dectane headlights, right?, and you still regrets. The same thing will happen if you don't make a proper installation with your original bixenon headlights (they already installed since 4 years), in fact, it's the reason.

All it's possible if you want it... :wink:
Example: from BCM High 087P to Max 089F + automatic lights, the installation was made by him.

We are here to help you.
Hello dear friend ciclo,
I will think before making any rash decisions
for the moment, thanks
ciclo

Re: R: Retrofitting of Auto leveling headlight system (AFS) for Polo 6R

Post by ciclo »

Jay-Jay wrote:Hi ciclo,
apologize me if I intrude in this conversation.
Why do you keep saying that replacing the BCM with BCM Max is a cheap and easy operation?
The best price I can find for a BCM Max is not less than 130€, plus I need to spend an incredible amount of time for understanding how to physically replace the BCM, plus the fact that I have the GT-Alarm which will loose its coding by removing the BCM, so I will need to recode it (most probably I will have to pay someone for doing it! Almost 100€!), plus I will need to recode the new BCM (Who can do this? Will I have to pay someone for this?), plus I will have to buy the cable adaptors (about 50-60€) to connect the Bi-Xenon headlights to the new BCM according to your guide.
And all of this just to have the possibility to install the AFS and to have the dimming leds?
I completely understand that this is the only way to obtain a complete installation, but I cannot agree it's worth it, considering not only the money it's necessary to add to the cost of the headlights, maybe as much as the headlights themself (I paid 600€ for the headlights with ballast and bulbs), but also the time to spend for the installation and the coding of BCM, alarm, keys, etc.

Here in Italy (but I guess also all over Europe) it's full of people who installed the OEM Bi-Xenon without changing the BCM: they don't have all the original functions like AFS or dimming leds, but the xenon bulbs work properly as low and high beam and that is what 90% of users essentially want from bi-xenon headlights!

I understand your point of view: you did and keep doing an incredible and free service for everybody, but IMHO I don't think it's right when you say something like "or everything or nothing!". :)

I'm sure there is a middle-way to install these bi-xenon headlights without changing the BCM (lots of people did it! Most probably exactly those who don't want to share their experience on the forums for free).
What I and Andrea are asking you (and to everyone else who would like to share his knowledge) is to help us to find this alternative solution, which satisfies our needs (or at least mine). :)
I'm sure that we can find this way, blending our experience, our knowledge and our tests's results.

Inviato dal mio LG-D802
Jay-Jay, I don't have a point of view about this, people can think what they want, if you put your bones behind bars then it's your problem. :lol:

But please, can you tell me what part of the next quote it is impossible to understand? (click on images to enlarge)
ciclo wrote:
In the Polo 6R (2009-2014) there are many combinations of electrical installations depending on the year of manufacture and factory equipment. Thus it is impossible to make an installation guide for everyone and it is impossible to provide technical advice without a prior information. Nor is possible to determine whether the wirings that they are for sale in many places are correct for all vw Polo 6R without this prior information.

Necessary information:
Autoscan and images like these.
Image Image Image Image Image

... I can only help here in the forum and my time is very limited.
Either for a installation to mid way, three quarters of the way, or full way. :lol:

Do you think that I like to annoy people asking info? I hate it :lol: ( for obvious reasons ).