Non-adaptive cruise control

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

Non-adaptive cruise control

Post by MczZippy »

So, whilst traveling the 60 odd miles from Norwich to Ipswich, I was playing with the cruise control on my 2016 gti and found the following....

1. Pressing the right silver arrow increases speed by 5mph (which I knew)
2. Pressing the left silver arrow decreases speed by 5mph (which I knew)
3. Pressing RES increases speed by 1mph
4. Pressing SET decreases speed by 1mph

So just in case you didn't know (because I didn't!) 3 and 4 may be of use to you!
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Re: Non-adaptive cruise control

Post by Penarth Blues »

MczZippy wrote:So, whilst traveling the 60 odd miles from Norwich to Ipswich, I was playing with the cruise control on my 2016 gti and found the following....

1. Pressing the right silver arrow increases speed by 5mph (which I knew)
2. Pressing the left silver arrow decreases speed by 5mph (which I knew)
3. Pressing RES increases speed by 1mph
4. Pressing SET decreases speed by 1mph

So just in case you didn't know (because I didn't!) 3 and 4 may be of use to you!
Took me a couple of journeys to figure that out too! It's so counterintuitive its almost criminal...
m0rrthal
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 VW Polo 6C GTI

Post by m0rrthal »

Wow, nice tip!
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

Controls are identical for ACC also.
d7lan
New
Drives: Awaiting delivery of 6C GTI 5dr

Post by d7lan »

Took me 6 months and many frustrating attempts at pressing SET bang on the correct speed before I realised.

The average speed cameras near me are 50, I know that I can sit at 53 so I used to hover around 53 and hit SET. Would never manage it, always landing on 52 or 54. It was a revelation the day I realised what you mention above!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

d7lan wrote:Took me 6 months and many frustrating attempts at pressing SET bang on the correct speed before I realised.

The average speed cameras near me are 50, I know that I can sit at 53 so I used to hover around 53 and hit SET. Would never manage it, always landing on 52 or 54. It was a revelation the day I realised what you mention above!

Always worth checking out the owners manual; outlined on page 178 how to increase/decrease the speed by +/- 5 and 1 mph increments using the steering wheel controls.
d7lan
New
Drives: Awaiting delivery of 6C GTI 5dr

Post by d7lan »

I remember reading the +/- 5mph part, must have skim read the rest!

boydeee
New
Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI PP

Post by boydeee »

[emoji23] The mark 7 Golf with ACC is the same! It was months before I noticed!

MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

Post by MczZippy »

I haven't read the manual...... prob why it took me so long to notice!
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

Do people use cruise control much? I used to have it in my Clio 172 and found I only used it to get decent mpg but it was more of a pain in the ass than anything having to constantly change lanes and such trying to keep at a set speed rather than use the arrows to go up or down on speed (in which case I may as well just use my foot!)

I've only had one occasion when I wished I had it and that was at about 2am in the morning on an empty stretch of the A14. Thoughts?
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

JoeMarano wrote:Do people use cruise control much? I used to have it in my Clio 172 and found I only used it to get decent mpg but it was more of a pain in the ass than anything having to constantly change lanes and such trying to keep at a set speed rather than use the arrows to go up or down on speed (in which case I may as well just use my foot!)

I've only had one occasion when I wished I had it and that was at about 2am in the morning on an empty stretch of the A14. Thoughts?
I must admit to being like you Joe..........I've got it but I just don't use it !
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

I use on my commute. There's a 10mile stretch of the A404 from the M4 to High Wycombe, I just set it to 55 or so.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Rarely use mine for local journeys but if I'm going on a longer journey on A and M roads, then I do use it.

So many more speed cameras appearing, and I find on longer journeys without cruise control it's easy to let your speed to drift upwards!
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

SRGTD wrote:Rarely use mine for local journeys but if I'm going on a longer journey on A and M roads, then I do use it.

So many more speed cameras appearing, and I find on longer journeys without cruise control it's easy to let your speed to drift upwards!
I use cruise whenever I can for exactly this reason - it's too easy to end up going way too fast. I set mine for 72 and just accelerate when I need to go round things and let it drop back to the cruise speed. I find I rarely need to go below this speed using it this way and it also means I don't worry about speed cameras or unmarked cars any more. Much more relaxing. I don't think it does much for fuel economy to be honest as it can work the engine harder than needed in some bits to maintain the speed.

Finally, come April the new speeding fines come into operation: 1/2 a weeks wages for 1 - 10 mph above the limit (so 31 mph in a 30 could cost me way over £500); 1 weeks wages for 11 - 20 mph over the limit, etc. I'm personally really pissed off with yet another attack on the motorist that it is almost impossible to avoid if you drive. Even a saint is going to exceed the speed limits occasionally but now the financial implications are horrendous.

Where I live there are quite a few immediate 20 mph reductions (50 - 30's) which are almost impossible to obey if you don't want another car driving into the back of you. I wonder where they'll put the cameras...
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

I assume they will be scrapping points then too?