Door opened lights won't come on+ headlights always on

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CGreen98
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Door opened lights won't come on+ headlights always on

Post by CGreen98 »

Hi Everyone, my polo has developed a strange problem. When I open the drivers door the interior light doesn't come on, so I have to scrummage around in the dark to find the switch on the roof to see what I am doing. Very annoying especially when it gets dark at 4pm now! Anyone ever had a similar problem? Maybe a fuse?

My other question is when my headlights are in the "0/Off" position they are ON as if I had the switch turned all the way to the right, they only kind of go off when I put them in the side light position. So when I am driving around during the day people flash me to tell me my lights are on! I often look at other polos driving around and they're lights are completely off..? Not normal I am guessing...

Thanks
Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6RPotentialBuyer
Getting There!
Drives: Candy White Polo 6R

Re: Door opened lights won't come on+ headlights always on

Post by 6RPotentialBuyer »

Sounds very odd. Might sound a bit obvious but have you tried putting the switch into the middle setting? There is left which is on (permanently), middle which is when the door opens, and right which is off (permanently).

As for the headlights, they are the same on most Polo's. They are the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), it was made part of EU legislation I think, hence why almost all new cars have them.
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

6RPotentialBuyer wrote:Sounds very odd. Might sound a bit obvious but have you tried putting the switch into the middle setting? There is left which is on (permanently), middle which is when the door opens, and right which is off (permanently).

As for the headlights, they are the same on most Polo's. They are the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), it was made part of EU legislation I think, hence why almost all new cars have them.

Yeah it's in the middle "door" setting, tried everything. The light comes on in the boot but not where I need it in the front :(.

You're probably right about the headlights, although it's a bit strange that "0" is the same as having them properly on as though I was driving at night... and the middle setting is the sidelight/DRL mode... it goes "0-DRL-ON". Not a big problem but the bulbs will burn out quickly.

ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

CGreen98 wrote: ... tried everything. The light comes on in the boot but not where I need it in the front :(.
So it is not a fuse problem.
Does the same thing happen when you open the passenger door?
CGreen98 wrote: Not a big problem but the bulbs will burn out quickly.
That will not happen in normal conditions, so do not worry. :wink:
In any case you must have replacement bulbs somewhere in your car in case of bulb will get burned. (according traffic regulations)
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

ciclo wrote:
CGreen98 wrote: ... tried everything. The light comes on in the boot but not where I need it in the front :(.
So it is not a fuse problem.
Does the same thing happen when you open the passenger door?
CGreen98 wrote: Not a big problem but the bulbs will burn out quickly.
That will not happen in normal conditions, so do not worry. :wink:
In any case you must have replacement bulbs somewhere in your car in case of bulb will get burned. (according traffic regulations)
You do not have to carry spare bulbs by law here in the UK Ciclo,
(still a good idea to keep some though)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

derkie54 wrote: You do not have to carry spare bulbs by law here in the UK Ciclo,
Thank you for warning me about it. I'm surprised by it.

However I am sure there will be a good reason why this rule is not mandatory in the UK.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

ciclo wrote:
derkie54 wrote: You do not have to carry spare bulbs by law here in the UK Ciclo,
Thank you for warning me about it. I'm surprised by it.

However I am sure there will be a good reason why this rule is not mandatory in the UK.
I can't think of any good reason why it is not mandatory in the UK, maybe gives the traffic police more opportunities to apply fines for driving with more than one defective light!
The only sensible reason that I could give is, if EU wants/needs every car to carry a spare bulb kit (a very good idea), first of all EU would need to mandate the fitting of lights that can have their bulbs replaced by anyone at the side of the road without special tools - I think VW group and others are moving slowly towards that way of designing lights. Then all car manufacturers would need to include with the car tool kit, the correct bulb kit for each car - and not just a collection of bulbs, some which will fit even if the wrong type (rear/stop for instance!) and many missing!
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

Yes same thing happens when I open the passenger door... no light. I can live with it and won't bust a gut to get it fixed but might ask the garage to have a look when it has its big service next week.

ciclo

Post by ciclo »

RUM4MO wrote: I can't think of any good reason why it is not mandatory in the UK, maybe gives the traffic police more opportunities to apply fines for driving with more than one defective light!
The only sensible reason that I could give is, if EU wants/needs every car to carry a spare bulb kit (a very good idea), first of all EU would need to mandate the fitting of lights that can have their bulbs replaced by anyone at the side of the road without special tools - I think VW group and others are moving slowly towards that way of designing lights. Then all car manufacturers would need to include with the car tool kit, the correct bulb kit for each car - and not just a collection of bulbs, some which will fit even if the wrong type (rear/stop for instance!) and many missing!
That's the key, you've hit the nail on the head. :wink:
Currently changing a light bulb is not within the reach of all drivers.

(my joke, you know that I am so and I cannot remedy it)... I carry my spare kit in the trunk ...Image... but with the luck that I have I am sure that my xenon headlights get damaged before than any other light bulb. :lol:
CGreen98 wrote:Yes same thing happens when I open the passenger door... no light. I can live with it and won't bust a gut to get it fixed but might ask the garage to have a look when it has its big service next week.
Looks like the bulb has blown. It is very easy to verify. Many pics here
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

Bulb definitely isn't blown as it can still be switched on manually. I think something has either gone wrong with a fuse or the switch/ door mechanism. Doesn't work with both the drivers door and passengers door

ciclo

Post by ciclo »

So:
- It's not the fuse.
- The bulb is not blown.
- They are not the door switches because would be very strange that both of them failed at the same time.

So is a fault from one of the two ground wires for that bulb.

I would check the brown/black wire (contact terminal number 1) in the dome light connector.
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

ciclo wrote:So:
- It's not the fuse.
- The bulb is not blown.
- They are not the door switches because would be very strange that both of them failed at the same time.

So is a fault from one of the two ground wires for that bulb.

I would check the brown/black wire (contact terminal number 1) in the dome light connector.
Thanks for that, yeah it's a really strange problem I know. Sure it's something very simple that's gone wrong through! Il look at what you've mentioned there tomorrow in the light, and if I can't do it will ask the garage to have a look while it's being serviced.

ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Ok.
In case the cable is right the fault could be in circuit of the dome light housing.

In any case the workshop/garage will solve it easily. :wink:
Please tell us what the problem was when it is fixed.
CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

ciclo wrote:Ok.
In case the cable is right the fault could be in circuit of the dome light housing.

In any case the workshop/garage will solve it easily. :wink:
Please tell us what the problem was when it is fixed.
Will do! Thanks :)

CGreen98
Getting There!

Post by CGreen98 »

Here we go, have no idea what it means but sounds like more than a bulb to me!