MFD

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
stretts
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

MFD

Post by stretts »

Random MFD!! My 2016 polo GTI has been parked on the drive for the last week. When I looked out of the window earlier on I noticed that the time was being displayed on the MFD in my car. I unlocked the car started the engine then locked it again, I then ensured both doors + boot where all closed correctly. Half an hour later the time was on again for around 20 seconds then went off again. Any ideas????
jb182
New
Drives: Bluegt 2015

Re: MFD

Post by jb182 »

If your close by to a dealer, I'd have them check for any software updates. Back in September / October there was a recall for the Body control module software. I'm not saying that's 100% what it is but it does sound software related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stretts
New

Post by stretts »

Booked into the dealers next week :roll:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I always make sure that the "radio" is switched off before locking up the car, but I must say, if you end up sitting in the car for an extended period waiting for wife etc, the dashboard display does a quick "stupid thing" which if the BCM software was doing what it should, it would not do! I do understand that the radio by default will switch off after maybe 20 or 30 minutes as in any car though. So maybe time to get BCM software checked and updated if need be - reason for that is, my daughter has a late 2009, bought new in November 2009, it has a nasty habit of discharging its battery over the period of 7>10 days, so can not be left any longer than that is you expect it to be able to start! Now this behaviour did not show up until I started looking after this car for her while she is working abroad, eventually I asked my local SEAT dealer to check it over and update the BCM software if necessary - they said that the clock spring/steering angle sensor under the steering wheel was causing this so replaced it, that cost one hour tech diagnosis + assembly + one hour tech to replace and program new assembly > two months later it started draining the battery again that is if it was ever sorted, I checked things seemed okay but I could see a steady 0.17Amp drain, which I could reduce to 0.005Amps by removing/refitting a power lead - but then later the asleep controllers were waking back up and drawing 0.17Amp so draining the battery, by now the first SEAT dealer was closing and the site was being redeveloped for quality housing, but I booked it in and they found nothing wrong with the car - again refusing to discuss checking BCM software for update!! A few weeks ago I handed it into the next closest SEAT dealer whose service person mentioned checking for BCM software updates - music to my ears, so I booked it in, came to collect it and found that they could not find any BCM software update for that car of that age - another hour of tech diagnosis! But they did say that they had raised a "Technical Inquiry" with SEAT and expected an answer within 48 hours. Anyway, after not getting any comms from dealer I went back in and yes SEAT does have an update for BCM for that age of car, so I was asked to book it back it - so that means another hour of tech time!! The point that I am trying to make here is, if you think that your car needs a software update, get it booked in sooner than later as it seems that the diagnostics tools that VAG dealers use, only store info on available software for "current" cars, if you leave it too long you are going to have to pay more for the dealer contacting SEAT and getting info on what to look for as far as update references are concerned!!! In my case instead of it being free or at worst £99, it is now costing £99 + £146(parts) + £99 to add to this latest £99 + £99 - it all adds up!! (looks a bit like £543 and lots of toing and froing!)

Edit:- sorry for ranting on about this, but do not believe the glib comments about "your VW dealer will check for updates each time your car is in the workshop etc" - that simply is not happening as it would take too long and time is money, what the service booking in person will do is check your car for safety critical corrections, any or all other updates will only happen if you complain/report problems that when stuffed into the VW knowledge resource get a fix returned to your dealer!
stretts
New

Post by stretts »

The car had its first service mid November the software update was done at the same time (so they say). Thanks for your advice and the time taken to reply :D
Jessesam
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by Jessesam »

When a car goes into dealer it is checked for outstanding campaigns which include software updates but it's not routine to do updates unless there is a specific customer complaint as there are to many systems to check on modern cars
stretts
New

Post by stretts »

Update team took my car into the dealers today. They said that the problem was caused by the trip reset button sticking. They replaced the instrument panel and had to recode the keys. All seems well now 8) . Top tip keep an eye on yours if your trip reset button sticks :D
arow
New
Drives: 2015 Polo Gti

Post by arow »

Just came across the forum whilst googling this issue! So.. Hi!

I also have this issue, and yes looks like my trip reset button is sticking too. Strangely I'm thinking VW have broken it as the issue started after VW recalling my car for a software update a couple of weeks ago.

(I had my turbo replaced late November and then they called me back in as there had been a software update for the turbo replacement problem - I had already had a previous update though)

Out of interest stretts - did you have any other electrical problems? I seem to have wiper issues where they are intermittently changing speed - so when I'm driving faster i.e 50+ the wipers are slowing right down. And also the same with my fan/heater - faster I go it slows down, and when I slow down it goes up to full speed! :roll:
stretts
New

Post by stretts »

No more problems with the car. All seems to be working correctly atm :D