Recently bought 1.2L TDi Bluestream with minor issues to address

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
MarkyMark82
New
Drives: 2013 TDi Bluestream 1.2L

Recently bought 1.2L TDi Bluestream with minor issues to address

Post by MarkyMark82 »

Hi Polo community,

I've just bought myself a 2013 Bluestream, reg FT13 EHE from a trade seller for a very good price (high miles, some scrapes and fag-burned interior taken into account) and I only have a 21-day warranty with him.
Overall I love it but have some initial concerns. Mainly that it's just passed an MoT yet I have a dud washer pump on my front window. Using the previous threads on this forum I've concluded it is not the fuse, although it is clear that the fuse has been replaced as the plastic mold is different to the others.

Question 1: Can you recommend anywhere in the Buckinghamshire area where I can get it checked over to see what, if anything, is wrong with it, and then take these issues up with the seller before my 21 day warranty expires. Perhaps best to take into Volkswagon, although I don't fancy paying VW prices much...
Question 2: Average MPG. Could anyone who drives a 1.2L TDi Bluestream let me know what they are averaging. I was hoping to meet the advertised fuel economy - Urban - 67.3, Ex-Urban -91.1, Average 80.7
I've been driving it gently along a mixture of dual carriageways and country roads and have averaged just 49.8 mpg. I have the low rolling resistance tyres and it's recently been serviced but I feel like i'm a long way off the average, and this makes me wonder if there is an issue somewhere making it less economical than I expected.
Question 3: Where is a reliable place to buy the part I need, a washer pump for the front. I found these online at around £20. Someone recommended GSF but they don't appear to stock this part
Question 4: Could I fit this part myself, and in doing so is it likely i'll knacker something in the computer? My fear is I'll upset the ECU if the procedure that VW techies take when replacing one of these is not followed.

Any feedback is appreciated, and please let me know if you need any details.

Many thanks,

Mark
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Recently bought 1.2L TDi Bluestream with minor issues to address

Post by alexperkins »

Working front wipers that wash the screen are an MOT requirement so I don't quite get how it's just passed an MOT if that's faulty

It's down to the seller to resolve as this should be working

I used to get around 55mpg in my bluemotion. Most was low 60s but that's very rare. The figures are mainly hype
MarkyMark82
New

Post by MarkyMark82 »

Thanks Alex,

Sure - it should have been tested and would have failed based on the washer not working. There is a small chance it packed up in the 3 or 4 weeks since the test although i find that unlikely. Still regret not testing this on the day, as I probably wouldn't have bought it before this was put right.

I'd prefer for the seller to put it right. He did say he would but i'd need to take it back to him and be without it for however long it takes. I don't feel that I could fit a replacement myself as I can't even locate it, and would likely need to remove other components to gain access.

Update on Q1 - I've arranged for VW to perform their free health check, turns out it needs to go in due to the emissions scandal anyway. Once this has been done i'll have (hopefully a short) list of things that require attention.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I would say to VW you dont think its working, get them to quote for the work, and ask the seller to cover the cost.

Its a five minute job to swap it, but the pump is located on the washer bottle which is hidden behind the bumper.
MarkyMark82
New

Post by MarkyMark82 »

Great news,

As the seller suggested - I asked VW to do it whilst it was in for the emissions recall and they did the work FOC, and also gave me new wiper blades.

I would recommend to anyone that has work due surrounding the recall to ask for similar favours, as they can and likely will do it for free. As the service lady put it to me, they were dishonest to VW customers and so to get the customers back on their side they are doing some work as a good will gesture. only stipulation is that it needs to be done on the same occasion as the recall work.

All my questions have resolved themselves thanks to help and bit of luck
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

i heard many people get a CHF 100 refund here in switzerland after the update
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Glad you got it sorted Mark :)
CGreen98
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Post by CGreen98 »

I have the 1.6tdi 90 and claimed average is 67ish, I can rarely get 50mpg after a 45 mile day on normal country roads barely touching the accelerator and if I go over 50mph the mpg drops dramatically. My average is approximately 46mpg when I do use the accelerator! Mind you I am on winter tyres at the moment which i am sure affects it quite a bit.

Unfortunately I think the emissions wasn't the only thing they lied about, also the mpg [emoji31]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk