Fitting an Aftermarket Armrest to 2016 GTi

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Fitting an Aftermarket Armrest to 2016 GTi

Post by hjgtiger »

Just finished fitting an armrest to my Dec 2016 GTI DSG and very happy with the result. If I had ordered a factory build I would have specified and armrest but got a good deal on a pre-built car.
I obtained masses of info & help from a few other sites and from '2015_polo' on this forum.
The armrest I bought was (Ref1)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 4be7653b34

The main advice came from (REf2)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo ... ation.html
and (Ref3)
http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/ ... h_armrest/

There are quite a few armrests from AliExpress but the supplier I chose had good reviews (assuming they were real) but was far from the cheapest. It arrived within 5 days via DHL and was well packaged.

The fitting is a little involved as detailed in Ref2 where it is necessary to remove a lot of trim & console bits to enable lifting the rear end of the centre console to get the main alloy mount in position. I bought a cheap set of 'plastic trim prying tools' from eBay which made the job a lot easier and avoids damage/scratches.

This pic shows why so much has to be removed/loosened - the casting is sitting on top of the console afetr cuphlder removed

Ref2 shows that after removing most of the trim bits 2 horizontal screws holding the console. Mine did not have those screws fitted - I assume that this was intentional as there were no metal 'tags' for the screws to screw into.

So this is the finished result

Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Re: Fitting an Aftermarket Armrest to 2016 GTi

Post by Bigtam »

Looks very good and matches you interior nicely
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

I think it would be difficult to tell it is not OEM if you just got into th car.
2015_polo
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 6c polo

Post by 2015_polo »

hjgtiger wrote:I think it would be difficult to tell it is not OEM if you just got into th car.
Looks brilliant mate nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

Very good guide and the arm rest suits a DSG.
I find it gets in the way of changing gears with my manual and I'm considering taking it off .......... a lot of thing to take apart by the looks of it, I might wait for the better weather :?
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

derkie54 wrote:Very good guide and the arm rest suits a DSG.
I find it gets in the way of changing gears with my manual and I'm considering taking it off .......... a lot of thing to take apart by the looks of it, I might wait for the better weather :?
It's not as bad as it would appear. Don't forget that if you remove yours you'll need to fit a rear cupholder to cover the 'hole' left.