Uk legal blue style bulbs? 2010 1.6 tdi

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Shaunkaeo9
New
Drives: 2010 1.6 TDI (stage 2)

Uk legal blue style bulbs? 2010 1.6 tdi

Post by Shaunkaeo9 »

Looking for some help. If any of you guys could send me a link to somewhere i could purchase the bulbs that look blue but are EU legal i'd appreciate it! I believe phillips do good ones but cant tell which ones are legal and which arent. My headlights are the standard 6r headlights from 2009
MichaelGallagher
New
Drives: 2010 6R 1.2 Petrol

Re: Uk legal blue style bulbs? 2010 1.6 tdi

Post by MichaelGallagher »

Pretty sure all blue lights of any kind are illegal.

Edit- Here's the regulation ---> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... on/16/made

However if you look at section 11 it just says "11.—(1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front" nothing about blue..
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

The prohibition is covered in the section pertaining to emergency vehicles. Legal use of blue lights is limited to them only.
Shaunkaeo9
New
Drives: 2010 1.6 TDI (stage 2)

Post by Shaunkaeo9 »

I just meant the very bright lights that almost emit a tiny blue tint. Seen a good few cars with them, who knows maybe they're illegal lol. Something like this? https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/cool ... oCddLw_wcB
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

if they are really bright they are going to be retro-fit xenon which i believe are illegal

normal filament lamps with a blue coating will be a lot dimmer than un-coated lamps

go for the top of the line lamp from one of the big manufacturers.
nopixar
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match 6C

Post by nopixar »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-COOL-INT ... B005Q0F9PA

That is as "blue" as you can get legally with a Halogen bulb its more true white similar to that of a HID bulb. Colour Temp is measured in Kelvin (3200k is a OEM bulb and 6000k would be an LED bulb, the blue tinge you talk about) BUT....any Halogen bulb over 4200K is illegal. Note on halogen bulbs when increasing Kelvin you reduce light output. These bulbs have an increased light output to make up for the drop in Kelvin as such have a shorter lifespan than OEM bulbs. Ive used them before, very crisp bright white light. Not blue but very far away from that horrid yellow, but close as you can get legally.