Blue gt vs gtd??

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Andyroo
New
Drives: Blue gt

Blue gt vs gtd??

Post by Andyroo »

Hi all, new here, first post!
So basically I need help choosing my next car. I currently have a 5 door blue gt with nav, parking sensors, convenience pack and tinted rear glass.
I'm moving further away from work in the summer and was veering towards a diesel to save some cash. Pretty much 100 motorway miles a day.
Here's the million dollar question ; is there any difference between a blue gt and a gtd performance and economy wise?? Normally a gtd would cost a shed load more than a blue gt, but with the faceliffted golf due out, I've been quoted a massive 6 grand off a gtd from stock.
My second option is to just get another blue gt but with 3 doors instead of 5. (good discounts on those at the moment too!)
So, stick with what I've got, get a gtd or get a new gt????
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Blue gt vs gtd??

Post by RUM4MO »

Seeing as you have asked the question, and included Golf in your list of options, why not take a look at a similar Leon - either the Golf or Leon can only be better for a longer commute as they are a size up from the Polo so will be "better" to drive over that usage?

Edit:- only other issue could be being brave/silly enough to take on a new diesel engined car when EU governments are trying to stamp them out of existence through taxing etc!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I can't comment on how a mk7 Golf GTD compares to a Polo Blue GT but I did own a mk6 Golf GTD for nearly 5 years. On the economy front with a mixture of around 30% town and short journeys / 70% longer, mainly A-road driving, I used to get low 40's mpg during the winter months and mid-upper 40's mpg during the warmer months. This compares to around 40 mpg that I get in my Polo GTI. Performance in the GTD was good and I really enjoyed the low down torque of the diesel engine, meaning it wasn't necessary to change down to overtake or keep up with the flow of the traffic.

The main reasons I sold my Golf was it was a) coming up to 5 years old b) I wasn't doing the mileage to warrant using a diesel and c), as RUM4MO has pointed out, governments are looking as diesels much less favourably now than they were 2-3 years ago. Therefore, higher taxation and making some areas of cities and large towns into no-go areas for diesels looks highly likely.

If you are doing 100 miles a day then I agree with RUM4MO; a Golf-sized car makes longer journeys more comfortable. With production of the facelift Golf due to start soon, there should be some really good deals to be had on the pre-facelift model, provided you can find a stock vehicle with the spec you want as order books for the pre-facelift model closed towards the end of last year.

Have you considered the Golf with 1.4 ACT engine that you've got in your current Polo Blue GT? Although the Golf is a larger, heavier car, I don't think it's underpowered with the 1.4 ACT engine, and economy should be OK too.
Andyroo
New

Post by Andyroo »

Considered a Leon, but with the current discounts it seemed pointless.
The point about diesels possibly being phased out might be the main point. It would indeed be brave to buy one at the minute unless on finance.
A golf gt is definitely a good shout! The 1.4 act is an awesome engine but not sure I could go for something slower and less economical than what I've got (even if it is only slightly)
Comfort isn't an issue for me, in fact I don't want a car that's too smooth. Don't want to be falling asleep on the m6 after a 12 hour night shift!!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I would not think that you would find the Leon too smooth, I suggested it as it will probably be lighter than an equivalent Golf so probably slightly quicker and certainly firmer suspension, I'd also think that there is more to a Golf/Leon than being "smoother" - being longer wider and heavier is more suited to motorway tramping. Polo/Ibiza have their place but more in shorter commutes, don't get me wrong, I could drive my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL on long fast journeys, but I'd feel better about using my S4 on these longer faster journeys.

Horses for courses I'd reckon. The main reason that I ruled out the Ibiza 1.2TSI 110 FR when replacing her car was that you don't see many middle aged ladies driving Ibizas - again horses for courses!
Andyroo
New

Post by Andyroo »

Had a wander round the Seat dealer today, I think I like the Leon :)
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

RUM4MO wrote:I would not think that you would find the Leon too smooth, I suggested it as it will probably be lighter than an equivalent Golf so probably slightly quicker and certainly firmer suspension, I'd also think that there is more to a Golf/Leon than being "smoother" - being longer wider and heavier is more suited to motorway tramping. Polo/Ibiza have their place but more in shorter commutes, don't get me wrong, I could drive my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL on long fast journeys, but I'd feel better about using my S4 on these longer faster journeys.

Horses for courses I'd reckon. The main reason that I ruled out the Ibiza 1.2TSI 110 FR when replacing her car was that you don't see many middle aged ladies driving Ibizas - again horses for courses!
Drove my Polo GTi over 1000 miles around the UK on a road trip - bloody awesome! :D

I've still got a Civic GT-S Diesel and have had a Volvo S60, both of which would be considered better cruisers but I honestly can't say I noticed any difference in things like wind movement, presence on the road, etc. What I did notice was an average of 45 mpg in the GTi on these runs was about the same as I am getting out of the Civic diesel and a damn site better than the 32mpg from the 180bhp S60...

The ONLY things I don't like about the GTi are the stereo (crap) and the wing mirrors (as much use as a chocolate teapot really) - otherwise it must be almost the perfect ICE car. I'm waiting for a proper Petrol/Electric hybrid version of the Polo GTi for my next car. Something that did about 60 miles on an electric charge and 0-60 in <6 secs would be perfect...
Andyroo
New

Post by Andyroo »

You might get a plug in hybrid in September when the new model comes out!
If it's electrical power then I need more than 60 miles, a tesla would be very nice indeed :lol:
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

Sod electric load of s**t.
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

JoeMarano wrote:Sod electric load of s**t.
In their current guise I agree they aren't brilliant other than perhaps the Tesla (never driven one), but at about a fifth of the cost per mile for my daily commute makes much more sense - provided we're still allowed to drive into cities soon...
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Post by JoeMarano »

The reason I'm against them is more than just sounding s**t it's because there's nothing for me to get excited about.

When they are the same cost as the equivalent petrol car, offer the same performance and economy and are as quick to fuel and have the same range as a normal petrol then I might sit up and take notice. Can't see that happening for more than 20 years...battery technology is pretty much at the same level it's always been and I can't see that changing soon either.

At the moment there is precisely no interest from me apart from I saw an electric car beat a fast petrol car on top gear once which was interesting but it cost a fortune, still took ages to charge and had next to no range.