Clock display powering up after engine switch off

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Zebra
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 TSI SE 5 door - Pure White

Clock display powering up after engine switch off

Post by Zebra »

Hello and Good Morning

I am new to the forum, having found you whilst looking into an issue I have with my Polo.

Basically, the clock and mileage display (between the speedo and rev counter) are lighting up whilst the car is locked or unlocked but with engine off.

You can lock the car, wait five minutes and the clock and mileage light up for a minute before going off. Then in another five minutes they light up again for a minute and go off. This is repeated until you get in the car and drive it.

The car has a full service history and has had the latest software update from VW.

Has anyone come across an issue like this before?
Thanks in advance.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Clock display powering up after engine switch off

Post by RUM4MO »

I have no idea about this, but when you say that that car has the latest VW software update - I would take that with a pinch of salt!

What I am guessing that you mean is, that that car has been in for a service and as part of that the car is checked for software updates - in my experience, what happens is, when that car arrives that the main dealer for a service, as the service receptionist books the car in they cross check that reg number for any safety related updates, if none that car is considered to be up to date software wise - but, there just might be a large bundle of software updates/patches available for that car if the customer complains about some individual issues with that car!

How do I know this can happen? Well I've been there done that with a late 2002 Polo 9N and failed for about the last 8 years of that car's life with us to get my VW dealer to accept that that car had some outstanding issues due entirely to engine controller software (well documented elsewhere completely irrelevant spurious fault codes being generated). Same thing with a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4, only just managed to get a second SEAT dealer to get the correct fix from SEAT UK - battery drain problem, this month, very boring and annoying " we check update software when the car is in" - no!
Zebra
New

Post by Zebra »

Sorry to hear about how you have been treated by the dealers and thank you for your reply.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

it appears that something is waking your car up all the time.
did you fit any (aftermarket or VW OEM) modules, like radios, parking sensors or whatever?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Zebra, forum member stretts had a similar problem to yours; caused by a sticking trip reset button.

Link to thread; viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69280
Zebra
New

Post by Zebra »

iichel:

Thanks for your reply. The car is totally standard and nothing has been added to it.

SRGTD:

Thank you also for your reply and the link. I will investigate that and see if it is sticking. Will let everyone know.
Zebra
New

Re: Clock display powering up after engine switch off - an update

Post by Zebra »

SRGTD

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the information.

You were completely spot on. The trip counter button had been pushed in too far and was stuck against the other button.

I have carefully sprayed around it with lube and manage to get it to pop out and get level with the other button. Not sure if it is broken or not.

I've been watching to see if the clock etc lit up for 25 mins or more and it hasn't.

Many thanks for your help - you have saved me a trip to the dealer, a day off work and concern that something serious was a miss.

Thank you.