Creaking From Rear Suspension

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Creaking From Rear Suspension

Post by Gee40 »

I picked up my 6c GTI in mid Dec - 3 months old with 50 miles on the clock. I noticed a very slight squeak at low speeds and a creaking from the rear suspension so booked the car in at my local dealer.

They diagnosed corrosion on the rear brakes causing the squeak and "slipped" bump stops causing the creaking suggesting driving over speed bumps may have caused it. I want bore everyone with the issues around who paid for the work but to cut a long storey short the squeak is fixed but the suspension creak is worse if anything. If I sit on the boot edge and stand up I can hear the creak as the suspension unloads (weighing 12 stone I don't think its me). I'm far from convinced about the bump stops as the creak re occurred almost as soon as I left the dealership.

Has anyone had the same issues and if so what was the cause

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Creaking From Rear Suspension

Post by RUM4MO »

Just one idea or thing to check, is this not just the rear disc brakes - next time, after a run, stop on level ground without putting the handbrake on and repeat that "sit on, get up" from the rear lip. Then report back so as to remove the brakes from the list of possibilities. If it is just the rear discs moving very slightly, then you need to apply the hand brake slightly more.

Edit:- "bump stops" seem like a bit of a "fob off" story unless the design is crap and can cause that.
MrSteve46
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by MrSteve46 »

I had this on my 6R Gti not long ago and after reading up on it many had problems with the shock absorber top mount, so I changed both of them +bump stops as they were deteriorated but that didn't cure the creaking. then I decided to swap the shocks either side and low and behold the creaking had changed to the other side so fitted a pair of new shocks and the creaking stopped.
Gee40
Bronze Member

Post by Gee40 »

Thanks chaps. Its booked in with the supplying dealer for a week. Its definitely not a brake issue as the problem occurs on the move and/or with the suspension under load including on the flat and only in the dry. I suspect its shock absorber related
hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

Gee40 wrote:Thanks chaps. Its booked in with the supplying dealer for a week. Its definitely not a brake issue as the problem occurs on the move and/or with the suspension under load including on the flat and only in the dry. I suspect its shock absorber related
If it only happens in the dry it is a rubber bush somewhere. Try squirting with water spray one at a time. If/when you find the culprit WD40 sometimes quietens them
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

hjgtiger wrote:
Gee40 wrote:Thanks chaps. Its booked in with the supplying dealer for a week. Its definitely not a brake issue as the problem occurs on the move and/or with the suspension under load including on the flat and only in the dry. I suspect its shock absorber related
If it only happens in the dry it is a rubber bush somewhere. Try squirting with water spray one at a time. If/when you find the culprit WD40 sometimes quietens them
Ouch, maybe a quick fix, but a long term potential problem, WD-40 is just Castor oil and some other stuff - it was not intended to be used as a lubricant for synthetic rubber parts!
hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

RUM4MO wrote:
hjgtiger wrote:
Ouch, maybe a quick fix, but a long term potential problem, WD-40 is just Castor oil and some other stuff - it was not intended to be used as a lubricant for synthetic rubber parts!
So use the water spray to identify then change the bush.
Gee40
Bronze Member

Post by Gee40 »

Looks like the problem has been solved after a week at the supplying dealer in Rotherham. According to JCT600 the original diagnosis from VW Stockport of bump stops having "slipped" was right, but there fix of simply re aligning them didn't work. JCT Rotherham tried re aligning them again, took the car for a test drive and within half a mile the creaking from the rear suspension had returned. Back at the workshop and the bump stops had "slipped" again. To Fix this they have replaced the bump stops and top mounts which I'm told has fixed the problem.

I pick it up today so we shall see
breedaa
New
Drives: GTI

Post by breedaa »

Interesting!

I picked up my new GTI in Nov 16 and have noticed this noise too. Its been to the dealer 3 times and they keep saying they are unable to find a fault. They also claim they cant hear any noise. I'll be booking the car back in and pointing them in the direction of this forum 8)

I seem to notice the noise most, when in low speeds, in reverse & manovering to/from a space - dealer tried to say it was just the wheels rubbing, and thats expected. My answer to this was even when the wheels are straight?

Will post back on how I get on...
Micpwelsh
New
Drives: 1.2 tsi sel

Post by Micpwelsh »

Anyone found a cure ? My polo is doing the same :(