Polo 1.4 upgrade to bluegt worth it?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Polo 1.4 upgrade to bluegt worth it?

Post by vc-10 »

I didn't think the 1.4 85PS as used in the 6r was direct injected? I thought it was just a regular port-injection engine, and it basically was a slightly more powerful update of the old 1.4 that's been around for eons (9n at least, maybe even 6n2?). Always made me laugh that Seat used to advertise those 'special edition' Ibizas with the 1.4 for not much money as having 'latest engine technology', while the 1.2 TSI was also on sale in the same model! Direct injection systems cost more to implement than the old-school port injection systems, which is why that engine was used on those cheap Ibizas. I think that's why the 1.4 FSI from the 9n was dropped- it cost a fair bit more to buy, so people didn't buy them.

IIRC the 3.0 supercharged V6 had TFSI written on the engine cover.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't say categorically, but I'm sure that the 1.4FSI 16V 80PS engine that was in the Polo 9N Sport was just a variant of the BBY/BBZ indirect, or manifold injection (or multi point injection) engines.

There were 3 variants, the 75PS, the 80PS(FSI) and the 100PS - the 80/85PS was FSI technology and was the only one to get the fancy "new method of manufacture" camshaft. I will have binned all my VW brochures from that time, so I can't check back on that - but it was a short lived engine version, it quickly became the normal 85PS when the 75PS was dropped, and probably the 100PS. A 1.6 16V 105PS appeared for a short time, though I for one wished that it had been in that range all along, that engine would have helped out sales quite a bit I'd reckon as not everyone wanted to go down the TDI route just to get a bit more power in a Polo! The only problem would be that the 1.6 16V 105PS was an old Golf engine and so probably not up to the latest emissions regs.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Yup I'm 99% sure you're right- I think the 85PS FSI lasted very shortly after the change to the 9n2 and was probably dropped by the end of 2005, being replaced by the standard port injection 85PS variant that lasted in Polos until the 6c came along with the 90PS 1.2 I have in my Fabia!

The engine lineup in Polos in the UK hasn't made much sense for a while- the Fabia had the 85PS 1.2 TSI from around 2011, which would have been a good addition to the range back then with the 6r, and it still has the 1.2 TSI 90 while the Ibiza gets the 95PS 1.0 TSI from the Bluemotion. Why the 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI were never offered with stop/start in the 6r didn't make sense to me either, especially as the Polo got those engines on the continent. The other issue of course is having to step up to the SEL or R-Line to get the higher power outputs. Can't help thinking that the 1.0 TSI 110PS would sell much better in the Match that it does in the SEL.
aniseedvan
Getting There!

Post by aniseedvan »

I can't comment about the upgrade as I went from a Peugeot 207 Gti to the Polo.
I had the ACT go within the warranty period and the car was off the road a good few months whilst it was sourced from the factory. The dealer have been OK as dealer's go.

That said since then (touch wood) it's ran fine. It's a good car for me - I do a fair number of miles (52k in just under 3.5 yrs), with probably a 70/30 split of motorways and B roads depending on which office I'm going to. My average consumption is ~45mpg across all that time - I run winter tyres half the year so see a dip from them (I'm sad and have logged all my petrol in an app). I can easily see the trip computer reporting 60mpg on motorways in the summer, but that's only half the story...

I'm going to see if the dealer will spring me out of my PCP early to pop into a new one before the road tax changes in April. If not, I suspect I'll be running this for a good couple more years at least. First time in driving 25+ years I've ever considered that...