Polo 1.4 upgrade to bluegt worth it?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bevii3
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Polo 1.4 upgrade to bluegt worth it?

Post by Bevii3 »

Apologies if there is another section for this.
Currently I have a polo 1.4 match, but am looking for something with a bit more poke too it, gti's that are showing up at the local vw garages all seem to be dsg and 3 door and slightly more expensive. So i'm looking at the blue gt as a used one with 28k on the clock has popped up for sale in my budget and has the 5 doors i'm after. I believe there is a 140ps model and 150ps, this one is 140.
My question is, is it really worth it for me to upgrade to the blue gt?
Thanks in advance
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Polo 1.4 upgrade to bluegt worth it?

Post by ciclo »

Welcome.

I think it is worth it. 6R BlueGT 140ps is an Excellent car. :wink:
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

ciclo wrote:Welcome.

I think it is worth it. 6R BlueGT 140ps is an Excellent car. :wink:
I couldn't agree more.
I have had mine for 3 years now. Still love it every day :D :D
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by DKPOLOGT »

The 140 and 150 PS, put put the exact same power when put on A dyno.
Just for info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Moving up from a 1.4 16V 86PS 6R Polo to a 6R/6C 1.4 Blue GT - absolutely worth it, I moved my wife up from a 1.4 16V 75PS 9N Polo to a 1.2TSI 110PS SEL Polo 6R/6C and she was very happy indeed, her previous car to the 1.4 16V 75PS Polo was a 1.6 16V 95PS Fiesta - I made a major mess-up replacing that Fiesta with the 75PS Polo - but the Polo had electric rear windows, an electric sunroof, auto air con, cruise control, rain sensing wipers/auto dipping rear view mirror and alloy wheels - which proved to be no substitute for the missing power!

Edit:- to be honest, I missed out getting her a Blue GT mainly because I thought that she did not need it - and maybe I was a bit worried about the Active Cylinder Control when the car got a bit old, though it has to be said that when I spec'd her 1.4 16V 75PS Polo, I deliberately avoided the slightly higher powered 1.4FSI 16V 85PS engine, though that technology seemed to work okay, it was the hollow camshafts that get the lobes slide on then the camshaft's hollow void hydraulically pressurised to lock them in place that worried me. Though, most of the FSI technology has been binned very quietly - even though Audi pretend that their TSI engines are TFSI !
jb182
New
Drives: Bluegt 2015

Post by jb182 »

Couldn't agree more with the above, I went from a 1.4 SEL to a BlueGT still brings a smile to my face everyday. I also find that I save money on fuel due to the ACT and better economy. If you've got the option go for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

FSI is VW's brand name for direct injection- the exact same tech tech that's in the current TSIs!

FSI is Fuel Stratified Injection. This is direct injection where the fuel charge is not necessarily homogeneous- it can be specifically placed in only part of the cylinder so that the engine can run 'lean' without issue. The wiki page gives a good explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratified_charge_engine

TSI and TFSI are just turbocharged FSIs. Although some of the Audi engines are actually supercharged FSIs, but I think SFSI is a bit of an awkward acronym so they stuck with TFSI.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

Hi,
Just wondering whether you bought the GT and if so how do you like it?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

vc-10 wrote:FSI is VW's brand name for direct injection- the exact same tech tech that's in the current TSIs!

FSI is Fuel Stratified Injection. This is direct injection where the fuel charge is not necessarily homogeneous- it can be specifically placed in only part of the cylinder so that the engine can run 'lean' without issue. The wiki page gives a good explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratified_charge_engine

TSI and TFSI are just turbocharged FSIs. Although some of the Audi engines are actually supercharged FSIs, but I think SFSI is a bit of an awkward acronym so they stuck with TFSI.
I think that you will find that "T" in German speak just means charged/pressurised, which is why they call the turbo charged engines TFSI and the supercharged engines are just T with no mention of any FSI. There was also some inlet variable ducting included in the original FSI and that is the part that was dumped at the first engine revisions.

Maybe, one day I'll swop the "3.0T" badges for "Supercharged" - on my car, which was what Audi USA fitted to some special versions of the S4 and included silver looking side ribs in place of the usual body coloured ones, to match the mirror covers!
mr messy
New

Post by mr messy »

Yea well worth it i have had 2 polo GT now the old 140bhp and now the 150bhp from new with good kit on bord as was factory order. Cheep tax 20 quid loads of poke. U can quite easy out drag many cars if needed.
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

RUM4MO wrote:I think that you will find that "T" in German speak just means charged/pressurised, which is why they call the turbo charged engines TFSI and the supercharged engines are just T with no mention of any FSI. There was also some inlet variable ducting included in the original FSI and that is the part that was dumped at the first engine revisions.

Maybe, one day I'll swop the "3.0T" badges for "Supercharged" - on my car, which was what Audi USA fitted to some special versions of the S4 and included silver looking side ribs in place of the usual body coloured ones, to match the mirror covers!
Yeah I barely speak any German! I know the supercharged 3.0 was branded TFSI, it makes a lot more sense to know that the T stands for 'charged' in German.

Variable intake ducting was presumably dropped to enable the turbocharging. I know the newer Mazda engines with variable intake manifolds are tuned so you get a slight charged effect, but I believe there's no point doing anything like that if you have a turbo or supercharger, as the effect is small in comparison to the boost provided by a proper turbo.

This video is a good explainer on how variable intakes work!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYIHQGU00k[/youtube]
Bevii3
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Post by Bevii3 »

Hi all, sorrry for being slow getting back to you all. Had some login issues since making this post. I haven't yet got the car as im still thinking things over. Ive just had 4 new tyres, full service and mot on my current polo, so thats quite a bit of money im not going to get back on an exchange. ive also been told my cambelt is due in may, so im debating whether I should still get another car and if I did it would have to be before thats done as I cant bare to spend anymore money on this car aha.
But thanks for all replies, it looks a lovely car. The other thing that plays on my mind is going from a polo to another polo. and is it really upgrading?
vc-10
Silver Member

Post by vc-10 »

Do you need the space of anything different though? I personally wouldn't need any more space than my Fabia, but a better specced one (or a Polo :lol: ) with more power would definitely be an upgrade.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Bevii3 wrote:Hi all, sorrry for being slow getting back to you all. Had some login issues since making this post. I haven't yet got the car as im still thinking things over. Ive just had 4 new tyres, full service and mot on my current polo, so thats quite a bit of money im not going to get back on an exchange. ive also been told my cambelt is due in may, so im debating whether I should still get another car and if I did it would have to be before thats done as I cant bare to spend anymore money on this car aha.
But thanks for all replies, it looks a lovely car. The other thing that plays on my mind is going from a polo to another polo. and is it really upgrading?

So, if you are currently running a 6R Polo 1.4 Match, why not absorb/use some of that money you chucked into that car and aim to get a newish used one from the next model range that is due out soon. If you are running a 9N3 Polo 1.4 Match, maybe do the same thing but aim for a newish 6C Polo with a modern engine in it? (Edit:- after the model change has been completed)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

vc-10 wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:I think that you will find that "T" in German speak just means charged/pressurised, which is why they call the turbo charged engines TFSI and the supercharged engines are just T with no mention of any FSI. There was also some inlet variable ducting included in the original FSI and that is the part that was dumped at the first engine revisions.

Yeah I barely speak any German! I know the supercharged 3.0 was branded TFSI, it makes a lot more sense to know that the T stands for 'charged' in German.

Variable intake ducting was presumably dropped to enable the turbocharging. I know the newer Mazda engines with variable intake manifolds are tuned so you get a slight charged effect, but I believe there's no point doing anything like that if you have a turbo or supercharger, as the effect is small in comparison to the boost provided by a proper turbo.

This video is a good explainer on how variable intakes work!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYIHQGU00k[/youtube]
The dropping of some of the bits that I was meaning (I think) was the latest version of the 1.4 16V 86PS engines, they were previously named FSI but after a revision some bits disappeared and they lost the FSI name. I need to have a look under the bonnet of my S4 to see if there is any mention of TFSI - I didn't think there was, though the media, especially in USA still use that term in connection to that supercharged engine.