Polo R Line 1.0tsi First Service

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Garrardrj
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 tsi R Line

Polo R Line 1.0tsi First Service

Post by Garrardrj »

So our car is due its first service in a couple of weeks. Don't expect there is much to it other than a change of oil. But any advice suggestions welcome.
I am also thinking of not having it done at our local VW garage and am thinking of the local Skoda garage. Don't think there will be any issues with the service but would the Skoda garage as its VW group be able to perform any warranty work etc ?
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Re: Polo R Line 1.0tsi First Service

Post by derkie54 »

Is the Skoda garage a lot cheaper......If not why bother.
Jessesam
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by Jessesam »

A Skoda Dealer would not be able to carry out any warranty work as all diagnostic equipment is brand inhibited. They also would not be able to reset your service indicator
onepointfourbeast
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6R

Post by onepointfourbeast »

From my dealings with the VAG group they are all franchised in the UK VW is for certain all warranty claims go through a third party company so they may be able to complete warranty work

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
onepointfourbeast
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6R

Post by onepointfourbeast »

Can't say for the service indicator

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Jessesam
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by Jessesam »

I work in a VW dealer and can assure you they can not do warranty work
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

derkie54 wrote:Is the Skoda garage a lot cheaper......If not why bother.
I'd think that is the correct answer, why make life harder than it needs to be, are Skoda using many of these 1.0TSI engines yet?
Garrardrj
New

Post by Garrardrj »

The reason to choose Skoda is that it is 2 miles from our home. The local VW Ipswich are poor and the next nearest VW is over 20-25 miles away. We travelled 90 miles to get this car as VW Wolsey Ipswich couldn't be bothered to contact us even after i told them exactly what we were after , New R Line Polo and GTI/R Golf !
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The Octavia has the new 1.0 TSI.

It's worth a phone call to the Skoda garage. If they're cheaper and they can do what you need, then what's the problem? It's still VW parts, as a basic 1st service is really just an oil and filter change.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Assume the OP doesn't have a service plan, otherwise why go to the Skoda dealer and pay for a service that's either free if VW were offering this as part of finance deal (if you took finance) or you're already paying for a service plan by monthly direct debit?

To the OP: just a few points to consider;
  • - The service team are completely separate from the sales operation, and your poor experience with the sales team at VW Wolsey Ipswich doesn't necessarily mean the service team will be the same.
    - I'm sure that a Skoda dealer can undertake the basic oil change service and use VW approved parts (and you have an invoice showing this) to keep your warranty intact. However, it'll almost certainly be easier to get any warranty work you might need doing in future approved by VW if you've had your car serviced by them.
    - Do you have personal experience of your local Skoda dealer to know they will provide you with better customer service than the service team at VW Wolsey Ipswich?
    - If you do need warranty work undertaken at some point, you'll have to take your car to a VW dealership anyway as the Skoda dealer won't be able to do this, so you'll have the same dilemma of using VW Wolsey Ipswich or making the 20-25 mile trip to the next nearest VW dealer.
    - If you sell your car within the next 2-3 years, the next buyer might expect to see a VW stamp in the service book for a 'nearly new' used VW.
    - If you got your car under a PCP, is there a requirement for it to be serviced by VW for the duration of the agreement?
Garrardrj
New

Post by Garrardrj »

SRGTD wrote:Assume the OP doesn't have a service plan, otherwise why go to the Skoda dealer and pay for a service that's either free if VW were offering this as part of finance deal (if you took finance) or you're already paying for a service plan by monthly direct debit?

To the OP: just a few points to consider;
  • - The service team are completely separate from the sales operation, and your poor experience with the sales team at VW Wolsey Ipswich doesn't necessarily mean the service team will be the same.
    - I'm sure that a Skoda dealer can undertake the basic oil change service and use VW approved parts (and you have an invoice showing this) to keep your warranty intact. However, it'll almost certainly be easier to get any warranty work you might need doing in future approved by VW if you've had your car serviced by them.
    - Do you have personal experience of your local Skoda dealer to know they will provide you with better customer service than the service team at VW Wolsey Ipswich?
    - If you do need warranty work undertaken at some point, you'll have to take your car to a VW dealership anyway as the Skoda dealer won't be able to do this, so you'll have the same dilemma of using VW Wolsey Ipswich or making the 20-25 mile trip to the next nearest VW dealer.
    - If you sell your car within the next 2-3 years, the next buyer might expect to see a VW stamp in the service book for a 'nearly new' used VW.
    - If you got your car under a PCP, is there a requirement for it to be serviced by VW for the duration of the agreement?
Thanks for your input.....Car bought with cash, car will be kept for about 8-10 years dependant on its reliability etc. No service pack bought when buying.

I have had several VW's and they have all gone through VW Wolsey for service etc, the main reason is that it is such a b@stard place to get to ! We will probably get it done by Wolsey but it is only because there is little alternative.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

buy your own oil

made my first service of the gti £69 plus the £35 i paid for my oil(castrol edge)

opie oils is where i got it from and will do again.

think vw were going to charge in the order of £80-90 for the oil
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Dink wrote:buy your own oil

made my first service of the gti £69 plus the £35 i paid for my oil(castrol edge)

opie oils is where i got it from and will do again.

think vw were going to charge in the order of £80-90 for the oil
That is the bit that annoys me, the "£80-90 for oil that we can buy for £35" - there is greed, and there is "acceptable markup or profit" - considering that VW dealers will be buying that same oil in at around £10 for the quantity that that engine uses - where else are traders allowed to take 700%>800% profit for goods sold on?

All dealers of any marques I have used are exactly the same, well especially Ford - though maybe not quite to the level that VW group do this theft or owner's money - the disposal of the old oil is factored in elsewhere, this "£80-90" is purely for the supply of new oil.

Now that my Audi S4 is due its "6 year service" - I've bought in my own oil from Opie Oils and if Audi will not play the game, I'll be doing my own service, I don't mind paying a bit more to get the main dealer to do this work, but there is a limit to what I'm willing to let them off with!
Garrardrj
New

Post by Garrardrj »

What oil does the 1.0tsi use ? I am NOT paying £80/90 for oil from them. What quantity do i need ?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Garrardrj wrote:What oil does the 1.0tsi use ? I am NOT paying £80/90 for oil from them. What quantity do i need ?
I'm guessing a bit here, but, all modern VW petrol engines tend to use the same engine oil - as that makes life safer at dealership workshops, well maybe with the exception of some higher powered variants like V6 and 1.8T/2.0T.(I'm probably wrong there as my 3.0TFSI Supercharged S4 also uses normal oils - R8 and some others will demand different oils though)

So that means 5W-30 or 5W-40 to the correct VAG 50? spec, there will also be 0W-30 and 0W-40 but if you are keeping that car for 8>10 then overall reliability will be more important than MPG.

Maybe have a look on the Opie website as I'd think that it will quote one weight of oil for longlife servicing and another for fixed/annual servicing, again if you are keeping that car for 8>10 years and running up to 10K a year then fixed/annual servicing should be what you pick.

Personally, I use Mobil One 5W-30 ESP on all my cars - get it from Opie Oils, and buy genuine VW group oil filters where cheapest ahead of time, which normally means an on-line VW main dealer.