BlueGT New owner questions

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Re: BlueGT New owner questions

Post by PoloBlueGT »

Hi mate,
What tyres are currently on the car? I have a 2014 BlueGT with Dunlop Sport Maxx and I don't seem to hear any excessive road noise from the rear tyres. As regards the rattling from the front I assume if it is the washer units then thy have been taken out and installed incorrectly as they are quite a snug fit.
Cheers
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Plumpton, welcome to the forum.

You'll naturally compare your Polo to your previous car, and factors such as different brand of rear tyres and how worn they are and different levels of sound insulation in the car will influence the noise levels entering the cabin. Another factor could be the liners in the rear wheel arches. If your previous car had fibrous 'carpet'-type rear wheel arch liners, these do help to deaden road noise. The Polo has hard plastic liners in the rear arches that will provide less insulation from road noise than the 'carpet' liners.

Maybe a silly question, but have you removed the rear parcel shelf from your Polo? On the odd occasion I've removed mine, significantly more road noise enters the cabin compared to when it's in place.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres are quite quiet tyres with a noise level rating of 68db. I've got Continentsl Sport Contacts on my GTI and they're rated at 72db (so noisier than your Dunlop's) and I don't find them to be too noisy.

Interior rattles are annoying and difficult to pinpoint, especially when you're driving. I'd be surprised though if the rattling you're experiencing inside the cabin is from the windscreen washer jets; as PoloBlueGT has said, they're a snug fit. Suggest you go for a drive with a passenger who can then try to identify where the rattling is coming from and apply force to various pieces of trim to see if it stops. Some owners have found that the sun visors can vibrate/rattle and the noise sounds as if it's coming form somewhere else!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Enjoy your car Plumpton. I've had my Polo GTI almost a year and still enjoy driving it as much now as I did when I first got it!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

If it was a choice between a Blue GT and a GTI with the 1.4 twingcharger engine, I think you've made a wise choice as the 1.4 twin charger engine (especially the early version) in the 6r GTI isn't without its problems.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69411
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

The 1.4 ACT unit in the Blue GT is a different engine and I've not read of any issues with it.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I've owned my car from brand new and the engine hasn't missed a beat. Although after 3 blissful years I'm now starting to think I need more power :D I've had a K&N air filter since I serviced it first time but I am going to have a stainless exhaust, induction kit and REVO remap which should be fun :mrgreen: apart from that just a slight debased get etc pressed plates. Might look into some new led style lights, any opinions?
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Post by Robby71 »

plumpton wrote:I think that was my findings too.

I had a turbo charge petrol engine in the 90's and had to allow time for it to cool down before switching off the engine.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of that in the user guide for this engine.

Do you chaps have any tips for newbies like me? Any things to check, any tweaks any must haves?

When i had my Polo GT i found parts from other VAG models were a straight fit/ upgrade
You can fit the alloy pedals from a MK7 Golf GTi, the tailpipe trims from a Skoda and the top engine cover from a Euro Golf TSi - these are all straight fits with no mods required :)

I have an engine cover (inc bracket) and tailpipe trims for sale - on car for 1 week before it was sold - £30 posted for all