Body Roll

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
winglun8
New
Drives: POLO 6R (1.2 Match Edition)

Body Roll

Post by winglun8 »

Anybody who's got a standard Polo 6R like myself should understand the slight frustration of body roll :?
I'm not a boy racer, but when it comes to those odd situations and you need to corner hard...well in my opinion this is the best product for the car!

Today, I installed the "Whiteline Rear Anti Roll Bar" and I thought to myself, why doesn't all cars have these pre-installed!?
In contrast, I feel there is defintely great improvement in terms of handling, and its worth every penny for it.

What do you guys think? I had a choice between lowering springs and the anti-roll bar, and with the budget I had at the time and to not sacrifice comfort too much, I think I made the right choice...

Key Feature and Benefits:
More grip = better handling = outright performance - it's the best pound for pound handling improvement you can make to your vehicle. This Whiteline adjustable sway bar allows its rate to be altered by increasing or reducing the length of the lever arms. This permits the roll stiffness to be tuned for different situations without replacing the entire bar. The stiffer the bar, the more force required to move the left and right wheels relative to each other. This increases the amount of force required to make the body roll

Cornering loads are spread more evenly across the tyres delivering more grip and frankly, that's what it's all about. You also get improved tyre wear as your tyres stay flatter and more upright. Comfort improves because your car sits flatter through bends meaning less movement inside the vehicle. Whiteline swaybars are manufactured using the finest grade spring steel. They are powder coated and supplied with high performance polyurethane mounting bushes in a DIY kit form, ready to simply bolt on.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-bran ... r-audi-a1/
Last edited by winglun8 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Body Roll

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that you will find that VW group, like all other mass car manufacturer, has designed these cars to be set-up for safe handling, you have now removed some of that by adding that rear ARB, now I think that the front of the car will probably give you a very big fright when it snaps away, so maybe you need to do something about the front ARB to match that stiffened up rear one, remember the rear suspension already has an ARB or at least a torsion device - which is the rear beam.

I hope that you have informed your insurance company as they will probably ignore any claims if you do end up in a ditch and they find that fitted.

Edit:- please note that I am not "knocking" these devices, just making you aware of what might happen if you are not too lucky - my wife did have a Fiesta with a rear ARB, but Ford designed it with that in mind so it also had a beefed up front ARB to retain safe handling.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I can echo that. I've been modifying cars for over fifty years and have found that any advantage you get is balanced by a disadvantage.

A stiffer rear end and a reduction in roll may make the car feel more sporty but might make it much more tricky on the limit. Having said that anybody who goes to the limit on the road is stupid so you are unlikely to be affected. Where you may well notice a difference is in traction on cross camber or loose surface, the application of full power whilst cornering may be compromised.

I'm not trying to preach or put you off, clearly you enjoy the modification and that's what playing with cars is all about, if it suits your driving style that's a double bonus.

If you contemplate track days or motor sport start gently and gradually build up speed, that way you will learn about any vices and how to drive around them. Keep in mind the possibility of having to make adjustments to the front end at some time.

Enjoy your mods, your enthusiasm is refreshing, it reminds me of myself before I became old and cynical
winglun8
New

Post by winglun8 »

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your words! :idea:
I feel the ride comfort hasn't changed significantly, and that's a bonus for me because I drive over 40+ miles to work.
My car is only a 1.2 60bhp MATCH EDT, with no modification to its performance, so its not gonna fly really haha.
Don't worry, I'm young but not a wreckless driver, I know the consequences.

Ricmondo wrote:I can echo that. I've been modifying cars for over fifty years and have found that any advantage you get is balanced by a disadvantage.

A stiffer rear end and a reduction in roll may make the car feel more sporty but might make it much more tricky on the limit. Having said that anybody who goes to the limit on the road is stupid so you are unlikely to be affected. Where you may well notice a difference is in traction on cross camber or loose surface, the application of full power whilst cornering may be compromised.

I'm not trying to preach or put you off, clearly you enjoy the modification and that's what playing with cars is all about, if it suits your driving style that's a double bonus.

If you contemplate track days or motor sport start gently and gradually build up speed, that way you will learn about any vices and how to drive around them. Keep in mind the possibility of having to make adjustments to the front end at some time.

Enjoy your mods, your enthusiasm is refreshing, it reminds me of myself before I became old and cynical
luke.ocana
New

Post by luke.ocana »

off topic but what headlight bulbs do you have?
winglun8
New

Post by winglun8 »

luke.ocana wrote:off topic but what headlight bulbs do you have?
I installed HIDS Lights 6000K (35W) from a friend.
Previously, I installed "Philips Diamond Vision H7" but it wasn't bright enough or practical for me :(
CODmental
New
Drives: VW POLO GTI 6R 2011

Post by CODmental »

winglun8 wrote:
Previously, I installed "Philips Diamond Vision H7" but it wasn't bright enough or practical for me :(
Why weren't they practical ? What about in town with well lit roads ? What was the issue with diamond visions?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

winglun8
New

Post by winglun8 »

Diamond vision are good bulbs in comparison to what is out there in the market, and does have a cool white colour on the road. When you look at videos or images online they do replicate HID lights, but in person it is a different matter. The light output is poor, and the spread of light is sacrificed unfortunately comparing to standard halogen bulbs.

They're fine in lit roads in city, but when you're driving long distances or narrow roads then these are not practical at all. If you want to actually see where you are going, then these bulbs are not for you. That’s why I opted for HID lights which for me is practical.

CODmental wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:51 am
winglun8 wrote:
Why weren't they practical ? What about in town with well lit roads ? What was the issue with diamond visions?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Alibaba
New
Drives: Polo 6R Match Edition

Post by Alibaba »

I have Polo 6R 1.2 TSI Match early 2017 edition. I too noticed a bit of body roll when cornering say above 40mph. You tend to get used to it but definitely unnerving. When I first noticed it on motorway I panicked as I was doing over 60mph approaching a bendy exit. Since that I prepare myself carefully. I haven't tried this without ESC and not sure whether it's worth it..I'm a fairly new driver so try to avoid too much tinkering.
I love everything about the Polo including the quieter cabin than some basic 2018 Polo. I noticed more road noise on my courtesy car when having a Helix subwoofer fitted. The Turbo certainly helps in tricky situations. Ride comfort is better than similar cars. All I have to do is just be gentle with the clutch and gearstick to make it last!