Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Myk
New
Drives: Polo

Re: Head unit change

Post by Myk »

iichel wrote:RNS315 has an option for BT and DAB
RNS310 does not

To keep it as simple and OEM as possible I've decided on the RNS315. This should work completely with the car (including the bluetooth built in and satnav).

So I need to buy a new aerial (dab version) and GPS antenna. The GPS antenna shouldnt be an issue but could anyone advise what needs changing for a DAB aerial?

Does anyone have a link?

Thanks!
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

Myk
New
Drives: Polo

Post by Myk »

I've just got home (work away).

How do I know if I have the aerial in the window? Can't see anything that looks like an aerial.....
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

It is located behind the trim in the back window.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

Hi just a quick question. I am looking at buying an RCD 510 DAB to replace my current head unit but the seller does not have the radio code? Is this something that can be gotten quite easily? How does it work? Thanks
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Yes.

The correct way to get the code is through any VW dealer, with the identification number of that unit.
The identification number is written on labels sticked to the unit.
eg

The seller can do this before selling the unit. Easier impossible (for you). :lol:

In the user manual (specific for any VW headunit) it's explained how to enter the code.
Bodge
New
Drives: 2011 Polo 1.4 SE 5dr

Post by Bodge »

Willni wrote:RNS 310 comes with bluetooth and dab, you'd need a dab aerial dunno about placement though you might get away with it in the dash like the sat nav
I have the standard RCD310 in my 2011 Polo and the DAB aerial is stuck to the windscreen in the top LH corner (in the unswept area). I assume that's the standard location and it was fitted by VW. Works well.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Bodge wrote:
Willni wrote:RNS 310 comes with bluetooth and dab, you'd need a dab aerial dunno about placement though you might get away with it in the dash like the sat nav
I have the standard RCD310 in my 2011 Polo and the DAB aerial is stuck to the windscreen in the top LH corner (in the unswept area). I assume that's the standard location and it was fitted by VW. Works well.
no the standard location, from factory, is in the roof aerial itself. this was retrofitted.
Hemens1
New
Drives: 2010 VW Polo SE

Post by Hemens1 »

Hey, not sure if this thread is dead but wondering if anyone can help me out. I installed the stereo out of my dads 2017 transporter into my 2010 polo using a converter i bought on ebay due to the difference in quad locks. All was working great for around a week until i received an error "component protection activated" i took it to the dealership to get this removed (as i read online dealers could do this) but the radio it self does not appear on the VW dealer software. Anyone know if this is to do with the way in installed the radio? from whati understand it should all be connected 100% correct considering it had been working for around a week with no issues before this happend.

Might be too off topic from the original thread - but hope someone can help me
Dishwasher
New
Drives: 2010 6R S

Post by Dishwasher »

That sucks pal, component protection is a pain. I swapped in an RCD310, and came up against the same thing. It's probably after a security code - you can buy these on ebay for like £5. You just have to give the ebay seller some info on your stereo, and they'll get back to you with a security code that will work for it.

If that doesn't work, next step might be disabling the component protection through VCDS, which is a bit of a pain.