Fuel Mileage

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nopixar
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match 6C

Fuel Mileage

Post by nopixar »

Hi guys so I have a 2016 DSG Polo Match 1.2TSI...lovely car to drive and I'm very happy with it. Fuel consumption isn't far off what Id expect, cars done 1,300 miles... I've always used Shell V-Power 95RON petrol exclusively since I bought its 3 months ago...On a full tank the endurance is always 310 miles (thats filled to the click)..Interestingly enough after many recommendations because the better additives in the fuel and cleaner burn (performance and fuel economy would be negligible) decided to fill up on the premium V-Power Nitro plus rated at 99RON from the light came on. Now on a full tank the endurance has gone down to 295 miles. Not really sure whats going on? I know car computers are hit and miss when it comes to precise figures, but where did the other 15 miles disappear to? Was always under the impression that higher octane fuel would increase fuel economy not reduce it, even if it was marginal. Any ideas why the cars changed it mind on how far a full tank will last?
kieran.smith
New

Re: Fuel Mileage

Post by kieran.smith »

The fuel mileage is calculated from the average MPG the trip computer is showing (I think anyway), so if you've done a lower then usual journey you appear to have less mileage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record I have a 1.4 Petrol and always full up to the top, I usually get 330 miles. I actually took the time to check how accurate this was last week and it was near spot on. I had done 315 miles as I pulled into this petrol station with 20 miles left in the tank.
nopixar
New

Post by nopixar »

kieran.smith wrote:The fuel mileage is calculated from the average MPG the trip computer is showing (I think anyway), so if you've done a lower then usual journey you appear to have less mileage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record I have a 1.4 Petrol and always full up to the top, I usually get 330 miles. I actually took the time to check how accurate this was last week and it was near spot on. I had done 315 miles as I pulled into this petrol station with 20 miles left in the tank.
I would think not as ive filled up many times on 95 and every time was 310 miles even though the average MPG has never been the same. Thanks for your input though is that with a 45 litre tank on your 1.4?
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

The car does predict the distance to emptt based on current driving style. You may notice that it can go up, down or remain static for periods of time. The car does not know that you've changed petrol quality, but there are some theories that higher octane fuel can run less efficiently in these "non-performance" engines as they are optimised for lower quality fuel. I'm not sure how reliable that information is, though. That's not to say that the additives are not beneficial for longevity of your engine.

For the record I get about 450 miles out of 41-42 litres. 48mpg on average calculated, from a 1.0tsi
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Other factors that could affect fuel consumption from one tankful of fuel to another are (not an exhaustive list - there may be other factors);
  • -journey types; the OP hasn't said whether or not the driving was undertaken on the same route for both the lower and higher octane fuels.
    - driving style.
    - time of day driven and traffic density.
    - weather conditions.
    - ambient temperature.
    - number of passengers in the car.
    - use of electrical components such as air con, lights, rear window de-mister etc.
Grey
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Post by Grey »

Iirc the Tank size is the same on all polo's. As for your fuel change and fuel use I would be using Vpower or Momentum every fill up to notice a difference not just once occasionally not saying that you are but from what I'm reading you have used it once? As said many other factors to consider with your use of fuel tyres/pressures being another. Also Shell regular is 95Ron Vpower is 99Ron. :)
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

not sure about lighting and fuel mileage.

One side on a 6C halogen:
Dipped beam 50W
High beam 50W
Parking lights: 5W front 16W rear
Fogs front: 35W
Rear fog: 21W
Indicator: 21W front 21W rear 5W mirror
The interior illumination is a bit hard to estimate to be honest.

Total of 50 + 50 + 5 + 16 + 35 + 21 + 21 + 21 + 5 = 225W per side, 450W both sides.

One litre of fuel holds 33.7 MJ. So on a litre, you could run all lights (assuming 30% thermal efficiency) 22500 seconds = roughly 6.5 hours.

just saying :p
nopixar
New

Post by nopixar »

SRGTD wrote:Other factors that could affect fuel consumption from one tankful of fuel to another are (not an exhaustive list - there may be other factors);
  • -journey types; the OP hasn't said whether or not the driving was undertaken on the same route for both the lower and higher octane fuels.
    - driving style.
    - time of day driven and traffic density.
    - weather conditions.
    - ambient temperature.
    - number of passengers in the car.
    - use of electrical components such as air con, lights, rear window de-mister etc.
-Same routes
-Driving normally
-Weather conditions in London, mixture of rain and clouds for past 3 months tiny bit of snow
-Temps have been from 0-10C
-No passengers
-Ive used the heater almost always and rear demister these times so there was a load on the engine

All of the above gave me 310 miles. Its warmed up since so no longer need the heater etc, temps have been 11-15C higher than before, would have thought an increase in fuel economy would be on the cards? Not a decrease. Its not big deal but was curious.
nopixar
New

Post by nopixar »

Grey wrote:Iirc the Tank size is the same on all polo's. As for your fuel change and fuel use I would be using Vpower or Momentum every fill up to notice a difference not just once occasionally not saying that you are but from what I'm reading you have used it once? As said many other factors to consider with your use of fuel tyres/pressures being another. Also Shell regular is 95Ron Vpower is 99Ron. :)

Yeah this is the first tank of Nitro plus before was regular shell unleaded. Not checked my tyres but will have a look, thanks for that. And I know the RON ratings that what I typed :)
nopixar
New

Post by nopixar »

Just to follow on 3rd tank of nitro+ range is up to 335 miles the highest yet since getting the car. During this period there was quite a bit of spirited driving including sports mode so I cant really see how the car takes driving style into that calculation as it should be less not more. Either way, happy the the car has settled and seems to like the 99RON more [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

From your initial post in this discussion thread, I'm assuming you either bought the car new or nearly new with a very low mileage, initially, the engine would have been tight. Fuel consumption will improve as you do more miles and the engine loosens up.