2016 TDI Polo

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gelatoateleven
New
Drives: 16 plate TDI

2016 TDI Polo

Post by Gelatoateleven »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm also completely new to VW although several family members swear by them so I took the plunge.

I just have a few queries.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased direct from VW a 2016 TDI 1.4 five door polo. It was a demo car from the dealer so low mileage and they obviously wanted to sell ready for the 17 plate demos that were due to arrive.

Two things I've noticed that I just wondered if they were normal;

1. When I turn the car off I notice a sound of running liquid my partner thinks it's just the fuel pump shutting off - I have only noticed this on very short journeys I.e moving the car off the drive to park in the street etc. I don't notice the noise when I've been doing my usual long drives. Have checked under the hood and the sound can't be heard from there just when your sat behind the wheel. Ive also checked the ground where the car has been and there's no patches of liquid left behind.

2. When using the media centre USB facility with my iPod sometimes it plays fine no problems and then other times it will get half way through the song and then just turn into white noise and then just stops working all together.

My car is due to go back in for my spare key to be programmed to the car and I have already mentioned about the USB system to the dealership which they said they will check for me when it goes in.

Just looking for any advice prior to it going in, incase I should bring anything else to their attention.

Many Thanks

:)
Atlanntas
New
Drives: 6R (Mk5) 1199cc TDI

Re: 2016 TDI Polo

Post by Atlanntas »

Congratulations on your buy. I hope you will enjoy your Polo. Now onto the questions.

I drive a 2011 6R 1199cc BM daily. Indeed on short journeys (or even in the case of just running the engine for a few seconds) the fuel pump will run for a second or two after the car is already off. I have had a fuel pump fault where it would make a weird high pitched noise while running, that's how I know. As for the liquid sound - maybe you do have a leak, or the air hasn't been bled from the lines properly.

You won't likely hear the liquid noise if you have a leak in the engine compartment, unless you have outstanding hearing. The main symptom would be a lack of torque. Other than that, perhaps some haze and maybe a fire, I suppose, in extreme circumstances! But really you needn't be primarily looking for the problem under the bonnet.

As for your second point, it's a fault, that's clear as day. The dealership might want you to demonstrate it, maybe get it on video or get an audio recording of it happening, that's probably the only advice someone here could give you.

Cheers.
Gelatoateleven
New
Drives: 16 plate TDI

Post by Gelatoateleven »

Hi!

Thank you so much for the reply it's much appreciated.

I think it is just the fuel pump shutting off but I'll attempt to try and record that noise also incase neither of the faults appear when the car goes in for inspection.

:)
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

Hi there,

I also have a 2016 1.4 TDi and also get the sound of running liquid if I come to a stop. Nothing to worry about.

I use the Bluetooth with my phone, not the USB so can't advise there!
CGreen98
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Post by CGreen98 »

Welcome to the VW club! I have the old version of your engine (1.6 TDI) and it makes the same noise, Nothing to worry about I don't think. Shame to hear about the Aux in your car, I was hoping they would fix it on the newer models as it's awful in my car (2011) it's so temperamental and normally takes 5 minutes of fiddling before it blasts into life!

Another thing maybe to watch out for is the DPF or EGR getting clogged up with soot, a really common problem in the old 1.6's if you do a lot of trips around town and dont let the engine get warmed up (my EGR went last year and cost £800 to replace). But maybe they fixed this with the new 1.4 engine?

Good choice in car though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

CGreen98 wrote:Welcome to the VW club! I have the old version of your engine (1.6 TDI) and it makes the same noise, Nothing to worry about I don't think. Shame to hear about the Aux in your car, I was hoping they would fix it on the newer models as it's awful in my car (2011) it's so temperamental and normally takes 5 minutes of fiddling before it blasts into life!

Another thing maybe to watch out for is the DPF or EGR getting clogged up with soot, a really common problem in the old 1.6's if you do a lot of trips around town and dont let the engine get warmed up (my EGR went last year and cost £800 to replace). But maybe they fixed this with the new 1.4 engine?

Good choice in car though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even with my 20mile A-road commute each way I still notice the DPF doing active regens. Rough idle, poorer MPG, noisy fans. I wouldn't recommend this engine at all for town-only driving as it seems it's far too small to get to temperature effectively on shorter trips.

And with the (in my opinion) better petrol engines, the 1.4 TDi shouldn't even be a consideration unless you're commuting long distance