Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Windscreen Mould

Post by skymera »

Hi guys,

I've noticed this cleaning my car just now
http://i.imgur.com/jvC1HeM.jpg

Is this mould from a poor seal ?
I got the car new in March 2016. Is this normal or worth chasing with VW for repair ?
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Re: Windscreen Mould

Post by d-ash »

I've seen that on one of my VWs before. Not an issue as long as it stays confined to the edge.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Agree with plumpton, it looks as if the layers in the screen are delaminating, due to a manufacturing defect.

As your car is under warranty, I'd bring it to the attention of your dealer, and they should replace it. Windscreen/glass breakage after 600 miles/1 month is excluded under the warranty, but not delamination of the layers due to manufacturing faults.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

On a secondhand car maybe 8 years old that is acceptable - on a nearly new car, that is VW's problem to sort out ASAP!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

the plastic they use as the laminate film is hygroscopic

so that is only going to get worse if you don't get vw to sort it
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

Car is booked in on the 4th April. We'll see what they say.
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

VW confirmed today a new windscreen is needed. They can't confirm a date but it will take 2-3 days to fit once it arrives.
I'm not sure how to feel. It seems a big job with a big risk of damaging paint work / dashboard when removing the old one?

I swapped my 16 plate R Line TDi this morning for a 66 plate 1.2 TSi with DSG 7 speed. It's actually nice to drive. Not sure if the 90PS model or not
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

Why 2 to 3 days? Autoglass can replace a windscreen in an hour
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

d-ash wrote:Why 2 to 3 days? Autoglass can replace a windscreen in an hour
Yes but I do not think it is always the same quality as the OEM?
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I had a windscreen replaced via Autoglass at the end of last year.

The first fitter turned up with some aftermarket windscreen, which fitted horribly. Thankfully he wasn't satisfied with it himself, and made an order for an OEM windscreen via a local dealership.

Not sure why VW would say it needs 2-3 days to replace, however. Half the time they end up using companies like Autoglass to do it anyway, and the whole process takes under an hour!
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

Booked in for the 20th. I think the 2-3 days gives them a window for the fitters to arrive and for "the resin to set".

I indeed expect this to be OEM glass with all VW markings. If not, they're ripping it out and fitting another :lol:

I took the DSG Polo back this morn. Overall, it was okay. I didn't see the value of the £1,800-ish extra it would have cost me for DSG.
Average MPG (mid 40's), can be jerky pulling away and it seemed reluctant to change down to overtake, and by the time it did, the opportunity was gone.
Although once going it was incredibly smooth and the semi auto mode was hella fun to use!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I'm a great fan of DSG. All the manual cars I've owned are more than reluctant to change down to overtake, in fact they won't, you have to do it yourself. Same goes for DSG, if you decide to overtake and need to change down then do it manually, the car can only measure inputs and outputs not guess what you want it to do. The great advantage of DSG is that the change down will be much faster than you or I can manage.
BlueGT White
New
Drives: BlueGT

Post by BlueGT White »

I've got a 65 plate polo bluegt I've noticed my windscreen has the marking on it underneath the wiper blades should I take the car back to the dealer didn't realise that they would repair under warrenty ??
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If it's delaminating in the same way that skymera's screen was, then it's likely to be due to a manufacturing defect. So yes, take it back. It should be replaced under warranty.
skymera
Getting There!

Post by skymera »

Car is in the for windscreen today / tomorrow.
I enquired about possible damage to the paint (A pillars etc) but VW seemed certain there was no risk. It's not AutoGlass that do it either.

My courtesy car is a 2017 Polo 1.2 TSi 5s speed manual with just 100 miles on the clock.
I kinda hoped it would be the 1.0 as I've yet to drive one. This 1.2 certainly has more poke than the other 1.2s I've driven for sure.