Problem with the brand new Polo Match

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DamnRian
New
Drives: VW Polo Match

Re: Problem with the brand new Polo Match

Post by DamnRian »

RUM4MO wrote:
d-ash wrote:Could the noise be coming from the DSG box?

I wouldn't mention that you can hear the noise in the loan car. That would be VW's cue to suggest that what you're hearing is normal and to dismiss any claim for a replacement.
I'd agree with that thought, maybe after your car is fixed/replaced tell the dealer that as a parting comment?

To the OP, I would not expect that the dealer would try to fob you off with that loaner car or any other used car, unless you were pushing for an upgrade and were willing to take a used R-Line GT off them, though as you are dealing directly with VW on this matter, maybe they will control which option is open to you.
Ah, believe it or not the one I gave the car to (not the original dealership) told me "you can get a replacement or walk out with the one we're giving you now" which is a 3.5k miles and pretty rough conditions being a 66 plate due to it being a rental. I said no and I reported the replacement issue to the person who I bought it from and he said he's going straight for a replacement.

I wouldn't mind a used GT as long as it's a 66 plate, however, I would like to opt for a new one as I got my current one like that. Do you think/have experience on what options I have if a) I go to the dealer and ask for an upgrade since the Match is giving problems to me and b) what are my options if VW deals with it directly and they decide what I can get. Would both give me the options to upgrade (ideally I am looking to get some sort of compensation through discount of the model I will go for) or will they try to get me the same car w/ the add-ons
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Luckily for me, I have no experience of needing to sort out a new car replacement, but I'd think that you might get somewhere pressing for an upgrade, though I'd expect any upgrade to be a VW fleet used car. If you start pushing too hard too soon, it might sound a bit like you picked the wrong "level" of car in the first place and are using this issue to help resolve this - not that I'm suggesting that that is the case, I'm just trying to see VW's side of things. It is not beyond belief that VW might be happy to let you upgrade slightly, it seems that maybe you bought a factory ordered to your spec level car, if so, you must be in a good place in hoping for an upgrade even although the upgrade is missing some of your selected options, or maybe VW will just be glad to leave you in that loan car until they build another to your spec.

Warning, maybe we are all hoping for the worst case situation for your own car, it might get sorted quickly!

I know that VW are not as snotty as they used to be, ie when I had a Ford and looked to change to a VW - many years ago, it was a case of "if you don't buy it someone else will!" - maybe the very reason why I converted to VW group via the personal import route - when that option existed!
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Understandable. Hence why, all these small talks regarding an "upgrade" from my current car is only here and I haven't mentioned a single thing to them regarding this.

A bit of an update; the person (manager of the location) that sold me the car gave me a call to check up on the car and has arranged an appointment to meet me and go through the replacement process. The plan is to meet him, discuss the options and then, if there is room, press for an upgrade. I am discussing options to upgrade, however, I am more than happy to get my original car back or a replacement with all my specs in them. The upgrade thought is only coming because they've put me in a hassle for a good 3-4 weeks so it's on their part to make me happy as my dad is looking to get a Golf R. He reassured me that we will work it out so I am hopeful I will get my one back (which I am happy to get) or best case scenario get an upgrade at the price of the one I am paying for.
RUM4MO wrote: I'd think that you might get somewhere pressing for an upgrade, though I'd expect any upgrade to be a VW fleet used car. I'm just trying to see VW's side of things. It is not beyond belief that VW might be happy to let you upgrade slightly, it seems that maybe you bought a factory ordered to your spec level car, if so, you must be in a good place in hoping for an upgrade even although the upgrade is missing some of your selected options.
You think if they do offer me an upgrade it will be through the VW staff used fleet cars? If that is the case I'd rather get my own car replaced with the same specs. I know it might sound stupid, but this car being my first one (undergrad student here) and the fact that I got it brand-new it doesn't play down that I am paying brand-new money for something already used/part-used by someone else. If they do offer me a fleet used car with the decreased price (market price of the car at the moment) I will be more than happy to get an upgrade and get that one.
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Understandable, but honestly speaking, I love my Match and the specs that I put. If anything else, they give me a replacement of my car I will be more than happy to take it, but since they have put me into hassle for the last 2-3 weeks I don't see why they can't let me walk out with a R-line for the same price as the of the Match (difference of about 1.5-2k if I recall) as a way of compensating a customer. Not looking to push them for the R-Line as I would be equally happy to get my own model and specs anyway as I love it.
DamnRian wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:I'd think that you might get somewhere pressing for an upgrade, though I'd expect any upgrade to be a VW fleet used car.
You think so? I mean it doesn't go down too well for me because I purchased a car which was brand-new and with specific specs that matched my needs. I am paying effectively for a car that is brand-new and the according price. I would be, however, more than happy to walk out with a GT or R-Line used fleet car if they lowered the price to the used market value price of that car. Not sure if I want to pay premium price for a '16 plate or '66 used car. If that makes sense.

Little update: The person who sold me the car from the original dealership has called me today and wanted an update. I told him they haven't done any work and nothing will be done until Tuesday. Scheduled an appointment for Wednesday where we discuss the replacement options and whatnot. Haven't told anyone about me wanting an upgrade but I will discuss this with him if I see he is willing to do something to compensate. He said he's sorry about it and will do anything he can to accommodate us, so I guess I can try and fit in the request of the R-line for my Match Edition? Any suggestions on how do I go about it to get them to accept it would be appreciated it but him and I have been in touch frequently so I am hoping he will pull a few strings to get it.
Last edited by DamnRian on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

DamnRian wrote:
d-ash wrote:Stay away from diesel; who knows what will happen to taxation on diesels down the line...

My 1.2 is a pleasure to drive and doesn't require a lot of revving seeing as the turbo kicks in around 2000rpm.

The 1.0 provides more power but may not be quite as smooth due to its 3 cylinders.

The R-Line has the looks (a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing !!)
As I mentioned to the fellow user above, for some reason when I go to the configuration for a brand new R-Line it only comes up w/1.0L MT or DSG and nothing else. Whereas the GT just gives the standard 1.4 option and nothing else. Should I go to the dealership directly and ask for a 1.2/1.4? or do the 2017 ones have only 1.0L
When the cars in next about the situation I'd just politely ask at this point what's the likelihood of a complete replacement at this stage of the process, and then ask if you are to get a replacement can you select a different sub model like the r-line etc.

I get the models of the configuration part 1.0 1.2 petrols and 1.4 diesel, then the GT 1.4 petrol. Also i think the 1.2 i drove was the 60 bhp version so would explain it more for having to rev it so highly. I think I'd go for a 1.2 petrol R-line, looks too damn good especially when (in my area) there's very very few maybe 2. Plus a remap would sort the power difference if it bothered you, but the 1.4 could take the power easier than the 1.2 in my opinion as it's just detuned for the engine downsizing market
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Willni wrote:
DamnRian wrote:
d-ash wrote:Stay away from diesel; who knows what will happen to taxation on diesels down the line...

My 1.2 is a pleasure to drive and doesn't require a lot of revving seeing as the turbo kicks in around 2000rpm.

The 1.0 provides more power but may not be quite as smooth due to its 3 cylinders.

The R-Line has the looks (a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing !!)
As I mentioned to the fellow user above, for some reason when I go to the configuration for a brand new R-Line it only comes up w/1.0L MT or DSG and nothing else. Whereas the GT just gives the standard 1.4 option and nothing else. Should I go to the dealership directly and ask for a 1.2/1.4? or do the 2017 ones have only 1.0L
When the cars in next about the situation I'd just politely ask at this point what's the likelihood of a complete replacement at this stage of the process, and then ask if you are to get a replacement can you select a different sub model like the r-line etc.

I get the models of the configuration part 1.0 1.2 petrols and 1.4 diesel, then the GT 1.4 petrol. Also i think the 1.2 i drove was the 60 bhp version so would explain it more for having to rev it so highly. I think I'd go for a 1.2 petrol R-line, looks too damn good especially when (in my area) there's very very few maybe 2. Plus a remap would sort the power difference if it bothered you, but the 1.4 could take the power easier than the 1.2 in my opinion as it's just detuned for the engine downsizing market
Thanks for the advice Willni, appreciate it. Will go with this approach and hopefully it works out for the best. Speaking with my original dealership and the person who sold me the car, he assured me that it is most likely going to be a replacement. Scheduled an appointment to sort it all out and discuss the replacement on Wednesday.

Unfortunately I learnt to drive DSG because stick driving was something I didn't want to spend much time on although I know how to drive because my cars are going to be all DSG. Therefore, I can't get a stick since I am not 100% comfortable with it.

Just checked, the DSG has 1.0L only 110PS so that's the only option I have. Will a remap help on a DSG? Looking for something loud (would install an exhaust since the R-Line doesn't make too much noise) and fast (remap would do) at this point if I am getting R-Line
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

DamnRian wrote: Thanks for the advice Willni, appreciate it. Will go with this approach and hopefully it works out for the best. Speaking with my original dealership and the person who sold me the car, he assured me that it is most likely going to be a replacement. Scheduled an appointment to sort it all out and discuss the replacement on Wednesday.

Unfortunately I learnt to drive DSG because stick driving was something I didn't want to spend much time on although I know how to drive because my cars are going to be all DSG. Therefore, I can't get a stick since I am not 100% comfortable with it.

Just checked, the DSG has 1.0L only 110PS so that's the only option I have. Will a remap help on a DSG? Looking for something loud (would install an exhaust since the R-Line doesn't make too much noise) and fast (remap would do) at this point if I am getting R-Line
The 1.0 will sound good with an exhaust like half a v6 lol, but I can't remember the exact figure (around 250-350 i think) but there's a limit on what the gearbox can take in newton metres (torque) and it's not that's high so I'd be weary of a remap in that regard, especially if it's a new car. They need properly broken in and I wouldn't risk a risk remap gain of 30-50 brake for 3 years warranty.

If you did want a remap it will help if it's done properly so there's no high or flat spots in acceleration.
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Willni wrote:
DamnRian wrote: Thanks for the advice Willni, appreciate it. Will go with this approach and hopefully it works out for the best. Speaking with my original dealership and the person who sold me the car, he assured me that it is most likely going to be a replacement. Scheduled an appointment to sort it all out and discuss the replacement on Wednesday.

The 1.0 will sound good with an exhaust like half a v6 lol, but I can't remember the exact figure (around 250-350 i think) but there's a limit on what the gearbox can take in newton metres (torque) and it's not that's high so I'd be weary of a remap in that regard, especially if it's a new car. They need properly broken in and I wouldn't risk a risk remap gain of 30-50 brake for 3 years warranty.

If you did want a remap it will help if it's done properly so there's no high or flat spots in acceleration.
Do you recommend any particular exhaust system? I was thinking to go with the custom made Powerflow twin exhaust system. Not the full, just the back (according to them it's better for the Polos). Half a v6 sounds awesome :lol:

Was thinking to get this type of sound at Powerflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjhWZQap3yM

To be fair, a remap is something I wanted to stay well aware from because of warranty issue and the fact that it's a pain if it is not done properly, but looks like a lot of R/GTI Polos have done it and are enjoying their extra power. Not to mention since I am 20 insurance will be a big big problem. Some say not to mention it but we all know it will backfire one day or another for the worst. Also because of the fact that in year 3/4 of my car I am more likely to change it so I don't want to have problems with the dealership or private when I want to get a new car.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe I'm being stupid/dumb or cautious, but at a young age and not yet earning big money, I'd expect that last thing that you would do is to go and modify a brand new car - that is surely only an option for an older fart like me that could just shrug my shoulders if the car went t**s up while under warranty and VW walked away leaving you totally with a serious problem and a worthless almost brand new car.

It is beginning to sound like while you wanted to own a brand new car, you have done that at the point where you could fund it, while a secondhand maybe Golf or Leon with a bit more power would have given me a lot more car for your money - and still have some cash to modify that secondhand Golf/Leon when it ran out of warranty?

I'm not trying to be hard on you, just trying to give some honest advice!
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

RUM4MO wrote:Maybe I'm being stupid/dumb or cautious, but at a young age and not yet earning big money, I'd expect that last thing that you would do is to go and modify a brand new car - that is surely only an option for an older fart like me that could just shrug my shoulders if the car went t**s up while under warranty and VW walked away leaving you totally with a serious problem and a worthless almost brand new car.

It is beginning to sound like while you wanted to own a brand new car, you have done that at the point where you could fund it, while a secondhand maybe Golf or Leon with a bit more power would have given me a lot more car for your money - and still have some cash to modify that secondhand Golf/Leon when it ran out of warranty?

I'm not trying to be hard on you, just trying to give some honest advice!
Appreciate the advice! Being honest, I chose to switch to a Polo for insurance purposes as last year I paid 4.7k to insure the C250 that I had. Hence, the reason to buy an economical car and modify it (to an extent where it doesn't affect warranty or the car itself; tints, exhaust, LED lights) and at the same time lower the premium I am paying as in 3/4 year times I will switch cars regardless if I modify it or not.

The remap only came to the talk when I believe the user with the R-Line suggested me to do it, but I am quite skeptical in touching the likes of the engine and parts that could harm/affect the car. Certainly not doing it at this stage, as you wisely suggested.

Happy Easter by the way! Appreciate the responses in this period.
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

Careful; replacement exhaust is likely to affect the warranty

LED headlights are standard equipment on the R-Line
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Better to put some Xenon or blue/ish lights or to keep the standard R-line ones? I want both daytime and normal to be white.
d-ash wrote:Careful; replacement exhaust is likely to affect the warranty
Not planning to do the full exhaust system, just the back. Will it still void warranty? Asking at the dealership they said only if it has been completely replaced but warranty should be still on if not touched completely but just done the back.

By the way, thanks for the advice on the R-Line. Test drove the DSG 1.0L 110PS and it was lovely. Now just a matter of convincing them to give it out as a replacement ahh :)
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Warranty is only voided in the area that has been modified eg suspension. Plenty of people change their cat back and have no problems with warranty, I'd recommend a milltek cat back deep and subtle, like a factory performance one.

Insurance wise you'd actually find a mk7 golf would be cheaper to insure than a 6c polo. I honestly can say with an R-line you don't need to modify a thing especially the newest one. Only thing I'd do would be put 17 inch bbs vz/ch/ch-r on it. Lights from vw come white now with the leds
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

DamnRian wrote:Better to put some Xenon or blue/ish lights or to keep the standard R-line ones? I want both daytime and normal to be white.
On the R-Line, the DRLs and headlights are all LED; only the foglights and kerb marker lights (the ones that come on when you are turning at low speed) are the old halogens

You can see the U shaped DRLs in the headlight units, along with white individual LEDs in centre of low beam and high beam reflectors in pic below... Image
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Willni wrote:Warranty is only voided in the area that has been modified eg suspension. Plenty of people change their cat back and have no problems with warranty, I'd recommend a milltek cat back deep and subtle, like a factory performance one.

Insurance wise you'd actually find a mk7 golf would be cheaper to insure than a 6c polo. I honestly can say with an R-line you don't need to modify a thing especially the newest one. Only thing I'd do would be put 17 inch bbs vz/ch/ch-r on it. Lights from vw come white now with the leds
Do you not recommend fitting a Powerflow exhaust? The person there recommended me the thing you did and told me it's my choice where I'd like a single or twin exhaust at the back, which is the only thing that will "significantly" change.

Maybe it's where I live or I am being too honest in the insurance questions but literally the 6R is the only car along w/a Corsa and Fiesta are the ones with the lowest premium. I tried a 2014 Golf and I also tried a Civic normal and R-type and all three gave me quite a high premium.