Problem with the brand new Polo Match

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DamnRian
New
Drives: VW Polo Match

Problem with the brand new Polo Match

Post by DamnRian »

Hey guys,

1st post here, but not the one I wanted to start it off with so hopefully you guys can help me out here!

Purchased my brand-new Polo Match 1.2 TSI BlueMotion Turbo (DSG) a month or so ago and it has been running pretty nicely ever since, until 2 weeks ago.

I started noticing when driving in the quiet (helps me relax for some reason) that along with the engine noise the noise of a chain running (like when you ride a bicycle and then you stop peddling) is also present under the bonnet. This noise occurs when the engine is cold, in idle, or the car is cruising below 40mph. Anything above 40, when the car picks up serious speed the noise goes off. Slowing down, makes the chain noise comeback or when just putting the foot down the accelerator.

I have done some research online before calling my dealership and have found out that it could be a chain rattling noise coming from the left side of the engine. So, calling up I reported the problem and took into the servicing team this morning. Went to a drive, which lasted a minute or so before he heard the anomaly in the noise inside and outside the car. After spending the whole day with it they confirmed it is not a problem with the chain because the chain on my 6R is different and it can't rattle (he mentioned a different type of chain which I can't remember now) but they are not entirely sure where the noise is coming from since it is not showing up on their computers.

They gave me a rental for the moment and stated that they will be looking to take parts away from the left side of the engine and find out through "trial and error" where the noise is coming from. Now, I am a bit worried regarding this since it's a brand-new car and a month into it it already has a problem that needs pars to be taken off as well as the fact that the rental they gave me (same as mine / 2017 Polo) had this issue too, slight noise to the chain (seems like the chain although they say no) and when I accelerate into hilly areas especially the noise can be heard (same as my car). This is what makes me worried, is it a coincidence or the noise (annoying noise!) should be there. They re-assured me that they will try to find the problem but not 100% sure if they can fix it or find the problem. Does anyone know what it could be?

I immediately called my original dealership (bought it from Citygate in London) and reported this problem to the manager who helped me choose the car. He told me that rest assured they will contact the Citygate that has my car and get a final report off of them and if the problem can't be fixed they will contact VW directly, report this and immediately order a replacement car with the same specifications. However, this cannot be done until they get a concrete conclusion on what the problem is, why can't it be fixed.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas, I have been on this forum as a lurker since wanting to buy a VW Polo and I'd like to thank all of you who helped others and also helped me. Hope to hear some responses! :)

-R
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Problem with the brand new Polo Match

Post by RUM4MO »

That engine has a cambelt so it will not have any chain type noises as per the previous engines might.

My wife has that engine, or at least the 110PS version in her August 2015 Polo SEL 6MT and it does not have any nasty sounding noises.

I'd also be very concerned about the engine on a brand new car needing to get repaired but under the trading laws I think that they need to be given one chance to sort it out completely - or face replacing the car. I'm sure if I have got that wrong someone will correct me!

Good luck! (a bit worrying that the loan car sounds roughly the same, I hope that it is not just that you are tuned into that type of noise now - so might still hear it on your fixed car when you get it back!)

Edit:- the left side of the engine (the cabin side of the engine) is where the turbo charger lives so I'd hope that that is where this noise is coming from.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

RUM4MO wrote: Edit:- the left side of the engine (the cabin side of the engine) is where the turbo charger lives so I'd hope that that is where this noise is coming from.
If the chain noise was coming from the turbo I'd be worried, although least you'd know what the problem is and would get a new turbo
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Exactly, cambelt so there's no problem with that since they've checked that already upon my concerns.

Thank you for the insight. Upon speaking to the manager he said if by Tuesday/Wednesday they can't fix the problem he will take it up to VW and go for the replacement. Do you know if by any chance it is possible for me to get an upgrade (get an R-line or GT) instead of the one I have now? I expect them to give me the opportunity since they've given me some good hassle since purchasing the car.

The current dealer where the car is placed is suggesting that VW will highly consider a replacement if they (the dealer where the car is) have given me a car already (same spec but doesn't have my extras; roof, foldable mirrors, climate and voice ctrl) so I have rejected that option. Plus the car has done 3500 miles or so, which is not how I purchased my car (brand-new). Is there any way they can force me to get the used ones in their dealership? My friend said to pull the finance off if they do so.
RUM4MO wrote:Good luck! (a bit worrying that the loan car sounds roughly the same, I hope that it is not just that you are tuned into that type of noise now - so might still hear it on your fixed car when you get it back!)
Yes, that's really odd and I am trying to get my head around it! I tried having my parents in it and double check it and they can hear it too (they haven't hear the one in my original car). I have noticed on the rental, that when I accelerate, and it goes from D2-D3-D4 that's excavate when the noise of that "chain" keeps making. Shifting gears causes the noise as well as when the car is under 40mph and my foot is scraping/holding down the accelerator.

By the way, do you suggest telling the manager, who is dealing with my car, that the rental makes the noise too and he can jump in the car to hear it or should I just wait what they find in my car? The stripping process will commence on Tuesday to find the problem. A few VW owners told me to hold it off to see what they can find. I don't want him to turn around and say "this car makes the noise too? It's a common noise then!"
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Willni wrote:
RUM4MO wrote: Edit:- the left side of the engine (the cabin side of the engine) is where the turbo charger lives so I'd hope that that is where this noise is coming from.
If the chain noise was coming from the turbo I'd be worried, although least you'd know what the problem is and would get a new turbo
They said apparently it's not the timing chain or anything chain related. They can't find the problem at all but if it's the turbo it looks like I might have to rush to get a bran-new replacement.
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

Could the noise be coming from the DSG box?

I wouldn't mention that you can hear the noise in the loan car. That would be VW's cue to suggest that what you're hearing is normal and to dismiss any claim for a replacement.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Might sound stupid but what fuel are you putting in it? used to be with old gti golf's you got a rattling from cheap fuel but went away when you filled up with premium
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

d-ash wrote:Could the noise be coming from the DSG box?
I wouldn't mention that you can hear the noise in the loan car. That would be VW's cue to suggest that what you're hearing is normal and to dismiss any claim for a replacement.
Thanks for the advice d-ash. Appreciate it.

Not the DSG for sure, they have dismissed any claims that I have made (chain, gearbox and engine) but they're not quite sure where the noise is coming from. :?

Noticed that you have a 1.2 R-Line. Considering (if the replacement happens) to get myself a 2017 R-Line 1.0. Do you recommend it? Thinking to get it near the same price as the one I am paying for now as a "compensation". Either that or a 1.4 GT
Last edited by DamnRian on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Willni wrote:Might sound stupid but what fuel are you putting in it? used to be with old gti golf's you got a rattling from cheap fuel but went away when you filled up with premium
Thinking about it now, it's not stupid at all to be fair. I am putting Unleaded but not the premium one (only found one station that had it and tried it once) but at that time (a week or so into the purchase) the small was not there (or it was quiet since I did not hear it and had music on most of the time).
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

DamnRian wrote:
Willni wrote:Might sound stupid but what fuel are you putting in it? used to be with old gti golf's you got a rattling from cheap fuel but went away when you filled up with premium
Thinking about it now, it's not stupid at all to be fair. I am putting Unleaded but not the premium one (only found one station that had it and tried it once) but at that time (a week or so into the purchase) the small was not there (or it was quiet since I did not hear it and had music on most of the time).
If so on the golf it was a very simple fix for dealers think it's a clip on the passengers side they put in, you shouldn't have to run premium on a 1.2 tbh, as to the r-line vs gt it's really looks vs power. If you are picking the r-line make sure you try the 1.4 diesel engine and 1.2, so you don't have to rev the nuts off it to get the 30mph lol
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

Stay away from diesel; who knows what will happen to taxation on diesels down the line...

My 1.2 is a pleasure to drive and doesn't require a lot of revving seeing as the turbo kicks in around 2000rpm.

The 1.0 provides more power but may not be quite as smooth due to its 3 cylinders.

The R-Line has the looks (a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing !!)
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

I have the 1.0 litre TSI and it's a great little engine, I don't notice any more vibration than my previous 4 cylinder cars.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

See review below (it's a different car but the same engine)

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/06 ... -golf.html
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

d-ash wrote:Could the noise be coming from the DSG box?

I'd agree with that thought, maybe after your car is fixed/replaced tell the dealer that as a parting comment?

To the OP, I would not expect that the dealer would try to fob you off with that loaner car or any other used car, unless you were pushing for an upgrade and were willing to take a used R-Line GT off them, though as you are dealing directly with VW on this matter, maybe they will control which option is open to you.
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

Willni wrote:
DamnRian wrote:
If so on the golf it was a very simple fix for dealers think it's a clip on the passengers side they put in, you shouldn't have to run premium on a 1.2 tbh, as to the r-line vs gt it's really looks vs power. If you are picking the r-line make sure you try the 1.4 diesel engine and 1.2, so you don't have to rev the nuts off it to get the 30mph lol
Hm, went to the dealership today. They still haven't found anything at all. They don't want to admit it or something but it clearly looks like it's going to be a replacement since it's under 6 months.

For some reason, when I go to customise the Polo R-Line it only comes w/1.0L MT or DSG. I want to get the brand new one but nothing for 1.2 or 1.4 comes up. The GT is the only one 1.4 standard. Strange!
DamnRian
New

Post by DamnRian »

d-ash wrote:Stay away from diesel; who knows what will happen to taxation on diesels down the line...

My 1.2 is a pleasure to drive and doesn't require a lot of revving seeing as the turbo kicks in around 2000rpm.

The 1.0 provides more power but may not be quite as smooth due to its 3 cylinders.

The R-Line has the looks (a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing !!)
As I mentioned to the fellow user above, for some reason when I go to the configuration for a brand new R-Line it only comes up w/1.0L MT or DSG and nothing else. Whereas the GT just gives the standard 1.4 option and nothing else. Should I go to the dealership directly and ask for a 1.2/1.4? or do the 2017 ones have only 1.0L